Thinking of buying and have Q's - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of buying and have Q's

I am thinking about buying a Brutale, and have some questions for the forum.

Currently I ride a BMW R1150R. I was thinking that my next bike would be a K1200R but really, really like the Brutale. Can anyone compare the K1200R (or S) to the Brutale? I plan to rent a K1200R for a day, then hopefully take a Brutale test drive.

The biggest problem in buying a Brutale is that I am in Seattle and the nearest dealer is in Idaho (6+ hrs away!!). So I can't really take it to the dealer for service etc. How do I handle this? Do you think a Ducati shop could/would do it? I have great local support for all brands except MVAgusta. What is the maint schedule like? How do I support this bike in Seattle?

I can probably handle simple stuff like fluid changes, I currently do the valve adjust and TB sync on my BMW, but it's really easy. Does anyone know how the Brutale maint compares?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Established Member

opinions brutale vs bmw

First off the k1200r is a much bigger bike and also much heavier...I think totally 2 different machines....go ride both....the brutale is a very specific machine designed to handle curvey roads fast and then to stare at in your garage at the design and quality of it. Servicing i think would be easy except for throttle body adjustments and the like....fluid changes are easy. But before making a commitment...go drive them back to back to see whats for YOU. Its what I did and i actually bought a triumph sprint st 1050....I prefer it over the BMW as well as I tested it against the k1200s...but the brutale i will own as a second bike in the coming year or so.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 PM

You could look for a used one that's just had the 1st service done and you'll be good for a while. I've seen several for sell in that category. Ric is right though, when investing this much $, test drive oneto see if it's what you're after. A few pone calls will determine if your Duc deaer can service an MV, mine serviced my Triumph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Established Member

Compare a BMW and an MV?
Are you serious?
There is NO question.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 PM

I've ridden both (own a R1150RS, K1200LT, and a Brutale among others) and the answer is ..... depends on what you want and are looking for. The distance you are looking to ride is the most important difference in my opinion. The BMW K1200R is smoother, more comfortable, gets better mileage, and has much longer range (40+ mpg vs about 28) than the Brutale.

The Brutale is more fun in the twisties, better looking, and just more different. It's guaranteed to make you smile whether you are riding it (relatively short distances) or just admiring it parked.

I could live with the BMW being my only bike; the Brutale wouldn't work for me in that respect. If I already had a bike for sport-touring, or hauled a bike to the twisties rather than rode it there, the Brutale would be my pick.

As far as maintenance goes the K1200 and Brutale should be fairly similar since both are 4 cylinder, water cooled, and have shim under bucket valves. The 2 cylinder, oil cooled, R is easier for the backyard mechanic; takes me less than an hour to change oil, check and adjust valves (screw and locknut), and balance the throttle bodies on my R.

Tom

Last edited by TPadden; 04-07-2007 at 11:35 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden
I've ridden both (own a R1150RS, K1200LT, and a Brutale among others) and the answer is ..... depends on what you want and are looking for. The distance you are looking to ride is the most important difference in my opinion. The BMW K1200R is smoother, more comfortable, gets better mileage, and has much longer range (40+ mpg vs about 28) than the Brutale.

The Brutale is more fun in the twisties, better looking, and just more different. It's guaranteed to make you smile whether you are riding it (relatively short distances) or just admiring it parked.

I could live with the BMW being my only bike; the Brutale wouldn't work for me in that respect. If I already had a bike for sport-touring, or hauled a bike to the twisties rather than rode it there, the Brutale would be my pick.

As far as maintenance goes the K1200 and Brutale should be fairly similar since both are 4 cylinder, water cooled, and have shim under bucket valves. The 2 cylinder, oil cooled, R is easier for the backyard mechanic; takes me less than an hour to change oil, check and adjust valves (screw and locknut), and balance the throttle bodies on my R.

Tom
What he said! If I didn't have my MG Breva 1100 I don't think I could get along with only a Brutale. I use my 910R on Sunday mornings (tomorrow - Yay!) to ride up the twisty road.

As for maintenance, it takes some equipment, knowledge and patience; but if you're mechanically inclined and have some experience it's not all that bad.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

I do plan to ride both the K1200R and the Brutale back to back...

So far the Brutale sounds really great, but I do like to do some 300 mile days now and then. It takes me a half hour to get out of the city to any roads that are even worth riding. My typical ride is 3 or 4 hrs of twisty fun with some city and freeway thrown in to get there and back. I also do a couple multi-day trips a year. This is all for fun, I rarely commute or anything like that on a bike. There is some concern that the Brutale might not be good for the long rides... true?

My R1150R is just ok on the long trips. It has no fairing, screen or protection of any sort, so I'm used to that, but the suspension and seat are comfy.. I am guessing that the Brutale couldn't be any worse, but maybe I'm wrong??
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU
I do plan to ride both the K1200R and the Brutale back to back...

So far the Brutale sounds really great, but I do like to do some 300 mile days now and then. It takes me a half hour to get out of the city to any roads that are even worth riding. My typical ride is 3 or 4 hrs of twisty fun with some city and freeway thrown in to get there and back. I also do a couple multi-day trips a year. This is all for fun, I rarely commute or anything like that on a bike. There is some concern that the Brutale might not be good for the long rides... true?

My R1150R is just ok on the long trips. It has no fairing, screen or protection of any sort, so I'm used to that, but the suspension and seat are comfy.. I am guessing that the Brutale couldn't be any worse, but maybe I'm wrong??

I like the bmw's...i was also looking at them when I was gunning for a brutale. test rode the 1200S, they never had availability to ride the R. It's a pretty fast bike tho, I liked it. But I've already got a touring bike, so I wasn't looking for exactly that. The Brutale is less of a tourer, though some folks on here will beg to differ. I wouldn't call it comfortable, but compared to an F4, it's a couch. Very upright, compact package. Footpegs can be too high for some, gear lever too close.

That said, I'll be on a Brutale for 10 days in Italy in about 4 weeks. I'll probably be a better judge of how it goes for several long days after that! But here it is just day rides, maybe I'll get an overnight at some point, but that's it!

-colin

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoLunch
That said, I'll be on a Brutale for 10 days in Italy in about 4 weeks. I'll probably be a better judge of how it goes for several long days after that! .......-colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU
I also do a couple multi-day trips a year..... There is some concern that the Brutale might not be good for the long rides... true?
TRUE !!!!

I've toured Europe/ Italy and believe me 10 days in Italy is nothing compared to distances travelled in the US. In Europe there are more places to visit and things to see much closer together .

As I've said everything is relative. For me a short ride is 300 miles. An easy 10 day trip in the US would be 5,000 - 6,000 miles; I took my BMW off it's 36 month / 36,000 mile warranty in 10 months. I purchased my Brutale in February and already have 3,000 miles on it.

I know my riding distances are longer than "normal" but my point is I KNOW about taking trips - and the Brutale really is a local/ trailer bike. I don't trailer soooooo - my recent 2 day 1,000 mile trip to Key West on the Brutale was an experience I won't be soon repeating. I will be hauling it to the Ozarks when I go to my summer home; there it will be the perfect bike. When I take a trip it will be staying home .

The Brutale is a great bike - and my current favorite, but I'm trying to give an honest opinion ....... a "long rider" it ain't!

Tom
Weeki Wachee, Fl.
Gainesville, Mo.
Attached Images

Last edited by TPadden; 04-08-2007 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

And what exactly was it for you that made it not a "long rider"? I can deal with the lack of fairing/screen... so what bothers you? My long trips will be limited to 3 days or so, with most of my rides being 1/2 day local rides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode