Brutale sale prices vs Kelly Blue Book - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Brutale sale prices vs Kelly Blue Book

At this time, I have a veritable cornucopia of local Brutale's to pick from. All of them have asking prices around $1500 to $2000 above KBB's "retail" price. KBB's trade-in price is a lot lower than that. In the car world, cars typically sell for closer to trade-in than retail.

For example.

2007 910R asking $8700. KBB retail $7000
2009 1078RR asking $11.5K. KBB retail $9500
2010 1090RR asking $13.5K. KBB retail $11.5K

All these bikes have sub 5K miles and look to be in excellent condition.

So either KBB or the sellers are out of touch. This is a big gap in perceived values! What is the collective experience on used prices?

I wonder if there is enough of a statistical sample size of Brutale sales to accurately come up with a price? Nadaguides, for instance, won't provide a number due to this.

-steve

Guzzis: V7 Sport, Eldo, V50, Griso 8V SE, Stelvio NTX.
Buells: XB12Ss, RS1200 Westwind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Do any of them have mods/upgrades?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Do any of them have mods/upgrades?
I believe all are mostly stock. Usually, mods don't add much value to a bike.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM

Nada

Most dealers use NADA, not KBB . And I know they both list different values for cars, bikes etc.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Maybe dealers get a different NADA guide, but the NADA website does not show values for low production vehicles like MV Agusta or Moto Guzzi.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 AM

People can ask any price but what they sell for is a different story.Go to Ebay,click on advanced,check completed listings and you will see that not very many bikes sold.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Established Member

Speaking for myself, I've always used the KBB/NADA value as a basis when I'm looking to purchase... mostly because i ride the hell out of my bikes and thats (KBB/NADA) a ballpark value for what insurance is gonna look at.. As for mods, sellers are always looking to recoup SOMETHING for what they've put into the bike.

I recently picked up a '09 Brute 1078RR with a few grand worth of mods.. I feel i got a good deal and as long as i'm happy with it, that's all that's important.

If you feel the price is too high ( i'm sure you're doing your research), pass.... one you're comfortable with ( model/price etc..) will come along.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 AM

For reference, I sold my 07 910R for $6k last fall. My sale price was reflected the demographics of my area. I live no where near a big city and most people have no idea what a MV is.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk140 View Post
For reference, I sold my 07 910R for $6k last fall. My sale price was reflected the demographics of my area. I live no where near a big city and most people have no idea what a MV is.
Thanks, nk, for the reference. You gave the bike away! I don't think the same demographics apply to the SF bay area, where I am. If anything, this area, and LA, likely allows a price premium. However, MV's are rare, and so are prospective buyers.

I've been watching the seller of the local '10 1090RR drop the price each week. It would still be more than I can afford at this time, and I'd worry I'd kill myself on the thing! The 910S/R is already insanely fast compared to the Guzzi's I normally ride! I do like the upgrades on the 1090RR, but I like the original Tamborini aspect of the 910.

Since I"ve been on a bike buying binge the last year (testing my wife's patience!), I may just bide my time until my buddy decides to part with his silver/red 910S.

-steve

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Mince,
You hit the nail right on the head with your comment on how MV bikes and MV customers are rare. Just like Rick says on Pawn Stars, "just because something is rare doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money." The key here being that you have to find the person who really wants that specific item. As as you so eloquently captured it, that's going to be rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
Thanks, nk, for the reference. You gave the bike away! I don't think the same demographics apply to the SF bay area, where I am. If anything, this area, and LA, likely allows a price premium. However, MV's are rare, and so are prospective buyers.

I've been watching the seller of the local '10 1090RR drop the price each week. It would still be more than I can afford at this time, and I'd worry I'd kill myself on the thing! The 910S/R is already insanely fast compared to the Guzzi's I normally ride! I do like the upgrades on the 1090RR, but I like the original Tamborini aspect of the 910.

Since I"ve been on a bike buying binge the last year (testing my wife's patience!), I may just bide my time until my buddy decides to part with his silver/red 910S.

-steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode