Dilemma: Brutale 750 or Monster 696? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Dilemma: Brutale 750 or Monster 696?

Hello guys!
I am a new rider (6 months) and i want to buy a bike as i share one at the moment with my father. I want to use it daily to go to work (about 25 km, 10 of them in traffic) and of course to make my fast rides around town. I have always wanted a monster. But I do not like so much the new one. I have fallen in love with a brutale 750. I rode one and I can't stop thinking of it. Even that everyone suggests that the duc is a wiser purchase and i will enjoy it better, I want it. They say about the fuel consumption, the maintenance cost, the probable repairs' cost and the unpracticality. Even that I won't be capable to enjoy riding it because I am not enough experienced, as opposed to the duc that is more forgiving.
I am so confused. Help me guys!
The dilemma is between a brutale 750 reg. 2008 13.000 km (5000 euro) and a monster 696 2011 6.000 km (4500 euro).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 PM

New Site Garage
Definitively the Brutale! Imo much more bike and fun for your money. And there is nothing unwise about a Brutale, that is a reliable bike.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Big Randaddy

Chicks dig Brutie riders......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:43 PM

New Site Garage
I don't have a Brutale but have an older Monster. The Duc twin has nice engine braking which can be useful to newer riders, but the Brutale's inline four offers excitement the Duc can't match. Aesthetically, the MV wins hands down. Being that the Duc is an air cooled twin vs. the MV's water cooled four, maintenance could be less on the Duc as it is a simpler bike. You won't go wrong with either, so assuming both bikes are mechanically sound I'd buy with your heart. Which one tugs on your emotions?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 PM

I used to commute on my 750 Brutale, it's a great bike for that once you sort out the fueling and maybe get the fans to cut in a bit sooner.

I rode one of the smaller Monster, once, and haven't bothered since...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM

As a former Monster owner, I'd go for the Brute as well, better built, easier to ride both fast and slow, and IMO cheaper to maintain.

I'd thought that when I traded the Monster in, that I would miss it, I can honestly say that not one time have I missed it.

Between the two bikes you're considering there is a major performance gap (MV leading).
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
As a former Monster owner, I'd go for the Brute as well, better built, easier to ride both fast and slow, and IMO cheaper to maintain.

I'd thought that when I traded the Monster in, that I would miss it, I can honestly say that not one time have I missed it.

Between the two bikes you're considering there is a major performance gap (MV leading).
I agree totally. Having just bought a '09 Brutale, I've begun to forget my '06 Ducati S2R 1000!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Brutale?

Krv400;

Welcome to the Forum!

hands down the Brutale.....

'08 910R, in 23,000mi I've used 2 low beam bulbs and a hub bearing, obviously, tires and brakes don't count
I replaced the plastic fuel fittings with metal

a Ducati would be coming up on its 2nd Major Service (price one of those)

my Brutale uses zero oil....OK, 1-2 drops leak from the valve cover per month....not enough for me to want to fix it

the only issue with early Brutales is the SPU (Service Power Unit) under the cover on the right side. the ones that fail have a blue back, the black backed ones are good, the change over goes by VIN it's in the second sticky of this section

use that as a bargaining point on the price of the bike, if it has a blue one

the other thing to check, before even going on a test ride, is the glue on the headlight lens......the glue fails and the glass lens isn't cheap

my Brutale is the most fun bike I've ever had, period!

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies.
My heart tells me that i should buy the brut and that I would regret if not, as opposed to my brain that tells me that I should prefer the monster which i newer, more easy to ride and learn riding well and more fuel efficient ( I want to use it daily).
So confused....
But when I rode it and when I heard it, I knew I want it badly.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 AM

The upside to the monster is it'd be a years newer bike which is usually a good thing. I've had a couple monsters a 750 and 800, both were great bikes. You might also consider the 796. That said these are more entry level bikes and the performance is nowhere near what the 750 inline four brute.

I had a 910S brute and found the brakes pretty awful, and the fueling was a bit wonky as in very hard to modulate the throttle, it was pretty much on or off. Don't know if the 750 had the same issues, I'm guessing yes. Build quality on the Brute is far superior to the duc.

I'll be honest and it's only my opinion, but I think the duc would be a better commuter bike than the brute, it's a bit more docile, has better brakes and more than enough power. As stated a much newer bike as well.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode