Handlebar vibration report - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Handlebar vibration report

I've been struggling with the handlebar vibration issue. I ride MX (a 125 at that) so I'm no stranger to vibration. Thus, the excessive vibration at the throttle of my Brutale has had me concerned. No way I should be going numb after just 20 miles, not when I'm in excellent riding condition and have a lifetime of experience. I've ridden a lot of bikes and this just won't stand...so I've been particularly hot to solve this problem.

I tried new bar-ends. Didn't help, but didn't hurt either.

I tried the throttle spring removal trick. Didn't help. Made the throttle as light as an 85cc mx bike, but didn't help the vibes at all. In fact, I put the spring back because I prefer the firm, positive feel of the dual spring; it gives me better feedback.

I tried making sure I ride without tight sleeves. I tried cutting down on typing, Nintendo, and other aggravating activities. This helps somewhat, but does not solve the problem. It's something I should be doing anyway, so I continue.

Recently I tried the lead in the handlebars trick. Finally, this seems to have delivered real results. For awhile I didn't try this because I didn't know where to get lead shot around here. Eventually I found lead shot for cheap by walking into a dive shop. (I guess this only helps if you live near the ocean.) They sell it for $3.00 a pound, pre-weighed in nylon mesh bags for diving ballast. A two-pound bag should be sufficient. I bought three pounds and had plenty left over.

I removed a bar-end and poured the bb's in from a graduated cylinder. A Ratio-rite would also work. I rode around, they settled, and I packed in more.

Now the vibration is still present, but the throttle side vibration appears to be equal to the detectable, but not debilitating, vibration on the left side. I can feel what the bike's doing without going numb.

Because this only costs a few dollars and is fully reversible, I encourage all of you to try this before spending $60 a pop on bar ends, bar-snakes, or other pricey solutions.

I have a feeling steel bars, rubber mounted bar clamps, or a ball-bearing Scotts-type "twister" throttle tube would be worthy products for the industrious to try to create, but until then...lead BB's are my best recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Thanks manalagi101, I've been feeling the vibes recently as well. They've always been there but they really bothered me these last few rides. That tingling 'itch'. Same with the vibes from the foot pegs. Not nice. I don't know if I'll do anything about it, but I appreciate your thorough post. Ride safe and vibe free.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 06:27 PM

I've heard that these are the way to go! Good write-ups and reviews!

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstor...?idproduct=190

CURRENT RIDE
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

FORMER RIDES
'08 Ducati Hypermotard S
'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 S
'01 Ducati 996
'05 Ducati Monster S4R
'04 Yamaha R1
'01 Yamaha R1
'99 Ducati 748
'99 Yamaha R6
'92 Honda CBR600 F2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 PM
CHB

Never tried this but heard of some chopper dudes putting spray foam in the bar? Just my 2 cents!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:28 PM

awesome write up! I'll try it too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Established Member

I had the same problem with a Yamaha FZ1. I got the lead shot from a gun store. it worked great.
I traded the Yamaha for the Brutale, You ever buys the FZ1 is going to get a very unpleasent surprise if they remove the bar end weights. (I did warn the dealer).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 PM

feel the gripes with silicone. an old trick on gixxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalagi001
I've been struggling with the handlebar vibration issue. I ride MX (a 125 at that) so I'm no stranger to vibration. Thus, the excessive vibration at the throttle of my Brutale has had me concerned. No way I should be going numb after just 20 miles, not when I'm in excellent riding condition and have a lifetime of experience. I've ridden....

Brutale910
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Established Member

I have a new 750 Brutale & my hands do seem to get tired after riding after a while.

Do you think these the Heavier & thicker bar ends will accomodate the "Rizoma Reverse bar End Mirrors?" Does anyone know the diameter of the heavier bar ends?

I just purchased these mirrors cause the stock mirrors are pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM

In addition to weighted solid bar ends...why not fill the entire crossbar with silicone. It really doesn't add that much weight, and it will greatly nullify the vibration that's normally transmitted to the hands. Just an idea .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to t1n0m3n
I use a Throttle Rocker. I have found that when my hands go to sleep that I have been gripping the bars too tight. The throttle rocker allows me to just lay my throttle hand on top of the bar and let the heel of my hand control throttle inputs. Works great for braking and controlling the throttle at the same time too.

2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910s Silver/Red, Emoto Hugger
2004 Aprilia Tuono - Black - Leo Vince Ti Slip On, Gabro Chip, Fully Derestricted, Cycle Cat clipons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode