Custom paint suggestions? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Custom paint suggestions?

Ok, I've got the bug.... I've put on my midpipe and have ordered my sliders and barends... I've been researching rizoma mirrors and bmc airfilters and huggers.

HOWEVER, while I love my brutale and admire it's beauty, I can't help but think that the standard paint jobs are fine, but none of them are perfect. I settled on the black/red combo, which was my favorite but even that does not seem quite right. I like the Gladio (which seems similar to the 910r scheme) and the italia but $2500 seems an outrageous amount just for some new paint.

But after seeing pigiolino's friend's custom paint job (http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...hlight=friend), I've now found my mission in life. CUSTOM PAINT!

So onto my questions. Having never custom painted a bike before, I was wondering if anyone had some tips. Also, I have some concerns:

(1) Does custom painting affect the resale price? Suggestions on how to alleviate people's concerns that you are painting only to cover crash damage?

(2) How much should painting the tank, front fender and side panels cost? What's reasonable for a job that will of equivalent quality as the stock paint? Is it possible to get equivalent quality?

(3) Does anyone have any suggestions for custom painter in Northern California? Has anyone used CycleFinish in Redwood City?

(4) Any suggestion on color combos with the red frame (which I love)? I want the bike to look like a MV and not a Ducati or a Honda. If people have photos of good schemes, can they post them?

(5) Am I crazy to be messing with the colors of an otherwise perfect bike? Will I be regretting this after I've messed with this?

Thoughts would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM

I've been in the exact same position. I got a quote for a custom paint job and it ended up making more sense just to buy the Gladio kit. The Gladio paint is awesome. The tank is a masterpiece. I should say that I had some paint done before on a couple projects and I've been less than pleased with the work.

If you want something unique, more power to you. You're right, you definitely roll the dice to whether the cost makes your bike more or less valuable. It all depends on the buyer and obviously the quality of the work. We've all seen some really cool looking schemes -- ala Alka... And we've seen some horrendous, sacrilegious, grievious, atrocities.

Jack
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladio
I've been in the exact same position. I got a quote for a custom paint job and it ended up making more sense just to buy the Gladio kit. The Gladio paint is awesome. The tank is a masterpiece. I should say that I had some paint done before on a couple projects and I've been less than pleased with the work.

If you want something unique, more power to you. You're right, you definitely roll the dice to whether the cost makes your bike more or less valuable. It all depends on the buyer and obviously the quality of the work. We've all seen some really cool looking schemes -- ala Alka... And we've seen some horrendous, sacrilegious, grievious, atrocities.
How much did the Gladio kit cost you (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you do the install yourself and was it something a resonable unmechanical person could handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that alka did a Brutale Senna paint job. Coolest one I have ever seen. If I was going to do a custom job, I would stay close to the MV spirit...A Brurale Senna, AGO, or TAMBURINI!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy
How much did the Gladio kit cost you (if you don't mind me asking)? Did you do the install yourself and was it something a resonable unmechanical person could handle?
I did do the install myself. I'm sorry I don't recall the price. I could look it up tonight. RSDuce might know, he did the same deal. It isn't dificult. You need to know how to take the tank off yourself anyway. You'll need to exchange fuel pumps and you'll need new o-rings for the job.

Call Corse Superbikes at (262) 284-2725. Tell them Jack sent you and to give you a good price.

Don't forget you end up with a second set of bodywork, fender, tank, back panels as well as seats. You can e-bay them to offset the cost or keep them for track or whatever...

Also, keep in mind that the Brutale tank is plastic and might require some special materials to repain. Alka might be able to address this.

Jack
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM

You are right however that the R is very similar to the Gladio. A bit of a let down for me actually. But then again, the R doesn't have the RED frame which is killer.

There are other schemes as well as the Gladio. The America is another cool one and very unique.

Jack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog
I'm pretty sure that alka did a Brutale Senna paint job. Coolest one I have ever seen. If I was going to do a custom job, I would stay close to the MV spirit...A Brurale Senna, AGO, or TAMBURINI!!!
The Brutale Senna is mine.

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/alkatraxx_brutalesenna

For me, it is most beautiful of the Brutale ones. One of my friends has Galdio and the quality of the painting of my bike is quite higher.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auré
The Brutale Senna is mine.

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/alkatraxx_brutalesenna

For me, it is most beautiful of the Brutale ones. One of my friends has Galdio and the quality of the painting of my bike is quite higher.
Hi Aure- Yes, I love your bike! Can you tell me how you did it? Who did the paint?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

FYI, the price of the Gladio kit is $3100. I am beginning to think I should have sprung for the R....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy
Hi Aure- Yes, I love your bike! Can you tell me how you did it? Who did the paint?
Alkatraxx did the bike. He's a member of the forum. It's my idea. I like much the Senna but there's no Brutale version. I thus decided to create it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode