1/4 mile anyone? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
1/4 mile anyone?

There was a stationary dyno/quarter mile machine at the track tonight.

My best time of the night:

11.20 @ 136MPH
1.68 60 foot time

I can't remember much else except I was running consistently with better RTs with each run going from a .9, .7, then two .6's. It was a wierd feeling machine because if you just dumped the clutch, it's a dyno roller, so likely, it'd stall your bike because of the resistance. You had to feather it for a second, then just gas it. You could see your RPMs bog for a sec or two when you shoot out, then just squeel up like usual.

I did however learn there's a safety cooling circuit on my bike. Granted it was 50 degrees outside, we did 4 runs, and on one run, it got to 230 degrees and my bike wouldn't accelerate, kinda like when you run outta gas, it makes you decelerate. And the bike shuts off. At first I thought I blew the motor, but it started right up after being cooled down and ran as strong as it normally did. But on that run, I "coasted accross the finish line" with a near perfect RT of .600 and 11.7 @ 103 MPH, so I KNOW I woulda hit mid 10's, as I also missed shifting into second pretty badly. It was the best run for my buddy as well, seeing as how he was typically hittin 11.4's and on that last run, got a 10.97...

So I'm extatic about my times. Everybody was wondering if my bike was stock and/or what size it was. What they enjoyed the most was seeing somebody flog the living shit out of an MV. That, and they absolutely loved the intake growl.....

Also met somebody there with an MV1K (Next MV I think is what he said his name was)....pretty sweet I guess. Atleast now I'll have somebody to ride to bike week with, lol.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Heh...no love for the straight line run. Eh, I'm not much for a straight line race either, I just thought it was pretty sice I was close to the Magazine times, rather, the bike is capable of those times...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Oicdn,

I just keep shaking my head and wondering A) how you kept the front end down enough to approach 11's on this bike and B) how difficult/expensive it'll be to replace your now toasted clutch.

FWIW, I've gotten some slightly better times on standard bikes by using a dirt tracker start. Put it in 2nd, stand on the rear brake, rev it up to somewhere above 1/2 of redline (depending on the bike, of course), let the clutch out until you're feeling it engage (so you're rubbing the sh!t out of it), then slip it a little as the light goes green. It REALLY kills the clutch, but has gotten me RTs of .5 w/o fear of looping the bike. Also, the saved time on skipping the shift from 1st to 2nd can shave a good 10th or more off the run, even though the launch won't be quite as fast.

I still don't think I'll be trying it on this bike, but thanks for doing it and posting the results. Those ARE impressive numbers...and you're a bigger guy, IIRC?

Last edited by giomanach; 03-07-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
The Dude

um.... what's an RT?

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 AM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomanach
I still don't think I'll be trying it on this bike, but thanks for doing it and posting the results. Those ARE impressive numbers...and you're a bigger guy, IIRC?
thought nate was the skinny dude on some pics he posted before. can't totally remember tho....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 AM

It was run on a dyno machine, so you didnt have to worry about the wheelie factor right nate? RT is reaction time for those not in the know.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Yes, RT is reaction time.

It's a measure of how fast the rider/driver reacts to the starting lights. When the last amber light comes on, it's 0.5sec to the green light. The reaction timer starts counting the delay between when the amber comes on, and when the vehicle crosses the start line (trips a light beam).

A perfect reaction time is 0.5 sec. That means that the vehicle crossed the start line at EXACTLY the moment the green light lit.

A 0.6 RT says that the rider/driver was 0.1 sec behind the green light. Which is very, very, good.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
AVe

Last summer when I was doing the highspeed test I also made some test from 0-100km/, 0-200km/h, 100-0km/h and 0-402m.
I drove with Racelogic's V-Box. It gave me 0-100km/h 3,3-3,7sec, 0-200km/h 11,3-11,7sec. 0-402m about 11,8sec. Braking from 100 to 0 was about 3,7sec, but I made the braking looking my speedo so the starting speed is a little under 100km/h.
The day was sunny and the temp was about 30 degrees.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it was on a Dyno machine that was specifically for the 1/4, so there was no wheelie factor. But weight did factor in somehow, as he asked my weight before I straddled the bike. But either way, I only weight in at 160 soaking wet....so yeah, at 6'0", and 160, I'm a skinny guy...

My RT could have been better, but I wasn't revving the crap outta her, and that machine was a little funny. I was only bringing her to like 4K, and not dumping it, but not riding/killing it either. Kinda like you do when you take off from a light, just SLIGHTLY more aggressive. Alo, until the last run, I was using the clutch to shift, as it escaped my mind to go clutchless for whatever reason. I was shifting probably as fast though...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Sometimes I feel really dumb. I missed the first line of your post and didn't realize you were talking about stationary times. Obviously, it's not gonna loop if you're on a dyno.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in