Another potential new owner - with questions... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Another potential new owner - with questions...

Hello all,

Another newbie to this forum, quick intro - I am from Australia, I currently ride a Buell XB Lightning and previously a Speed Triple - so I am a streetfighter fan of some time and like riding the backroads and mountains around where I live.

I have been test riding alot of bikes and the Brutale in the 750 I liked the most of all, and have basically got a good deal ready on a new bike for next week but am worried about one thing in particular.

When I test rode another 750 I found ALOT of induction noise. By the end of a 30 minute spirited ride I was wishing I was wearing my ear plugs - its a nice sound but the volume level may mean I would need ear plugs all the time which is something I was actually wanting to move away from as I currently need them with the Buell and loud muffler slung under the rider... Is there bungs in air intakes that are then mostly pulled out (like other bikes seem to have to pass noise ride by tests) ? The bike I rode had 11000km on clock so may have been modified by previous owner (I would be buying a new bike)

Apart from that I really liked the bike alot - I was not able to test it over our typical less then smooth aussie roads so I am curious about its ability to track over inperfections and bumps but it felt well planted. This is very important as I do go away from typical sports bike roads to less travelled places and the road surfaces are not what you would call good at times.

And lastly the pegs are adjustable? so could I lower them by much?

thanks heaps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 AM

Firstly, welcome! Secondly, the Brutale is the bike to have, but to address your concerns:
A. Earplugs recommended for sure.
B. Not nice over road imperfections. Bumps really spoil the experience. The brute likes it smooth.
C. Pegs on the 750 are not adjustable, as far as I know. 910 pegs are adjustable. There are some really nice aftermarket rearsets of course.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 AM

Hi Iron Chef,

- Sometimes I wear earplugs, sometimes I don't. Yes it's loud but it's a wonderful loud. You get used to it.
- MV springs are very stiff for Aussie roads BUT suspension front and rear is fully adjustable (preload, rebound, high speed & low speed compression). If it's still too stiff once you've played with it, softer aftermarket springs are available.
- Pegs aren't adjustable on the 750. Aftermarket rearsets are lovely as dearpixel has pointed out, but they're quite expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 AM

Welcome to the forum... i got a lot of good answers to my Q's from folks here and this helped me purchase a Brutale 750s in the end.

Can't help u with the induction modification but i do know the 910 isn't as loud as the 750. I like the sound of the 750 the most and as u said it was a spirited ride u went on so the revs were probably higher than the normal 5,000 range u would be doing if u were sitting between 100-110km/hr... i found that more comfortable on my ears and i totally love the sound.

I had a look at your link to the top 25 rides and i did 500kms of test riding on 2 Brutales in one day on some of these roads... the suspension was a nicer setting for me on the 910 so the roads were comfy... the 750 was set way too hard and i didn't enjoy this so much... to be fair the dealer set it up like that for me b/c he thought i wanted to go hard on the twisties... so i am not worried about whether it's going to be too rough... but if it does get too rough it's a worthwhile compromise as the rest of the ride makes up for it!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
welcome to the forum
the Brutale is amazing

please don't tell you that you've BEEN riding withOUT earplugs?
that isn't a good idea

there is only 1 word for a motorcyclist who's ridden for 10 years without plugs

DEAF

it's as simple as that
that INDUCTION NOISE is INTOXICATING

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM

On my 910S i added the 910R header and midpipe thru my stock muffelers it made the exhaust sound better and a little louder. what i noticed was it evend out the intake sound. Theres less of it or it toned it down a little im not shur all i know is the intake sound is less. Hope that makes sense. Plus more seat of pants power.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:57 AM
King of the Sink

Welcome aboard! Where in Oz are you?

When a passenger of the foot moves in sight, tootle the horn trumpet melodiously to him at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express by word of mouth the warning, "Hi, hi."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 AM

He's in Brisbane Sven... look at the link on his post... tells u where he rides with some nice photos, (worth a look),... i have ridden on most of these roads... i get where he is going with wanting another bike, and he's been testing quite a few lately... it's biased of course but i think he will enjoy the Brutale without having to go through all the adjustments that he has on his Buell...

I think he should test the 910 to get a different feel... although he doesn't want the huge power b/c he wants to stick to speed limits... the 910 could fit the bill if he doesn't like the loudness of the standard pipes on the 750...

I chose the 750 part reason being i looooved the sound and still had power when i needed... not as much as the 910... but a compromise i could live with b/c i don't want to bust the speed limit for the sake of it... speed is and can be addictive!!!

I get where Spalding is going with the ear plugs thing but riding my bike once or twice a week with the DB being under or near the recommended limit won't make me wear them...

I do a lot of Quad work with my business... now there's a real vehicle that needs ear plugs... not hearing your car engine after being on one of them all day is reason enough!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
There was a travel article in Motorcyclist magazine a while ago-- within the last two years-- written by a guy who rode across morocco or something on a Brutale. Basically, he used it like someone else (someone saner) would use a rally bike. He survived. Check back issues at your library for the past couple years, or the Reader's Guide to find it. You might be interested to hear how he fared on less than perfect roads (understatement!).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM

I'll pile on here, thinking about adding a brutale 750 to the stable. Had lots of ducs and aprilias including 750 and 800 monster, anyone owned one and does the monster differ significantly from the brutale 750? Mainly in terms of perf. Assume the MV doesn't have the torque of the monster but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Only ever owned twins except for the wing and k1200lt I had.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.

Last edited by zvez; 03-02-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode