Buying used Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Buying used Brutale

_------------_

Last edited by hmmhmm; 06-20-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 PM

In no particular order and ignoring the usual consumable things like chain, brake pads etc :

Rear hub/wheel bearings - there are plenty of threads in the maintenance section.
Oil leaks - cam cover gasket, oil pressure sensor, oil pan.
Does it idle properly and not stall - service issue generally.
Has it got a PCIII ( or different chip/ecu) - will fix the terrible fuel consumption and general rideability.
Headlight - is the glass about to fall out of the frame.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Does the SPU have a blue or black backing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmhmm View Post
Hi,
I've decided that i want a Brutale. I've found one and now I need your help to figure out what to check and what to have in mind.
The model is a 2006 910R with 25.000 km. it has a full service book.
What do I need to be aware off with this model?

Please give me some of your knowledge about this buy.

Thank you.

/Henrik
Henrik,

No matter what service history it has check the rear hub assembly. Have the whole thing pulled out and regreased. Make sure that the torque values especially on both the axle and sprocket nuts are correct and especially the hub pinch bolts. BEFORE YOU RIDE AWAY!!!

Better still, negotiate a lower price and preferably get a Mitchy hub or an upgraded 2010 hub. Either one will cost you in the region of $1000Au. If it's already done you're lucky.

Also if possible have the hoses inside the tank on the fuel pump checked for perishing. If you can't that's also an area for price negotiation. Not hugely expensive but if a shop does it labour will be. Both of the above WILL happen at some stage and can occur at any time.

I'll leave the electricals to the experts. Great bikes don't be put off.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 AM

what country do you live in ?

Might be able to help you get parts and seals for water pump etc.got mine locally cost me no more than 30 dollars for bearings and water and oil seal.
Also gear spring might go ,very cheap to fix about 20 dollars.check above as the guys have mentioned.the rear bearings will cost you about 300 to 400 dollars if gone,still i would get a mitchy hub.check for fork leaks,also stalling when stopping.

Take it out for a descent ride ,not just around the corner,stop and start at traffic lights this is a good test.all the above repairs can be done by yourself with help from the forum

CHEERS EDDY
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 AM

http://www.startwintrading.com/ would be a good start for parts.

SPU - ask the owner if it has been replaced. It's on the right side between the fuel tank and frame. The later version has the black back and is 1000 times more reliable than the original version - probably been done by now if necessary on a bike that old with 25000km on it.

Waterpump, leave that I doubt you'll need it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 AM

Hi Henrik!
I am a Swedish Brutale rider, last year there were about 50 Brutales in Sweden. Since I live in Stockholm you are closer to the Swedish importer Super Motors in Vxj then I am.
Be prepared (if you do not have a service work shop near by, I dont) to do alot of maintanence jobs your self. But doing this on a Brutale is alot easier then most bikes. This forum is a very good source of information. There is alot of forum sponsors that could provide new and used spareparts so the situation for parts is not worse then any other brand. But be prepared to do most of the work your self. You can find workshop manuals on line and they are really good.
As mentioned above, the hub is the major concern if it has not been replaced this should effect the price. Also the SPU needs to be replaced. I think these parts will add up to SEK 6-7000:- And if not replaced by a 2010 Hub or Mitch hub the price should be at least SEK 10.000:- lower than if it had been updated/graded.

No need to upgrade the waterpump!

In the end I must say that you are buying a thing of beuty. And even if its corky in some ways. it have loads of charm and soul. So just go for it!
//Magnus

I like em naked!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CBBOO; 11-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink check?

Hi Henrik;
1st before even moving the bike, check the headlight glass by pulling on it with your fingernails

2nd check the SPU the info is in the 2nd sticky at the top of the page, SPUs are available from Andre at Star Twin a Forum sponsor

3rd check for play in the rear hub, verify the torque on the hub pinch bolts and check chain adjustment

4th check the service book to see if the fuel lines in the tank have been replaced

now you can ride

here's where things come from;
http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/show...and-tips/page2

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM

How much are they asking for it?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM
col

New Site Garage
hennrik
i run a 2005 910s most things would have been sorted by this time IE the elect problems stalling ETC
as Knurl said (1)check the headlight glass (2) the rear hub if it needs 1 try mitchy on this site(3) make sure the rear brake is ok (i put a new disc rota on mine non std great rear brake now)

with all that checked chuck your leg over and ride it

i have a form of dislexia as i have said plenty of time and it dont bother me .................. but im not stupid or a tard so dont try it on

MV Brutale's go faster than a crackheads dole payment and that's fast

I WAS A BIKER BEFORE IT BECAME A FASHION STATEMENT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode