Possible new owner questions... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Possible new owner questions...

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to get a 910S in the next week or so, still finalizing my decision. I had a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with...

1. How is the passenger seat as far as reasonable comfort?
2. How would you say it's different riding in the twisties (not the track) than the normal sport bike?
3. Does the MPG go up if you don't ride it hard? In miles, what are folks averaging? (I saw a thread on this earlier...but not much of it was in miles)
4. How is wind noise/resistance at speed?
5. What would be a good price for a used 2006 Brutale 910 (the "normal" one).

I'm trying to decide between this bike and an R1. My first bike was an R6, second an R1 (both stolen) and it's been a few years since I've ridden...and I'm ready to try something new. I realize these are apples and oranges. It test rode one back in Nov, and I thought it had a lot of wind resistance but that may have just been because it's been a number of years since I rode.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Welcome Bill! I had a Ducati 916 prior to my Brutale and during my decision process I test road a S4RS Monster and 910s. It was a hands down decision to purchase the Brutale. I was also a little concerned about the lack of wind protection, but the amazing engine, wonderful noise and great handling made me forget all about that.

I love the standard riding position for both in-town and on the twisties - kind of supermotard fun.

As for passanger comfort and MPG, my 910 is too new to make a call yet.

I hope you get one, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

BTW - This is the greatest forum and great MV community!
Regards,
Duane
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM

My wife doesn't complain, again this was coming off an R1 which is horrible for the passenger. I would say that is bearable but not comfortable. And the shape of the passenger seat has more to do with looks than function.

2. How would you say it's different riding in the twisties (not the track) than the normal sport bike?

Very different, it took me a a little bit to get comfortable on the Brutale as I used to also ride an R1. There is not much distance between the handlebar to seat. Because of this there is a lot more room to move the upper half of your body than on a racebike. Having said that how you position your body has a very direct impact on how the bike handles.

Also important to note is that the riding position is light years more comfortable. I can ride the Brutale all day long without my wrists and lower back being strained.

3. Does the MPG go up if you don't ride it hard? In miles, what are folks averaging? (I saw a thread on this earlier...but not much of it was in miles)

MPG does not go up if you ride it hard. the usual comments is that the MPG doesn't go down if you ride it hard.

You will experience much more wind at speed compared to the R1 and R6. This is due to not having a windshield and the upright seating position.

I would say $10k-$12k

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassbill
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to get a 910S in the next week or so, still finalizing my decision. I had a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with...

Bill

1. Never ridden on the passenger seat. Doesn't look too comfy... I think somebody's coming out with a gel seat. emoto?

2. Really depends on the speeds. I came off a 996 and I ride with the same guys so that gives a frame of reference on my Brutale 750. The Brut Actually better in the really tight stuff but at insane speeds the bigger motor, fairing and forward weight tip it back in favor of the superbike style. ANY thing else - in town etc, the Brutale wins hands down. You'll be closer with the 910 on top speed. Insane.

3.I got a mid pipe from ebay and a chip from Brad Black low to mid thirties for mpg. BIg improvement over stock

4. Best tip ever for wind noise: Schuberth Helmet. VERY quiet and SMOOTH aerodynamically. No more stiff necks. Pricey but worth every penny.

5. I dunno. Shop now while it's still cold and some deals are to be had.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey badassbill I'll give it a go. Actually I traded my 2004 R-1 for my Brutale 910.
First of all you're right about apples and oranges. You can't compare the Brutale with an R-1 or any other fully faired bike especially regarding wind resistance. Basically there is little wind issues until you reach around 60 mph and above at which point it becomes necessary to tuck. That said I generally donít ride the freeways for more than 45 minutes and I didnít buy this bike for freeway riding in the first place; I have another bike for that.
Back seat comfort? Heck the front seat isnít anything to brag about! But none of these issues have any purpose with a Brutale.
Hereís why I bought my Brutale and it may help answer a few of your questions.
I use my Brutale for back country foot hill canyon carving. The upright seating position and wider bars have a commanding feel much like a dirt bike; for me it is confident feeling. The ride is harsh on poor roads but excellent feed back on good pavement. Since I donít track race and avoid long bouts on the freeway, wind is seldom an issue.
The Brutale is not only unique, it is beautiful from every angle. If youíve had two bikes stolen from you before, I guarantee they will want this one even more, so I hope you have made some modifications on where and how you plan on keep your bike.
This is not a motorcycle for everybody and it may even be more purpose built than a full faired liter bike in some ways, but itís a lot of fun to ride and gets attention everywhere it goes.
Oh and by the way, it does have a bit of an attitude! It will let you know when you are trying to force it rather as opposed to a little light touch encouragement.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm still on the fence because the MV is about 2k - 2500 more than I can get the R1 for. Not a ton of money, but certainly enough to make me think about it. Any other opinions are appreciated as well...

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM

I'll have a go at this as well. I hear your concerns, as I have been riding a cbr or GSXR for the last five years. The Brutale was the only bike I had ever seen that temped me to stray from a race style bike. I made a leap of faith this winter and sold my GSXR-750 and bought a Brutale, not knowing what the change would be like. I've only had about 45 mins on the bike so far, so I can't speak with the experience of others in this forum, but I can tell you that it is more fun to ride than I ever expected. The sound of the rev'ed engine is unreal and the bike is incredibly flickable and responsive. It also has all the power and torque you'll ever use on the road, without sore wrists and a sore back...part of why I was considering a change. The bonus, of course, is the style. I probably go down to my garage 3 or 4 times a day just to stare at it. I figured that if I did not like it, I could always sell it next year and pick up another GSXR. After my brief stint on the bike thus far, I have no plans to go back. A truly special, rare and amazing bike. Good luck with your decision. Scott
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
badassbill. The F4 is closer in comparison to an R1
The FZ1 is closer for comparison to a Brutale.

The Brutale is an aggressive naked bike that has all the ingredients of a hypersport bike but in an upright postion that is born for the twisties, and gives nothing away to sport bikes etc top speed and freeway runs.
If that is what you want the Brutale is a real Jeckyl and Hyde machine.

MVA Sydney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode