Extra service?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Extra service??

I need some of the great advice that is given on this site.

Starting to think about bringing my 910 out of hibernation in early April and although it's not due a service I was thinking of getting an oil and filter change the moment it is back on the road.

Has anyone else done this and if so is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM

If it's just an oil and filter change, you may just want to do that yourself. Some people believe that it's best to change oil when the engine hasn't been started in a while since the sediments sink to the bottom of the oil pan. So, changing the oil before start up may be a good thing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

I have read that it is best to store your bike with fresh oil due to the acids and deposits that have built up in the old oil. Just my $00.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM

I would change it for peace of mind.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM

please consider changing the oil and filter yourself - it is very easy with the correct tools
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM

1 How long has it been sitting, 2 whats the total miles on the bike 3 how many miles since the last oil change and #4 what oil do you use.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to change it for sure.

The bike has been sitting since the end of September last year. I can't remember the exact miles but I think it's about 2700 miles.

It was agip or motul oil they used for the first service. The last service was at 600 miles.

Last edited by MFranchitti; 02-27-2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: addition
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM

There is a great thread by 211 that is very informative on oil changes. I think he does it on the Tamburini but conceptually speaking, it will walk you through. Fun to do it yourself anyway....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
I'll check out that thread by 211, thank you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
You don't need to change it per se. It's more important to change it before storage than after, due to combustion byproducts making the oil acidic (as an earlier poster indicated, correctly). However, no need to fear; three months is not an extremely long storage period so you won't damage the bike should you just ride it. Also, modern fully synthetic motorcycle specific oils such as what you're (I hope!) running in your MV Agusta are designed to protect well under such conditions. For instance, even when a bike is left idle for months, a thin film will adhere to the cylinder walls to protect the bike at start-up, whereas old-skool oils would just run down into the crankcase, leading to excessive wear at the initial start. And the additive package should fight well against the moderate chemical change caused by the slight action the oil saw before storage.

I'd relax and spare the environment an unnecessary oil change, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and do it. But then...why would you have asked us? :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode