Leaking Gas on Start Up only after weekend - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Leaking Gas on Start Up only after weekend

Here's the problem, starting my bike after a two day weekend (not ridden) it leaks gas for a couple of seconds from the left side when on the side stand then stops. Doesn't happen again all week so long I ride it every day. It doesn't look like it is comming from the vent hose since there is gas dripping down the case. I can't see where it could be comming from with the tank on. The funny thing is it stops completely and never happens at all all week. It has happened for two weeks in a row now.

What do you guys think?

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300

Last edited by dumbcomputers; 02-26-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 AM

What are you doing differently over the weekend? Is it getting hotter? Are you riding on rough roads and maybe ther's a small crack in one of you fuel fittings?

I'd try to duplicate the symptom and then quicly start ripping stuff apart in a frantic search to find the cause before I had a fire to put out.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 AM

I second that notion, but I wouldn't even ride it.
Find the leak before you have a fire. It very well could be the plastic fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Male fittings have been replaced with metal ones. Female ones haven't been replaced yet (though I have them). I was going to un-bolt my gas tank and leave it sitting for a couple of days then do a test like you guys said. Thanks for the input.

Bike History:
'88 Ninja 250 > '92 GSXR-600 > '01 YZF-R1 > '06 Brutale + '07 Customized VTX-1300
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Maybe your O-rings went bad?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomanach
Maybe your O-rings went bad?
I guess that is always a possibility, I would highly doubt it though since they are partially brand new (*with the metal connectors). I even lubed them up before using them.

I'm hoping it's the breather line to charcoal canister just came off since it's the only think I can't see.

Has anyone disabled the charcoal canister? For "racing" use only that is

Bike History:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:22 PM

I just removed mine the weekend before last. It takes a little wrangling to remove the bolt holding the bracket, and then it takes some finesse to twist everything out. Other than that it's very straightforward. Just make sure to note where the vacuum lines used to be and remember to route them out below the engine. Also, I wasn't paying attention and capped the vacuum lines between the engine and the cannister...only realizing my mistake when I went to reinstall the tank and saw I'd left no hose to fit the vacuum actuator. I just pulled the old line off the can and fed it between the junction and the actuator on the tank.

Easy stuff.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:14 PM

Is it possible you overfilled the fuel tank & the overflow was leaking?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevegas
Is it possible you overfilled the fuel tank & the overflow was leaking?
Tank was half empty this morning when it leaked. Funny thing is that after Monday morning there isn't the slightest hint of a fuel leak.

Is it possible I overfilled it and the charcoal canister is full of fuel???

Bike History:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomanach
I just removed mine the weekend before last. It takes a little wrangling to remove the bolt holding the bracket, and then it takes some finesse to twist everything out. Other than that it's very straightforward. Just make sure to note where the vacuum lines used to be and remember to route them out below the engine. Also, I wasn't paying attention and capped the vacuum lines between the engine and the cannister...only realizing my mistake when I went to reinstall the tank and saw I'd left no hose to fit the vacuum actuator. I just pulled the old line off the can and fed it between the junction and the actuator on the tank.

Easy stuff.
I don't understand why you would want to remove the charcoal canister

The function of the canister is allow the tank to vent without sending fuel vapors into the atmosphere. It does this by routing the vent opening through activated carbon. On start-up, manifold vacuum pulls air through the carbon and clears the trapped vapors. Doesn't do anything bad, no affect on runability or power, why disable it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode