Garmin GPS for motorcycles? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Garmin GPS for motorcycles?

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone here have or have used a motorcycle GPS system
on their bike? Any recomendations? I saw a Garmin Zumo 550 on line, read
some reviews, but was trying to get some opinions from fellow MVisti riders.

Thanks for the heads up...

"i put on a mask, for the masks that i meet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 PM
The Dude

I'm not sure how many actually ride MVs with GPS.... For lots of reviews, check advrider.com.

I have a Garmin Que, which is a CF card into a PDA. I bought it cuz I already had the PDA, which had no other use..... I only use it for touring, which I don't do on the MV.

That said, I'm thinking of getting a proper m/c unit. Just a recent thought....they are more reliable than my PDA one, and also can be waterproof, etc. Mostly though they should receive better, I have too many probs with the Que reception. Reception is fine on open roads, but a lot of my riding isn't that here.....too many tunnels, bridges, big buildings, etc.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 PM

My pal uses the Zumo and loves it! Does everything he needs it to do, and the screen is very beautiful in all kinds of light. Very accurate and locates instantly!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
FSL

Lightbulb

I have got GPSmap 378 does lot more then a motorcycle GPS. I use it on my SUV car bike everywhere.

Here is setup on CBR 1000RR.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Established Member

I use a tomtom rider. I used to use my pda (tomtom again) in a waterproof box but I could not charge it whilst on the move. I bought a couple of mounts one for each bike so I could easily change it from one to another. The bike cradle has come in for a lot of criticism as to being weak and not designed well. Mine does not charge the unit properly I have contacted tomtom but they are very unhelpful and must know about the problem. If I put a couple of elastic bands to make the clasp stronger then it works ok. I just used it on a trip from Scotland (on the Cagiva though) and it worked fine all the way.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:45 AM

i use the tomtom rider which works fine. touchscreen is nice as well as the bluetooth headset for helmet and car. carful when you download a route from an routplaner. once downloaded, check out the WHOLE route on the tomtom if it shows the same route you created on the pc

ciao
peter
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSL
I have got GPSmap 378 does lot more then a motorcycle GPS. I use it on my SUV car bike everywhere.
I totaly agree. I ride with a Garmin 276C on my Brutale fitted with Ram-Mount pieces.

It's perfect.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 MV 350 S
'87 Honda XR 350
(sold)
'02 Yamaha TDM 900
(sold)
'05 Brutale 910S
'06 Triumph Daytona 675
'06 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Taste the MV side of life !
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 03:32 PM

I recently bought a Zumo 550 and love it but haven't set it up for the Brutale yet- just use it in the Touareg and BMW K-bike.

C
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Established Member

Garmin 60C

I've been using the Garmin 60c for 3 years. I wouldn't consider riding without it at this point. I set my routes on Saturday and then Sunday morning, ride with friends on all back roads, most of which we've never been on before. It usually works out quite well, although occasionally we run into dirt/gravel roads and have to backtrack. It gives me freedom to explore the country around my area. Our typical ride is 150 to 200 miles. We leave at sunrise and are back home by noon.

I attached the GPS to my steering stem (ZX10 and GSX-R1000 ... not on MV since I just got it). I like the 60c since it isn't too big and is great to use in other situations other than biking.

There is a technique to using the device so that you don't have to stare at the thing as you ride. In particular, how you define your routes and how these routes use waypoints can be a big deal as far as ease of use. If someone has a Garmin GPS and is interested in my lessons learned, I would be more than happy to share. I don't want to take up space here at this point. Just PM me and I'll share.

Senna 1000, 06 zx10r - past 82 kz750, 82 gpz750, 87 1000 ninja, 92 cbr900rr, 2000 cbr929, 03 gsx-r1000
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Anyone setup a GPS system on the F4? I am curious what the entire setup would be. The rammount systems would be great, but difficult for me to really comprehend in terms of what setup fits just right. I go on a lot of long rides.. would love to have a GPS system on board for them.

i DO have tomtom software on my TREO with a bluetooth GPS transmitter. I wonder what I would need to hook that up..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode