Help! White smoke from exhaust and engine - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Help! White smoke from exhaust and engine

Got geared up for a ride to Malaysia today, but fired up the brute and she started smoking--white smoke from exhaust and engine area. I'm not a tuner but the engine sounds and rides normal and takes throttle well. A slow smoking continues from the exhaust for about 2 minutes after shutting her off. It does not smell of unburnt petrol. The top muffler opening is white now.

I've got a power commander in there (second from bottom led is lit when not in programming mode) and I've had the battery disconnected for a month (in December), but she's been riding fine since then.

Coolant is low but above min. Oil is due for a change but level is normal.

Is this normal? Or anyone with similar experience know what is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
dearpix, sounds like oil is leaking onto the header. Check the oil filter and drain plug.

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmasis
Check the oil filter and drain plug.
They are both firmly on and no leaks. Does oil make a white smoke?

From what I'm reading on the internet (on car engines) perhaps coolant is seeping into the combustion chamber via a leak in the head gasket. Hence the white smoke. What do you think?

Anyone know if brutes have a modulator valve? If this is torn/bad it would suck coolant into combustion. But what do I know; I may be on the wrong track here...

Last edited by dearpixel; 02-19-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
The Dude

i can't help much here, but oil does make white smoke.....

you got this week off due to CNY?

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoLunch
i can't help much here, but oil does make white smoke.....

you got this week off due to CNY?
Yes, me and everyone else...the place is a virtual ghost town, which means, good luck to me getting this looked at anytime soon. Ha!

(CNY = Chinese New Year, major major holiday here and lots of folks take a good 10 days off)

Last edited by dearpixel; 02-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 PM

Was the coolant low before? You shouldn't really lose any.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
Was the coolant low before? You shouldn't really lose any.
Yes, I could have lost some (but never noticed any spillage ever) -- I'm pretty sure it was higher before.

There was a slight burning smell and a bit of smoke in my headlight beam last night, but the bike rode fine. Today, it was like plumes from the exhaust and some from the engine area too.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Hate to say it but It sounds like a possible headgasket leak. White smoke = water or coolant. If you are running coolant (ethylene glycol) it will also have what I can only describe as a sweet smell. The white exhaust pipe residue is another tip off, along with the low coolant level. Best have it looked at by someone competent in these matters.

Also, the modulator valve I think you are referring to is a device used on older automatic transmissions in automobiles. When the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator ruptures, transmission fluid enters the combustion chamber and produces white smoke. No, the MV does not have such a device.

Last edited by Koop; 02-19-2007 at 11:39 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Update: Just fired it up again. Smoke from the engine area seems to be coming from a leak in the join of the mid-pipe and headers so I don't think this has anything to do with the cause of the white smoke which is probably coolant. The exhaust still smokes like mad. There is a smidgen of oil (but not even a proper drop or any old drips) on the left side topmost gasket where the gasket is shaped like a half-circle.

Any of this ring any bells, anyone?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop
Hate to say it but It sounds like a possible headgasket leak. White smoke = water or coolant. If you are running coolant (ethylene glycol) it will also have what I can only describe as a sweet smell. The white exhaust pipe residue is another tip off, along with the low coolant level. Best have it looked at by someone competent in these matters.

Also, the modulator valve I think you are referring to is a device used on older automatic transmissions in automobiles. When the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator ruptures, transmission fluid enters the combustion chamber and produces white smoke. No, the MV does not have such a device.
Thanks -- my feeling is that you are right. Will find out when the dealer is open (Chinese New Year holidays now) and get it sorted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode