New steering dampener kit and why you need one - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New steering dampener kit and why you need one

I have just installed a new dampener kit as described in my previous post. The units look great, the powder coat matches the tanks key cutout and the anodized damper bracket matches the bar clamps. See pictures below.

This unit is the only one that locates the damper properly. The damper is centered between the tank and the handle bar area, other units would have to move the instrument cluster to position properly.

The Scotts damper has advantages over the piston type. Piston dampers have to convert the tripple clamp arc into a linear motion by fixing one end or the tube body with a bearing, the piston plunger must also have a bearing. Some installations add a rod and bellcrank to get the position correct. All these bearings add play or backlash to the system. The entire purpose of a steering dampener is to get rid of head shake and micro impacts that your arm must soak up unconsciously. The more backlash or play the system has, the less effective the damper is at removing pulses.

The Scott rotary style dampener has no external bearing to build up cumulative play or backlash. The rotor arm is pinned to the frame, the housing is bolted to the tripple clamp. With my installation the pin is almost a press fit into the pin bracket. There is no perceptible play. The slot to pin interface has the smallest amount of play as designed by Scotts to allow for frame flex and fork bending in extreme conditions. The pin must be free in the arm so not to load the damper bearing vertically. The is accomplished by allowing the pin to rotate in the bracket. In reality the pin never moves more than a fraction of a degree. As you move the bars lock to lock there is no perceptible movement of the pin and arm slot because the center line of the dampener is over the center line of the steering axis. No wear will occur at the pin and crank arm interface.

The Scotts type dampener has a high and low speed dampening adjustment and a dampening arc adjustment. In dirt bikes this adjustment is handy but for street and track use the dampening range should be set for full arc, or lock to lock swing of your handle bars.

The biggest thing you will notice when you ride with this dampener is the lack of fatigue in your arms and how much better you feel after you ride hard through a set of canyons or track day. Most all of the micro pulses you never consciously pay attention to are dampened out. You will also sense a degree of precision; the bike feels so stable it acts like its on rails. Lastly the low fuel head shake the occurs under hard excels over bad asphalt is completely gone as expected.

I am not a bike part manufacturer nor do I plan on becoming one. I redesigned a new mounting system for myself. I made up 10 sets of parts to spread the cost of my solid works design time, cnc mill time, anodize, powder coat, spacer machining etc. If you folks have questions or would like to order an installation kit please pm me. The install kit is 160.00, the Scotts dampener cost I will pass through, the shipping cost will also be added.
Thanks, Edgar
Attached Images

Last edited by ezepilot; 07-05-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 PM

I think your install kit looks superior and precision-strong! Have you compared notes with Scotts to confirm your assertions? I wouldn't be surprised if Scotts adopts your setup and pays you handsomely for the design improvements!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The good folks at Scotts worked with me on this project. They know how to contact me and will refer clients to me. The market for his dampener is too small for them to pick it up and sell it as there own. Honda makes more bikes in a day then MV makes in a year.
Edgar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 PM

The fact that Scotts worked with you to create this fine product is testament to its technical soundness! Thanks for improving our sport and passion!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Respect the effort/workmanship that's gone into this project. Appreciate the time u must have spent on it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
The nice thing here is that you can transfer the scotts damper to any other bike you wish, just about. MX bikes, whatever. It's very versatile. That also makes it easy to sell on eBay if you ever need to.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Looks good.....good work,but totally wrong colour for me,pity...

Starfighter Titanium R
Ducati 998S

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:03 PM

Is it/how is this different from the kit offered on MotovationUSA? https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstor...?idproduct=211
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Motovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy
Is it/how is this different from the kit offered on MotovationUSA? https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstor...?idproduct=211
I spoke to Motovation regarding their damper kit. He gave me a good explaination. From what he told me (and as I recall):

It is designedby acculign which makes quality products. The mounting kit replaces the stock handbar mounting point. The damper is screwed on to the mounting plate and the mounting plate is screwed on with 4 screws. This is to minimize the distance between the damper and the tank mount section. The design above appears to be mounted over the stock mounting plate. (the thing with the italian flag) This results in less flex and stress on the screws.

I was impressed by his patience and through explaination.

Personally, I am going to get an Arrow Damper to match my Arrow exhuast, plus its prettier... not the best reason, but good enough for me.

Last edited by actionong; 02-23-2007 at 09:26 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionong
This results in less flex and stress on the screws.
actionong, are you refering to the Motovation mount or ezepilot's?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode