920 coolant leak - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

920 coolant leak

upper right side of the radiator there is a cap , feels tight but im guessing thats where it is coming from

bike has not been overheating , only went for a short ride too

any idea?
also where do i check the coolant level , and what sort would it use ?

ill take the faring off and check the cap but any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Established Member

To check the level there is an expansion tank just below the ignition you can see the level marks when looking through the frame. To top up remove the cover around the ignition.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink leak?

hotsuma;
you need to go to any shop that has a radiator pressure tester the fits 45mm caps (bike, car or radiator shop)

have the radiator and cap tested, it doesn't take 5 minutes

then inspect the lines from the overflow tank and the tank itself (Ducatis had trouble with the tanks when they were pressurized)

set the level according to the manual

my 910R has the marks on the left side, on your 920 I have no idea

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

step one , take the left and right rad faring off , 2 large 2 small bolts, right bike side is rad cap remove , left has high and low indicators for the reservoir

2, two screws near the key, pull plastic up , remove fill port screw cap

3, left side of bike is the snail \ turbo shape coolant pump, remove the bottom screw in the snail , trash the coolant that will piss out about a foot properly

--
some how my res had no coolant , bike is new to me , and the bike was not over heating , the actual radiator cap had a bunch of dried blue coolant crap at the top , i carefully took all this crap out with qTips and rags

the radiator also appeared empty

this bike is under 4500k so yes very surprised i have had no heating issues

cleared gunk, pulled the empty nut at the snail at the bottom bunch of coolant pissed out ,

all i can think is she was 1/3 or 1/4 full and some how this caused gunk and coolant to piss out at the cap

re filled , ran her a few times and re filled , level is steady , no pissing coolant all good

--

btw if you drain the coolant dont worry about going above full on the reservoir , also feel free to leave the cap off the rad , it will take a while to fill up
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down

hotsuma;
you need to have your entire cooling system AND cap pressure tested!

the cap should NOT LEAK at all, neither should the entire cooling system

if the coolant level is low enough it might be lower than the temp sensor and you will get an incorrect reading

you need to find the leak

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks , i took your advice , i think it was the cap but they are replacing the radiator $1200 , good thing it still has warranty, i just hope they do a decent job (they are a dealer) i don't want to have the fan issue where they hit the rad after they replace it

luckily replace in warranty
didn't even have to give the dealer info of when i bought it and id didn't get it from them , guess they just know all 920's are still in warranty
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Established Member

I think I might have a similar issue with my radiator. 2010 1090 RR. Cap was tight, tank was filled, lines looked to not be leaking. Looks like it might be coming from the radiator core itself. In the first picture, a bolt that attaches the fan to the radiator is missing.
Attached Images

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
cus

Had an issue with the stone guard rubbing on the radiator till it wore a hole in it .Radiator was replaced under warranty with the guard mounted the same way again, dickheads. I spaced it out as it should have been in the first place. Some thing to watch for.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks ill check the guard , considering it took 4 weeks for them to get the new one , I don't want it to happen again
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Drewbrese, looks like your fan has rubbed a pin hole in the radiator. Ask me how I know....LOL.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode