Brutale Stuck Thermostat? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Brutale Stuck Thermostat?

My new Brutale S goes in for it's 600 mile service (900 miles in a week) and I have a question.

The bike seems to run cooler in cool weather than I would expect. Today when cruising with OAT in the 55-65 F range (13-18 C) the engine temp would stabilize around 150-160 F (65-70 C). In stop and go traffic of course it would go to 200F (93 C) but back at speed would quickly cool down.

New bike normal or stuck open thermostat?????

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Established Member

Hey Tom, I am a new member also and I have a brand new 910 S.
Believe it or not, I was out riding today but my temperature was a little cooler, around 50 F. I noticed that my temperature guage was reading right around the 165 F mark. In the back of my mind I thought that to be rather low but my bike runs perfectly and I haven't thought any more about it until I read your post.
Hopefully the more experienced MV owners can help us both out.

Tim
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
both of your bikes are NORMAL
remember......

NAKED bikes run cooler
simple as that

in COOL weather, your bike will run COOLER
it is NOT a car, where the "operating temperature" will be the same in 30 or 100 degree weather

bikes are much more "cold blooded" in that their temperatures reflect that of their surroundings

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"

Last edited by spalding12; 02-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Not very lucky..

While riding the other day with temp at about 55 deg. and riding on the freeway, the temp was stable at 155 deg.
Once you hit the stop lights the temp rises very quickly to 190-200 deg
I have a little over 4000 miles and it has always done that and never had any problems
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
King of the Sink

I dream of those temps!

No need to worry - perfectly OK.

When a passenger of the foot moves in sight, tootle the horn trumpet melodiously to him at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express by word of mouth the warning, "Hi, hi."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:37 PM

Yeah, Greg is right. Downside is, when it's hot out the bike will get VERY hot, to the point of overheating in traffic. Engine Ice/Water wetter, etc. helps, but even for a naked, the Brute is a cold[hot]-blooded beast.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
both of your bikes are NORMAL
remember......

NAKED bikes run cooler
simple as that

in COOL weather, your bike will run COOLER
it is NOT a car, where the "operating temperature" will be the same in 30 or 100 degree weather

bikes are much more "cold blooded" in that their temperatures reflect that of their surroundings
Thanks for the reply. This isn't my first "naked" bike and although it may be normal for the Brutale it certainly isn't normal for the other water cooled naked bikes I've ridden and owned. It is the job of a thermostat to control the bottom end of the operating temperature and to not open until operating temperature is reached. Just like cars all the other naked bikes I've owned maintain a minimum temperature of about 180F (80C +) even with riding temperatures below freezing.

If you say it is normal for the Brutale we will have to agree the Brutale is both cold and hot blooded and I guess it just has a wider operating temperature range. )

Tom
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Yep, a wide temp range. As long as it isn't blinking, you're OK
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 PM

I think the thermostat on the MV's have a slight problem. It seems they are either open or closed without any variation in between. On my Burtale, as the engine reaches 212F the fan comes on and the temp states to lower to about 200F. You can feel the hot air coming off the fan when it kicks in but when the temp gets to 200F the air coming off the fan is cool. To me, the thermostat should stay open on the cool down until about 190F than start the cycle again. This would have a better chance of keeping up with the coolant temp at low speeds.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 PM

I was out 2 nights ago and it was a staggering 22 degrees F here in NY. My 910r displayed about the same temps as you are experiencing, it even dropped to 145F on a high speed blast. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I too questioned the cooling system on these bikes, but am more concerned with the fan kicking on at an earlier temp, as it waits till 190F is reached. I have since learned that most new cars and motorcycles are running this high, even in race applications. From what I understand, its more efficient and as machining specs are tightened up, there is less chance of mechanical failure as a result of hight temperatures as in previous years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode