My Honda vs MV 'Naked comparo'.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
My Honda vs MV 'Naked comparo'....

I got the chance to ride my old superhawk today. It's actually my GF's dad and he's out of town, so I took it for a back to back ride in 60 degree weather in the local twisties.

Few things on the Superhawk as far as performance goes, it has a filter, jetting, airbox mod, and full Jardine Race exhaust. Has a couple aesthetic mods...but I won't bother with those...

My MV is stock performance wise with the exception of an Arrow Midpipe, snorkels removed, and throttle cable mod.

I'll start out easy.

Ergo's.
The footpegs are actually higher than the Brutes. It was immediately noticeable. About as drastic as going from a sportbike to naked, it was pretty considerable. The sitting position was hunched like a sportbike, but not quite. It's clip-ons were high. You kinda get the feeling you're on a sportbike, but not quite. I guess how Honda wanted it. The brake and clutch levers, hoewever, are much more comfy, and at a better angle to boot than those found on the MVs. Granted they are and physically feel cheaper in action, and the material in general, they are alot more friendly to two finger braking, hell braking in general. The grasp feels more secure....even if the braking doesn't, lol.

The seat is wider, and you can tell, it's clientele isn't like those that would ride an MV...well, maybe that sounds elitest, but you can tell the Brutale was more designed towards a thin to average person, whereas the Honda, towards the typical out of shape american. Tons of room, a very general fit, untailored suit if you like that analogy. Although, it seems that the Superhawk would be a bit more comfy on the long haul, despite the hunched over feeling....I'm thinking it's an illusion because of the softer seat....

Fit and finish.
This should surprise nobody. Even the "cheap" pegs on the Brute out class the Honda. The Honda pegs look and feel like something that came off a go-ped, or some scooter or some generic minibike or mini chopper. I didn't feel confidant putting alot of weight on them, even though I knew it could handle it. Doing a stand-up wheelie would feel very unsafe....the fairings however, did seem to flow and fit VERY well, but again, the thin-ness of the plastic left more to be desired, and you felt jipped. There was a decent amount of windblast protection, but that's because there's none on the Brute. But it was wierd, because the windblast went straight to your neck because of the angle of the windscreen. It kinda MADE you want to crouch down, or sit straighter so it atleast hits you in your chest. The exhaust fit well...but all Jardines do, and it's a complete system, so no surprises there. I am still to this day, really pleased with teh spacers they give to push the passenger pegs out. They're cnc'd bits and are pretty swank...

The good stuff....performance.

Handling
I must say, I felt like I was in a tank on the Hawk. I only had a half tank of gas and it still felt like a hog. It was so sluggish, I had to catch myself and put ALOT MORE effort just to get it to turn. It was horrible. It doesn't hold a line well either, even a straight one. At speed, it was unnerving and I felt like the bike would wash out. And yes, the tires were warmed up and had plenty-o-tread. It was just so heavy feeling, like comparing a bread knife to a surgery knife....it was unreal. The MV handles SO MUCH MORE aggressively, and even with a steeper head angle, it still feels less twitchy and less susceptible to tank slappers.

Suspension
Yikes. This thing was a boat. It as really nice and plush, but when you got on it, you could feel the whole bike sink, rather than just either lift or go. it was wierd. Adjusted the suspension and it felt better, but still the same boaty feel. It did soak up bumps, but it didn't feel confidant enough to try and go around a sketchy road at any decent speed.

Braking
Heh..this is wierd. The Hawk does have enough power to put you on your arse, but the lever travel is SO far. It almost TOUCHES the grip. There's some room there, but nothing like there is on the Brute. And the 750 lever travels too much for some, so many of you would be thinking you had no brakes, lol. But it's very similar to the Braking on the 750. Being they're nissins, I'm guessing this attributes to it. Well, rubber lines, crap master cylinders...but in a bigger picture, you can feel they're the same brand. Much like if you hopped on and F4 and Brutale, worlds different, but you can just feel the similarity. It does brake well, but feels very spongy, and well, kinda alarmed me a bit when I first got on.

Engine
I must say, it was a really refreshing feeling getting on a twin. The TQ was absolutely rediculous. Anygear, and any RPM (above 2K) and it would lurch with aggression. I don't care what the numbers or dyno says, off the line and immediate TQ on that bike was fabulous. Maybe because it was jetted and tuned to perfection, it was so brisk, but this is where the Hawk shines. It's power was so predictable and linear it was crazy. But, it felt unrefined. Because it's a twin, it didn't feel smooth, no I'm not talking just physically, but there's I think a difference between a liner powerband and a SMOOTH powerband. It's hard to explain, but maybe refined is a better term. It feels no where NEAR as defined as the MV's...not even close. It just feels...I dunno, no character? Granted, it had boatloads more character than a Jap 4, but it still feels soul-less.

In summary, it seems like it comes down to something like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. American muscle vs Italian flair.

The Corvette sure can handle awesome, but it's cheap components make it far behind in terms of a "wow"er and even a car in general. it just doesn't exude quality when sitting in it. It gets the job done, and that's about it. The superhawk is the same way. It has great ergos, honking performance and a great price, but there were too many corners cut. The little details kill me. Rubber lines, plain/generic resivoir covers, really cheap lever material, cheap feeling plastic, etc...

The Ferrari is more expensive, and although hard numbers wise the Corvette is a winner in terms of, and I hate using this term, "bang for the buck", it just LACKS in too many areas. It lacks refinement. If you saw just the two cars on paper, without branding or names, just numbers, you go for the Vette as a no brainer, but real life is different. Final product is different.

There's more than numbers. The bike was just more work to ride. The sound of Race Jardines on a twin makes the panties drop, but that's about it. Although the Brute growl doesn't make the anties drop, it gets your croth wet, and those around you if you're into that sort of thing, lol. The two bikes are just so different, yet compete for the same title. There's a clear winner. And much like the numbers, if you took off the branding and were told to "just ride" without knowing what you're riding.....it'd be a no brainer as to what would be in your garage.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:31 PM

You sure do keep that Superhawk looking mint!!! Thanks for the well-expressed comparo!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Ha thanks. It's actually the GF's dads now, and believe it or not, it's exposed to the weather sitting in a driveway. When me and the ol lady split for a lil break, she took the bike...and I ended up getting another one, the Brutale.

it's a fun bike no doubt...just not as fun as the Brute....

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Got around to taking some pics after work right before it got dark....so the pictures are a little crappy, but I figured I'de post them up anyways...

You can just see the size difference between the two bikes. The superhawk looks HUGE, or the Brutale looks super small...take your pic.

Both are a blast to ride, and are awesome in thier own respects, but I'de still have to say the Brutale is by far my favorite. After hopping back on, you can feel the immediate difference between the two and the Brute just feels so much more solid. Pretty hard to imagine considering how solid that hawk feels. But I think if I get a twin, it'll be of the italian variety

Oh, and the chicken strips on the Brutale...ignore those, lol. The tire is actually scrubbed to the edge....it just hasn't been ridden to that edge again since. Promise. Haven't had the opportunity to since I've been out of town, and the roads being so damn cold when I am in town, oh, and I've been riding the Super CHicken alot lately, lol.... :P

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Last edited by oicdn; 02-09-2007 at 05:37 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:16 PM

Are you the one doing the smokers with the hawk(7th pic)?
And what is the sticker you ahve on the brutale?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, that sticker is my clothing company:

www.getlocalized.com

As for the smokers...heh...I'm guilty. It's just so damn easy on that bike....that, and they're dunflop cheapies...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode