910s hard to ride? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

910s hard to ride?

hey all--

took out my brand new 910s this weekend and found the bike very difficult to ride smoothly. throttle surges were particularly noticable in low gears although i tried my best to keep my inputs smooth.

i've ridden for years on bmws (r1100s, r1200gs) and found them so much easier to handle. is this a new bike thing? will my mv smooth out as it gets past the break in period? any experience or thoughts would be helpful.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM

I think the problem may be greatly exagerated due to your past experience. No offense intended, but you've been riding bikes w/ a MUCH lower power to weight ratio, w/ non-responsive drive trains, heavy flywheels, and barcalounger suspension.

You're now riding a twitchy little thing w/ a P/W closer to that of a Formula 1 race car and very little rotating mass to counteract throttle changes. That said, the stock throttle does tend to be a little unforgiving. You might try shortshifting it, but the two things that will help most are time and a PCIII.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy
hey all--

took out my brand new 910s this weekend and found the bike very difficult to ride smoothly. throttle surges were particularly noticable in low gears although i tried my best to keep my inputs smooth.

i've ridden for years on bmws (r1100s, r1200gs) and found them so much easier to handle. is this a new bike thing? will my mv smooth out as it gets past the break in period? any experience or thoughts would be helpful.

thanks.
Maybe mapping problem???Airfuel probaly knows better!!!

Starfighter Titanium R
Ducati 998S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Established Member

I've got a Brutale 750 and this week-end one of my friends give me his 910. I confirm the engine of the big one is more difficult low in the turns. The 750 is much more flexible.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Could be a mapping issue. Surging sounds like more than normal responsiveness. It will take some getting used to - but shouldn't be hard to ride.

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Try varying your RPMs, in other words, try different gears perhaps than what you're used to. You might want to get more specific with speed and RPMs you're having the trouble. In other words... were you cruising down the freeway? doing 35? Change between off/on during a turn? We might be more help.

You shouldn't need a map or PC. There is a chance the bike is not tuned CO. How many miles? Has it had the 600 miles service?

Jack
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 PM

I think the S I test rode was much more twitchy than my R so they are not all the same.If you do a search there is a spring on the throttle body you can unhook and it will make the pull lighter.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Remember that the Brutale 910 is essentially a full sport bike in naked guise and therefore gives little concesion to "rider friendly". It is horses for courses.
I once brought a new BMW, had it 2 weeks and took it back. It was just too civilised and nice. I brought a hot Ducati instead.
So you will either get to love it or not. It may pay to have some lessons at a track school? Just a thought.

MVA Sydney
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I second the comments regarding CO, past bike experience, and time. The throttle response with the stock mapping is good. Rich, but it should be smooth and not surging.

Suspension is also a factor. MV Agusta suspension is machined to close tolerances and is very tight when new. You'll need 1500 miles or so to really butter up the suspension. Once it's broken in, the smoother ride can help maintain a smoother throttle hand. You might want to set your suspension to full soft for a few hundred miles to get some motion in there till the stiction reduces. However, you will likely find the bike a bit too wallowy and vague if you leave it at full soft and try to ride hard.

The stiff throttle return spring can result in fatigue and less precise throttle control; time in the saddle will rectify this issue.

I've also found that the cold weather this time of year can result in a stiff wrist, cold hands, and consequently, hamfisted throttle control.

Give it time, get the CO/idle checked, and pay attention to all the little things mentioned. I'll be it's mostly your experience with BMWs, though, and the fact that this is a explosively powerful, race-bred, too-much-is-never-enough kind of bike. I've found that even the 1200cc Beemers are pretty soft feeling. Not slow-- deceptively fast, in fact-- but they feel soft and smooth. A Brutale is more like riding a two-stroke motocrosser; that's just the core riding experience.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Yup, massive amounts of torque down low will make for a herky jerky ride if you are hamfisted with the throttle. Bikes with no torque will feel creamy smooth as you are trying to catch up.

The 910 demands alot from the rider, you will be handsomly rewarded when you are good!!

If your fueling is off, even the barcalounger bikes will fell like crap though.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode