Am I hearing things or going crazy... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Am I hearing things or going crazy...

I picked up my new 910s last weekend and have been out of town until yesterday. So today I rode it to work (I have all of 50+ miles on the bike) and I noticed something that didn't sound normal - maybe you guys can let me know if I'm being crazy or maybe I have a problem.

Here's what's happening... The bike seems to make all the good sounds it should except in second gear, when you are between 3,000 and 6,000 rpms the transmission/engine make a noticeable load whining noise. It starts at around 3,000 rpms and grows loader up to 6,000 rpms (I'm still in break-in mode so I haven't gone above 6K. So this whine is a gear sound, much like a the bad gear whine in the rear-end of a car.

It seems strange that it only happens in second gear and the sound happens when rolling the gas on or off, but the sound goes completely away when you pull the clutch in.

You want to hear something even stranger? This only started happening this afternoon after my dealer took the bike for a test ride to bed-in the front brakes. You heard me right, after they test rode the bike and handed it back over to me it started making this second gear whining noise and one more think, it has popped out of 4th and 5 gear (false neutral) 3 times on my ride home, again after this test ride.

Please tell me I'm not crazy, or maybe I am crazy. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

One more thing - I think my chain is way too lose. I will check for sure tomorrow morning.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:07 AM

Yeah sounds weird, never happened to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 AM

take it back to the dealer and relay this story - see what happens from there
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Sounds like your dealer had a joy ride(on a 910) and entertained himself with 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies... which included hard, clutchless downshifts causing to bend a shift fork!

J/K.... just messin' with your head.

Doubt that happened but.... ya never know, stupid dealers!

Hope ya get the problem rectified!

CURRENT RIDE
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

FORMER RIDES
'08 Ducati Hypermotard S
'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 S
'01 Ducati 996
'05 Ducati Monster S4R
'04 Yamaha R1
'01 Yamaha R1
'99 Ducati 748
'99 Yamaha R6
'92 Honda CBR600 F2
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrudnicki
take it back to the dealer and relay this story - see what happens from there
I agree take it back into the dealer. The owners of Scottsdale Eurosports are great guys and they have a great MV mechanic.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 AM

YumaGT did you buy your Bruatle from Scottsdale Eurosports?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Whatever the cause for the problem, it should be covered under the drivetrain warranty. Definitely something not right! I hope the dealership does the right thing!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Are you sure it's not a body work vibration you're hearing? From new I would get strange sounds that I traced to the left mirror, then another one popped up that came from the intake covers beneath the tank. These covers are held on to the bottom of the tank with three very small screws. They tend to loosen and cause a loud vibration.

Also, when mine was new (the first few hundred miles or so) I hit a false neutral at times. It took a deliberate stab at the shifter to have a positive shift 100% of the time. Now, at 2,400 miles I don't even think about it, it shifts slick.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys - I went for a nice ride this morning and had no false neutrals, btu the second gear whine is still there.

Koop - I'm almost positive the whine is gear related as it only happens in second gear and only when on or off throttle between 3-6K rpms - pull in the clutch and it goes away.

I'm going to put another 100 miles or so on it and if it doesn't get better I will take in into the dealer for a checkup.

Side note: It's a seriously FUN bike to ride - the most fun I've had on a motorcycle!

Thanks again for the feedback - great forum support!
Regards,
Duane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode