Newbie - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Hello All,

As you can probably surmise from my name I am a long time Ducati Freak; however, I will most likely be the owner of some form of Brutale before next summer. I've lusted over this machine for some time and can wait no longer. I need some help from you Brutale experts and have some questions;

- What is your motor of preference, 3 or 4 cylinder?
- is the Brutale comfortable for long rides and does anyone take it on long trips?
- When sitting on the bike do you feel as if your sitting in it or more on top of it?
- is the bike generally reliable?
- How would you describe the ride quality, handling and acceleration compared to other similar bikes.

Thanks for any help in advance and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Ciao,
Monte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
First of all, Welcome to the family!!
I'll give it a shot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montducati View Post

- What is your motor of preference, 3 or 4 cylinder? Depends....I like my B4 910R, but haven't tried the new B3.

- is the Brutale comfortable for long rides and does anyone take it on long trips? Short answer...no. However, I routinely do 200~300 mile rides. Helps to NOT be sitting on a freeway, but moving about in corners instead. Seat can be made more comfortable (Google Spencer Seats). There are some people who do tour on Brutales...then again, some people tour on F4s !!!

- When sitting on the bike do you feel as if your sitting in it or more on top of it? I feel like I am a part of the 910R...more in it than on it. Fits me just right!!! You may fit diferently.

- is the bike generally reliable? In a word...YES. And easy to do maintenance on, too. Some idiosyncrasies on early Brutales, all sorted over time. New B3s are still getting sorted. Late model 910, 1078, 1090 are very reliable (with proper maintenance).

- How would you describe the ride quality, handling and acceleration compared to other similar bikes. One of the finest bikes I have ever ridden. The finest I have ever owned. Once I got the suspension dialed (minor clicks on the damping, etc) it became the best handling bike I have ever ridden. Period.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Esq'z, great response, the only disappointing answer was regarding the long trips. That being said; I rode my S4RS Monster to Nova Scotia and back, averaged about 450 miles/day so maybe I won't have an issue with the Brutale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It's just the hard seat and my bony buttocks.....If you toured your Monster you can tour the Brutale.
This is Spencer's site....he has done more than a few Brutale seats. Retains stock appearance, just improves the foam and foam shape...to fit YOU.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM

I personally find the Brutie much more comfortable that the [email protected] Monster.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM

New Site Garage
My two cents (rounded to 5).

Quote:
Hello All,

As you can probably surmise from my name I am a long time Ducati Freak; however, I will most likely be the owner of some form of Brutale before next summer. I've lusted over this machine for some time and can wait no longer. I need some help from you Brutale experts and have some questions;

- What is your motor of preference, 3 or 4 cylinder? I like the B4, the grunt of the 1090R is outstanding, but sounds great when up in the higher rpms.
- is the Brutale comfortable for long rides and does anyone take it on long trips? Yeah, the seat corners get to you after a few hours cruising, but you really don't notice much on a twisty road, then again, you don't buy a naked for straight highway runs
- When sitting on the bike do you feel as if your sitting in it or more on top of it? I'm 6' 3", 205lbs and I feel like I'm sitting in the brute. It's weighting is excellent, though bulky gear will have my knee brush the tank flares sometimes. Not too often though.
- is the bike generally reliable? No issues on the 2011 1090R, just check fasteners for tightness. I'm in Calgary and would go for Nova Scotia in a heartbeat without worries of breaking, though who knows what the future holds. Murphy can slap down anyone
- How would you describe the ride quality, handling and acceleration compared to other similar bikes. I find the Brute a rock in the wind, definitely a bit soft out the boxsuspension wise , but when dialed in it's a beast in the twisties. Rockets off stops and can pick the tire up on a whim in lower gears. It's just great to drive and to look at. All in all

Thanks for any help in advance and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Ciao,
Monte

By the by, are you a fellow Canadian or just took a long ride into our fine east coast?

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Hi and welcome . My Brutale is my first MV and it's definately something that gets under your skin . I can't see me owning an other make of bike for a very long time .
I rode mine to Italy for a week, bike was superb apart from the seat after three days which was a pain in the arse literally .
I've done just about 6k miles on mine and the bike has been first class, not a chip in the paint, no need to adjust the chain etc..

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Hello All,

- What is your motor of preference, 3 or 4 cylinder? I like the three cylinder and I love it.
- is the Brutale comfortable for long rides and does anyone take it on long trips? I ride two to four hundred miles every weekend. The seat is tough. I put the upgraded MV seat on her. It helps. You will get used to her.
- When sitting on the bike do you feel as if your sitting in it or more on compared to other similar bikes. I have the B3 800. I forget that the bike is under me. It is a light and powerful bike that is loads of fun to ride. I have never had my butt on anything that handled this good.

Ciao,
Monte

I love my Brute 800.

Current bikes:
Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
Ducati Multi 1100s
Yamaha Tmax
Former Bikes:
MV Agusta Brutale 750
Ducati Monster 796
Honda CBR 500R
MV Agusta Brutale 800
Ducati Multistada
Honda CTX 700
Harley Davidson XR1200X
Buell XB12r
Aprilla Shiver
Buell Blast
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome to the forum.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great feedback and welcome. I can see already there are some good people on this forum.

I currently own 2 Duc's, a 2013 Pikes Peak (which I Love :heart) and a 99 996, purchased new. I inquired about trading the 996 for the Brutale today; however, the quote was an insult as they usually are. My Marchesini magnesium wheels are almost worth as much as the trade quote. It's just as well as I really don't want to give up my 996 anyway.

Instead I'll just squirrel away a nice down payment from now till April and purchase the Brutale in the spring.

I'm leaning towards a 1090RR, can anyone tell me what a fair purchase price is?

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode