Should I Buy This Used Brutale?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Should I Buy This Used Brutale??

Hello All

My name is Mike from Long Island NY. My buddy who collects bikes (he has 15 right now). Is looking to sell 1 or 2 of his streetfighters. He has a 2010 MV Brutale 1090RR with 4k miles on it. It is in perfect condition with a full MV system which cost 2k he said, and carbon fiber rear fender and rear seat cowl cover to match.

He is a close buddy and i know he took perfect care of it. He said he would let me have it for 10k.

Now what i am worried about is:

1) the maintence costs ... when are valves due to be checked? he had a 600 mile service and had an oil change 3 months ago. I am getting prices from 700 to 1800 to do the service. Also some shops think the major service is 7500 miles and some say 12k??????

2) the bikes idel is messed up... when the bike is just sitting in neautral after it is warmed up it is revving between 800 to 1500 rpm non stop??? He brought it to the shop to have it looked at. it is there now... shop says they are waiting for a new fuel mapping from mv augusta???

3) How is the price?? I called some shops and they said trade in is around 8k and retail around 11k....

4) how is the reliabilty of this bike? i am a high mileage guy and will proably put 10k a year on this bike? is it a bike that will be happy putting "real" mileage on?

Thanks so much!!!

I also have a 2008 BKING and 2012 Super Tenere

Life is good!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 AM

The dealers around don´t seem very friendly on maitenance costs, but it seems that each country has it´s price.
If you keep the other bikes you´ll be fine at least the first month because later they will rest while you make some serious miles on the Brutale.
In your case I would only buy with all the parts or problems solved by a professional dealer and in that case you´ll keep a friendship and a perfect bike to ride...and wellcome!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM

i have the same thing as this bike and have now almost 10k miles on it.

being in ny you have a couple of options for dealers gold coast and fast by ferraci.
i just had the 7500 mile service done, when all was said and done with the valves being adjusted and such, it came out to around $1000 give or take a few dollars. if you check the manual the major services are every 7500 miles with minor services every 3500 or so miles but those are sort of just check to see if e3verything is good and change the oil.

the idle on my bike was messed up also, the guys at ferraci adjusted the throttle bodies and such at my 7500 mile service and now its no longer a problem, almost 2500 miles since then and the problem is not back.

the price seems fair to me, i say that only bc mine is bone stock with only the rear hugger as a mod, and this bike you are looking at has the full exhaust and its worth something.

from what i hear about the bike there are others that put on your kind of mileage a gear 10k or so and they love it.

being an mv though you have to do the required maintanence such as checking the rear hub and such every 7500 miles and such to cut down on the possibility of failure.

and one last thing, if you get it go through the bike and make sure dielectric grease is on any non waterproof electrical connectors especially that starter relay connector. lol.

good luck and enjoy if you get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up reliability?

Mike;
i bought a '08 910R 2 years ago with ~4,000 mi on it

it has a little over 21,000 mi on it now

it uses tires

it leaks 1-2 drops of oil from the valve cover each month or so, not enough for me to pull the cover and reseal it

it burned out a low beam bulb

I broke a shift lever toe peg

it has NEVER failed to start or lost or broken a single other part

most fun bike i've ever had, and those are some big shoes to fill

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Very reliable bikes....easy to work on....valves will not require adjustment nearly as often as the maintenance schedule calls for inspection (24k on mine and no adjustments yet)....easily as reliable as a Jap bike and easier to work on.
Idle speed is probably just a tuning issue (throttle body synch, idle speed and TPS setting).
Sounds like a good deal....

Buy it!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Established Member

It's an awesome bike. Go for it. you'll probably ride your other bikes less.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Yup, buy it.

I've put 8500 miles on in 10 months.

Valves adjusted (although none were needed) at 7500 along with the TPS reset, and whatever else it needed for a cost of $600.

As others have stated, best bike I've ever owned.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Buy It!!
I bought my '05 750 from a Ducati mechanic in Brooklyn, he does most of my service. PM me if you want his info, terrific mechanic, quick, cheap and reliable. For fuel mapping I went to Ferracci, and while they did an impeccable job, the ride down was a bitch..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys!!! The MV Brutale is still in the shop waiting new mapping from MV. Yesterday I was lucky to be riding a 2012 speed triple R and a 2005 gsxr 1000 streetfighter. After 350 miles of non stop fun I still want the MV.

If the bikes runs correctly when it leaves the shop I will be the new proud owner.

it is the most beautiful streetfighter there is in my opinion!!

thanks again!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM

New Site Garage
Well, congratulations on this awesome new bike then!!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode