1090RR Newb Questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

1090RR Newb Questions

Hi guys - A couple of questions about my "new to me" 2011 1090RR:

• The motorcycle icon on the dashboard - what is it for?
  • The manual mentions some sort of tire pressure monitor. Was this standard / activated on US bikes?
  • The knob on the OEM steering damper is nearly impossible to turn. Any suggestions on rebuilding or an aftermarket drop-in replacement?
  • I've noticed tiny cracks in the clearcoat on the tank along the "step" above the MV logos. They're barely noticeable but present on both sides and about 7" long, almost the whole length of these creases in the tank. Known issue? Suggestion on economical repairing?

1998 Ducati 900SS FE (#190)
2002 Ducati 998 Mono
2004 Ducati 999S
2011 MV Brutale 1090RR
2012 Ducati 848 Evo
1998 Ducati M900 Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM

Tire pressure monitor is an MV promise not yet delivered.
Steering damper makes no difference, I have not found a need for it either. The bike is very stable, even if you get the front really light exiting a turn.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPants View Post
Hi guys - A couple of questions about my "new to me" 2011 1090RR:

• The motorcycle icon on the dashboard - what is it for?Shows what "mode" you're in, nothing means normal mode, hit the starter button while motor is running and you can cycle the mode to "sport" set it there and forget it.
  • The manual mentions some sort of tire pressure monitor. Was this standard / activated on US bikes?
  • The knob on the OEM steering damper is nearly impossible to turn. Any suggestions on rebuilding or an aftermarket drop-in replacement?Mine is hard to turn but works pretty well, maybe take it apart and service it.
  • I've noticed tiny cracks in the clearcoat on the tank along the "step" above the MV logos. They're barely noticeable but present on both sides and about 7" long, almost the whole length of these creases in the tank. Known issue? Suggestion on economical repairing?
The cracks are from the plastic tank expanding, any body shop should be able to fix them, but first you''l need to have the tank lined or it will just keep expanding from the ethanol.

Suggestions in red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 AM

Your tank might still be covered under the warranty? Call an MV dealer and tell them it expanded. You might get a new tank. They're aware of the problem.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be taking the bike in to the closest dealer to have a replacement request submitted for the tank. Stay tuned!

2002 Ducati 998 Mono
2004 Ducati 999S
2011 MV Brutale 1090RR
2012 Ducati 848 Evo
1998 Ducati M900 Monster
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 PM

New Site Garage
Read this thread: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50705

Just like Red baron said, when you hopefully get the warranty replacement tank, get it epoxy-lined just like I did on mine before the swap. MV will replace your tank only once so if new one expands again, you will be the one footing the bill for a replacement. I spent $315.00 on the service + RT shipping. I also treat my fuel with K100 additive as a precaution (belt and suspenders).

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 07-30-2013 at 11:14 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
Read this thread: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50705

Just like Red baron said, when you hopefully get the warranty replacement tank, get it epoxy-lined just like I did on mine before the swap.
My tank looks exactly like the pics in the linked thread. It seems that the consensus is to use Caswell to coat the inside? I'd rather not do this myself, so does anyone have a reference for a shop that could coat my new tank when it comes in?

My warranty expires in 3 weeks so I'm glad that I noticed it in time

2002 Ducati 998 Mono
2004 Ducati 999S
2011 MV Brutale 1090RR
2012 Ducati 848 Evo
1998 Ducati M900 Monster
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPants View Post
My warranty expires in 3 weeks so I'm glad that I noticed it in time
The tank should fall under the emissions warranty, which will likely have a much longer term than standard coverage for the rest of the bike. Ask your dealer about that. I know of one case here in CA where a Ducati tank was replaced five years after the bike sale date -- not necessarily relevant to you but just something to check on perhaps...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by makarushka View Post
The tank should fall under the emissions warranty, which will likely have a much longer term than standard coverage for the rest of the bike. Ask your dealer about that. I know of one case here in CA where a Ducati tank was replaced five years after the bike sale date -- not necessarily relevant to you but just something to check on perhaps...
Federal (and California) Emissions Control System Limited Warranty is 5 years from date of sale or 30,000km (18,641 miles) whichever comes first (for bikes 280cc and larger).

Notice that is a federal law and all manufacturers must comply....though some dealers are unaware of it, and there are some grey areas that may be interpreted differently from one person to the next.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Federal (and California) Emissions Control System Limited Warranty is 5 years from date of sale or 30,000km (18,641 miles) whichever comes first (for bikes 280cc and larger).

Notice that is a federal law and all manufacturers must comply....though some dealers are unaware of it, and there are some grey areas that may be interpreted differently from one person to the next.
Great info guys, I can't thank you enough. I'll be sure to share my experiences once the claim is submitted.

2002 Ducati 998 Mono
2004 Ducati 999S
2011 MV Brutale 1090RR
2012 Ducati 848 Evo
1998 Ducati M900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode