990R exhaust question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

990R exhaust question

I have installed the Arrow Inox (stainless steel) headers and mid pipe with O2 sensor bung on my 2010 Brutale 990R, using the stock mufflers. This eliminates the cat and the flapper valve from the exhaust. The servo motor was left mounted to the frame, but the cables are removed.

My question is: with this setup will the dual mufflers from a pre-2010 Brutale bolt right up, or are the dimensions and mounting points different? I am considering mounting pre-2010 mufflers (I think they have a more raspy sound) or perhaps Arrow dual mufflers (which only have a listing for pre-2010 machines).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 PM

Has there been any performance improvement?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I don't think so - but that wasn't what I was after. I am satisfied with the power production of the engine, especially since almost all of my riding on the Brutale is on twisty back roads in the Pacific Northwest (Washington State). I have other bikes for munching miles.

My 06 910S had a nasty (intoxicating) growl going up through 4,000 RPM and above that is missing in the 2010 (I'd leave the earplugs out sometimes just to enjoy it). It also had that unique "diesel" rattle at idle - from the radial valve layout I assume. Removing the cat makes little to no difference in sound, and as others have found replacing the head pipes doesn't gain much either (sound or power). However, going to the Arrow collector and mid pipe allows the removal of the flapper valve and restores that unique rattling sound at idle (better than a Ducati dry clutch I think). I've been told the true reason for the flapper valve has nothing to do with improving low RPM torque or horsepower, but that it is there to satisfy noise regulations for the idling bike - may be bull and may be true. It is now slightly louder at idle and sounds like my old Brut did at a stop.

I'm still after that ripping growl the 910 had that seems to be missing with the later model mufflers, which are a little slimmer and have the cleaner end caps. I like the look of either model of the original mufflers, and would seek out a pair of take-offs from someone who mounted aftermarket mufflers - or perhaps mount up a pair of the arrow twin mufflers (which don't list an application for the 2010 Brutale). I figured someone else on the forum may have put the older mufflers on the newer bike. I don't know if I would gain what I'm after with the Arrow pipes either - could buy them and not be satisfied if I went for that option....

Maybe I'll have to but another 910!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM

hello pale rider
the older model mufflers mount easely on the new style brutale
I mounted a pair off cose titanium older style , when I dyno'd my new front headers , just to see if there whas more improvement, and they fitted with no problem , mind you only 2 horses or so differance between OEM mufflers and those corse one's
cheers Peter

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS "TEAMWORK"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM

check also my earlyer topic on powerfigures
with new headers/mufflers
cheers
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54028

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Pikfee. Then I'll try and find some original pre-2010 mufflers so I don't have to buy another 910 to satisfy my sound itch.

I think if horsepower were the goal some additional wizardry would be involved - like installation of the Mircotec or some other tuning option to take advantage of the additional flow capacity of the modified exhaust, which I am considering anyway to make sure the fueling is correct. I've seen a pair of the Corse TI pipes offered at a very good price from one of the site sponsors - but without the dB killers. They would likely be too loud for my purposes, so I'll search for a clean set of early originals.

I assume you members with the 750's & 910's know what I'm referring to regarding the sound of those bikes. Somewhat raw for an OEM exhaust system. I always liked the crackle of the Kawasaki triples or even the Porsche's of the 70's for the same reason - hearing one of those wind up was like listening to a thousand tin cans being rattled and got the hair on your neck standing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

A good example of "cheap" horsepower is my 2002 Kawasaki ZRX 1200: a Muzzy slip-on can and an Ivan's jet kit plus a few strategically located small holes in the air box took that machine up to 125 HP at the rear wheel on the dyno. You can spend a little more for a set of ZZR cams and gain another handful if you want. Of course, that only brings you up to what the Brutale makes stock, and the Brutale is significantly more compact and lighter. The ZRX is a better 2-up bike though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
A good example of "cheap" horsepower is my 2002 Kawasaki ZRX 1200: a Muzzy slip-on can and an Ivan's jet kit plus a few strategically located small holes in the air box took that machine up to 125 HP at the rear wheel on the dyno. You can spend a little more for a set of ZZR cams and gain another handful if you want. Of course, that only brings you up to what the Brutale makes stock, and the Brutale is significantly more compact and lighter. The ZRX is a better 2-up bike though.
Waw a ZRX 1200 , I looked for one (eddie lawson replica)
a few years ago(I owned the original zrx1000 replica back in 1985) , but almost inpossible to find and if ,, the price..
had to settle for a XJR 1300 SP, also did the usual mods
and was quite happy with the grunt off it.
On the other hand , rode it like my F4 , and totalled it just after 3 days

So no more retro bike's for me...(at least for a while )
cheers
Peter

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Speaking of things ZRX

Taken on High Bridge Road in Western Washington - my '02 ZRX. Wheels are (were then) Carrozzeria forged aluminum modeled after the Eddie Lawson wheels. I've since changed them out to Dymag Ultra Pro 7's with a more subtle gold finish. The Carrozzeria's are now on my brother's '02 ZRX (which also used to be mine). Yes I sold mine, missed it and bought another. Funny thing, I bought the first one from a neighbor/friend/riding buddy (retired fireman). I bought the identical replacement ZRX from his next door neighbor (active duty fireman). Just keeping things in the family. I think I'm keeping this one.
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
Taken on High Bridge Road in Western Washington - my '02 ZRX. Wheels are (were then) Carrozzeria forged aluminum modeled after the Eddie Lawson wheels. I've since changed them out to Dymag Ultra Pro 7's with a more subtle gold finish. The Carrozzeria's are now on my brother's '02 ZRX (which also used to be mine). Yes I sold mine, missed it and bought another. Funny thing, I bought the first one from a neighbor/friend/riding buddy (retired fireman). I bought the identical replacement ZRX from his next door neighbor (active duty fireman). Just keeping things in the family. I think I'm keeping this one.
Yep
Nice bike pale
defenitly a keeper...
cheers
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode