need help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

need help

I had my first post just recently talking about how I loved my brutale, and apparently that was tempting fate. I have a 1078rr with 8400 miles, had 7500 service about two months ago, with no problems identified. On Sunday I was driving home from work, cruising about 40mph in 3rd. I was not accelerating or shifting when I heard something snap and then rattle briefly. I stopped and checked the bike and nothing appeared wrong. I drove the remaining mile home, and when I checked my bike the left side of the bike was dripping oil from around the kickstand. I cleaned it and couldn't find any leak, but the chain appeared loose. I then started it and oil began to steadily drip (pour almost) from underneath the panel over the chain and output shaft. My guess is chain possibly cracked the case? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I should mention that the bike rode home the rest of the way smoothly, no rattles or bumps. Shifted just fine. Haven't had time/comfortability to remove parts to check much further.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 AM

All will be revealed once that sprocket cover comes off. Hopefully not too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

New Site Garage
Did you happen to notice how tight the chain was prior to this?

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I did not notice how tight the chain was prior. I tend to leave it slightly on the loose side per advice on this forum to prevent hub failure. As mentioned I had it serviced a short time ago, and I briefly looked over everything and did not notice any obvious laxity. I hope to have time Friday to take things apart and check it out further. Thanks for any input. Also, I live in Northern California and Elk Grove Powersports is the closest dealer and where I had the bike serviced last. Anybody have any experience with them regarding mv agusta?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Before you bring it to the dealer, remove the chain cover and see what damage there is, as suggested. We might be able to diagnose your problem. A picture is worth a thousand words.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I will definitely do that. I have a lot of respect for the advice from the members of this forum. This forum is what made me, a man of limited mechanical abilities and living two hours from the nearest dealer, feel comfortable enough to buy an mv. I was more getting off subject when asking about dealerships because my dad's bike needs service soon and I don't have too much faith in where I took my bike. I will now shut up until I have some pictures
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m293rns View Post
I don't have too much faith in where I took my bike.
Trust your instincts. You need to have confidence that they have done the right thing.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
Trust your instincts. You need to have confidence that they have done the right thing.
Why? Ralf trusted them and they put the wrong diameter spacer in....

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=55243&page=4

not pretty

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM

New Site Garage
I've trusted mechanics for work and gotten my truck back with the wrong oil filter...that one cost me an engine. It's definitely worth going over what they've done (found a rag smoldering on my exhaust manifold another time), if you don't have the time to do it yourself.

I'm a speculator, so I'll take a guess. From the sound of things (crack, rattle, oil, loose chain, but still smooth ride home), and this is just speculation, I'd guess the outer output shaft bearing self destructed, chucked its cookies (the rattle) and now the shaft is free floating on the outside. It's lack of support slacks the chain, but the shaft is still relatively centered and supported enough not to wobble much during a relatively smooth ride. The oil fires out through the destroyed bearing. Never seen this happen (has anyone else?), but I'd think it's plausible and, again, pure speculation.

Let us know what you find out, good luck.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)

Last edited by Reckler; 07-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode