R vs Tuono - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

R vs Tuono

Hey guys, just another "is this bike as good as it's supposed to be" ask. I currently own an '06/7 Tuono. Absolutely the best bike I've owned. My riding is hard, twisties, some track days, some longer days touring but always thru interesting roads. I want to keep the Tuono (at least in the 'family'), but am being lured across to MV with the R brutale. I know they're different for all the obvious reasons, what I'm interested in is how MUCH better the R will be to the Tuono in the tight stuff. I've got the tuono well dialed in and there's not much that can keep up with me, so the MV's got to have the goods on the road as well as the track. I'm not buying it just for it's looks and all that mouthwatering finish, or the fact that it's probably the closest thing to an object of fine art as you can get with a motor vehicle, I need it to have the goods too.

Hope this doesn't sound too lame a post. I'm not asking to be talked into it. I've managed to oragainse a test ride, but I'm not thinking they'll take me too far so it's going to be hard to get a reaaly good feel for it, so you're thoughts would be much appreciated, especially from anyone that owns or has ridden an 06/7 Tuono. Thanks.

Last edited by apebrute; 12-28-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Established Member

Not exactly the same comparison, but I have an '03 Tuono Factory and an '04 750S Brutale. The Tuono has a dual Akra exhaust and chip, a Sargent seat and a “touring” windshield. The Brutale has a mini fairing from eMoto, a midpipe and a set of BST Carbon wheels (best mod I ever did to a motorcycle). The Tuono is simply the BEST motorcycle I have ever owned! The thing I like best about it is it not only handles great, runs great, feels great, etc., it is amazingly versital. Want to go for a three or four day 2000 mile ride? Toss the tail sack on and go. Is the seat perfect, no, but when you get back, you will be thinking about what a great time you had, not how beat up you are.

The Brutale is also a blast to ride, but VERY different. The ergos are much poorer, and to really enjoy it, you have to wring the sh!t out of it! After a hard ride, I am really tired and beat (even though it was a blast). The Tuono is easy to go fast on, the Brutale requires every bit of concentration I have. I go about as fast on both on the street and haven’t had either on the track.

The build quality is a bit better on the Tuono, but not by much. That said, neither is as good as they could be, and, while I’ll get a lot of crap for saying it, the fit and finish on the Jap bikes these days is as good or better than either the Aprilia or the MV.

I don’t really care for the looks of the Tuono. The Brutale is beautiful to look at. The exhaust note of the Tuono “booms” – I really like it. The MV shrieks – it sounds like an F1 car – and I love it - for about an hour. After that it hurts.

If I had to only have one, it would be the Tuono, but the MV has been a lot of fun and gets way more attention when it is standing still. Not sure what a newer Tuono or a 910 would do to the comparo, but my thoughts seem to be in line with most of the mag reviews.

Hope that helps.

Chuck S.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Established Member

Apebrute,
One other thought. When I got my Tuono, there wasn't a lot of performance upgrades available for it other than exhausts and chips. Now there are quite a few aftermarket bits available. From what I can see, there are very few aftermarket upgrades for the Brutale. You can add carbon fiber covers and cool mirrors all day and they may make you feel good, but you won't go any faster....

Come on guys, 60 some views and no one has a comment....

Chuck S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:38 AM

Tuono is a great bike. Very similar (but different) to the Brutale.

Park both side by side and take a long look at both. No styling from the Tuono.

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaman
Come on guys, 60 some views and no one has a comment...Chuck S.
I've ridden both but much less experience than conveyed above.

Seems more of a twin vs inline choice to me

Just out of curiosity, I'm curious what sorts of aftermarket bits you mean that are not available for the Brutale that are for the Tuono? I ride with an RSVR factory and a Tuono so watch apriliaforum pretty regularly, I must not have noticed our deficit?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
I noticed the Tuono was a bit top heavier...hence the way it was so easy to get the front off the ground. Also it's a twin, it's like they were born to be on one wheel.

I haven't gotten a TON of saddle time on the Tuono, but it's physically bigger. I'm a tall guy, and it was no problem of ergos for me, but I prefer a smaller bike as preference. I'm 6 foot even, with the lanky limbs of somebody probably around 6'9"...and I'm not cramped on the Brutale.

As for the comment about concentrating to ride the Brute....I actually think it's one of the EASIEST bikes to ride, not to mention funnest. I can only imagine the R being funner, not more work...
Give her a ride...and you'll probably never look back.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Established Member

James C.,
Both have exhaust choices, but far more with the Aprilia. Other Tuono bits available include a wide variety of chips, air box kits, larger throttle bodies, cams and almost reasonably priced big bore kits. As best I can tell, for the 910 as well as the 750, there are very few chips available and little more beyond that. If you don’t plan on modifying your bike, no issue. Just something to be aware of.

Nate,
The Tuono lives with its front wheel in the air more because of its power and torque characteristics than a significant difference in weight distribution. If you park the two bikes side by side, you will see almost no difference in overall length (and wheelbase), and the seat, gas tank and handlebars are actually higher on the Brutale (handlebar and tank by a couple of inches). To get the most out of either bike requires a lot of concentration, but my 750 requires a lot more shifting and attention to RPM to go fast than the Aprilia does (this may not be true on the 910). As an ex-pro roadracer (many years ago), I enjoy making the Brutale go fast, but I am tired when I am done. My issues with the ergos have more to do with the crappy seat which pushes you forward into the tank and the high rpm buzz in the handlebars (puts my hands to sleep) more than anything else. The throttle is extremely sensitive on the Brutale and the return spring a little too strong. I also find the levers on the Brutale too short (or just positioned wrong relative to the grips) so when you pull in the clutch, it forces your hand toward the center of the handlebar. These are nit picky items, but they are there and to dismiss them because it’s an MV is disingenuous. I am “comfortable” on both bikes and 6’ tall and lanky.

For the record, I do not mean to slam the Brutale. I really enjoy mine, and, yes, it is very "pretty" and a hell of a lot of fun. But so many of the posts on this forum seem much less than objective about MV relative to any other brand.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Well, the return spring mod relieves the throttle stiffness. I dunno, maybe my MV is different, in that, I don't feel the vibration in the handlebars alot of people seem to have. If anything, my Brutale runs SMOOTHER than most bikes, even if the mirrors tell another tale.

I dunno, when I sat on a Tuono, it felt alot bigger to me. May be it's the sitting position, but it just didn't feel as nimble, or as easy for me to toss it around.

Aesthetics aside, I think the Brutale just fit me so much better, even if it is designed for a shorter person. I can touch flat footed with bent legs, lol.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaman
James C.,
Both have exhaust choices, but far more with the Aprilia. Other Tuono bits available include a wide variety of chips, air box kits, larger throttle bodies, cams and almost reasonably priced big bore kits. As best I can tell, for the 910 as well as the 750, there are very few chips available and little more beyond that. If you don’t plan on modifying your bike, no issue. Just something to be aware of.
Thanks I don't agree.

The organized aftermarket dealers are less plentiful but the offerings are not. It's true though you do have to look and exposure is hard to come by Arrow, gianelli, zard, Xop, MV Corse, Motocorse, Roadcraft Japan, Silmotor, Quat and a few other lesser known euro brands make exhausts. Chips are by the same as above plus moto-one, wct, etc. I think most prefer to go custom rapidbike/pcIII than an eprom that just increases 20% trim across the board so the suppliers have responded by developing fewer eproms.

Two big bore suppliers but only one is 'reasonable'.

QB once sold an enlarged airbox and air tubes but it was deemed less effective than hoped as far as I know. Raising the tank off the throttle bodies with foam and a tray/filter is a little different than what's required for MV.

I'd have agreed with you if you mentioned mookiedog's ECU project or the dryclutch conversion but those are extremely personal endeavor's and not exactly mass market. As are the superchargers or shower injectors and really I don't see the larger TBs as a common mod? Are they required here? Look at the rail on a 200BHP veltro and compare with the 750s then you tell me

It's funny you assume people are less objective when I believe most here have more than one marque in the garage.

JamesC

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=wallaman]

The build quality is a bit better on the Tuono, but not by much. That said, neither is as good as they could be, and, while I’ll get a lot of crap for saying it, the fit and finish on the Jap bikes these days is as good or better than either the Aprilia or the MV.

Your comments are fair - I think the 910 would fare better against the new Tuono. But...I have to disagree with you on the build quality as you anticipated. I don't own a Jap bike but have seen many new ones with the group I ride with. I'm sure they are great machine - but the fit and finish is poor. The value proposition is strong...but, IMO, you get what you pay for.

08 BMW HP2 Sport
10 MV 1090RR
86 BMW R80 G/S
47 Indian Chief
73 Norton Commando Cafe Racer
70 BMW R50/5
70 Triumph T100C
68 BMW R60/2
80 Vespa PX 125
Derringer Indian Board Track Replica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode