Picked up my 12 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Picked up my 12 1090RR

So got her home after an insane ride! (In the Route Log thread) At the 600 mile service...

The "OK" button wasn't working so the dash is being replaced.

Throttle Advancer (choke) wasnt working at all (They fixed that)

There is oil "weeping" from the lower left side of the motor. When the new dash comes in they will take the bike for more time to figure that out. Little disappointed in that but could be worse.

Headlight had some internal condensation after riding through some cold fog/drizzle

The "sport" mode that is supposed to be cycled by the start button doesn't seem to work. When I press it, the sport thing just flashes but then remains on. Not sure if its a dash problem or what. Any input?

first impressions on this. Throttle response was smoother than I expected. Transmission missed gears more than I'd like to admit, others had problems with this? Quick shifter needed? Needs heavier bar ends to dampen the vibration (tingling fingers). Handles GREAT in the twisties and the Pirellis are top notch. 1000 miles of riding in the first 2 days. Here's to hoping for MANY more
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM

New Site Garage
Did you do the ride two up? Kind of curious how your passenger found the ride comfort over that long a ride.

I found the sport mode switch instructions a bit off. It says to press the starter when the bike is running for one second, then press again for one second to change it. I found that the first press got the mode flashing, but when I pressed the second time for the same second it just gave up. I've found that once it's flashing a second quick press works, then wait for it to stop flashing and it will change.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

My wife didn't do this trip with me. I took her riding once I got home. She probably would have been less than pleased with my mileage choice in a short time period lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM

I also have a hard shifting gear box. They say it will get better with more km on it.

It is worse on low outside temperatures and on low revs.

Try to adjust the shifting lever a little down so that you'll have a little more power on it.

Jochen

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
+ 1 on that...a little break in time and lever adjustment.

The fast idle "choke" lever is just a throttle cable adjustment.

I found the heavier bar ends from Motovation (a sponsor here) along with a pair of gel grips took care of the buzz in my bars.

The oil leak may just be the phonic wheel cover on the left side of the engine. A powder test will tell all. You could do that yourself. Clean area completely then spray a dry foot powder (Desenex?) on the area of suspect. Start engine and look for the dark spot to appear...there's the leak!

A better powder to use is the "developer" for a dye penetrant test used by welders...if you can find some. Fault Finder is one brand...about $6~10 bucks a can. You only need the developer...not the cleaner and dye..

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Are you still running on thin oil,? have you had your first service yet?,they will change the oil ,make sure they use the proper stuff ,this will reduce your phantom gear changes ,and after a while it will become smooth as silk.

cheers eddy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Everyone mentioned the shifter lever adjustment but I will echo it nonetheless: adjusting the rearsets along with the lever position and the shifter knob itself absolutely transformed the way the gearbox felt for me and shifting became absolutely flawless, this on the same model bike within the first 100miles, and now at close to 2K it is indeed smooth as silk.

Regarding the fueling mode changes: the ONLY sequence that works 100% on my bike, every time, is as follows. Press the start button ONCE to get the "SPORT" flashing. Then, WHILE IT CONTINUES TO FLASH, press the start button consecutively THREE more times. Steady, positive presses -- not too fast, not too slow. Then the mode changes -- either SPORT stays if you were in regular/rain or it goes away if you were in SPORT already.

Try it... Don't ask me how this was figured out... Cost me an my dealer a LOT of frustration and grief. This, along with the pure genius behind the trip counter reset operation, are the real engineering easter eggs in this otherwise sublime machine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubeda7 View Post
So got her home after an insane ride! (In the Route Log thread) At the 600 mile service...

The "OK" button wasn't working so the dash is being replaced.

Throttle Advancer (choke) wasnt working at all (They fixed that)

There is oil "weeping" from the lower left side of the motor. When the new dash comes in they will take the bike for more time to figure that out. Little disappointed in that but could be worse.

Headlight had some internal condensation after riding through some cold fog/drizzle

The "sport" mode that is supposed to be cycled by the start button doesn't seem to work. When I press it, the sport thing just flashes but then remains on. Not sure if its a dash problem or what. Any input?

first impressions on this. Throttle response was smoother than I expected. Transmission missed gears more than I'd like to admit, others had problems with this? Quick shifter needed? Needs heavier bar ends to dampen the vibration (tingling fingers). Handles GREAT in the twisties and the Pirellis are top notch. 1000 miles of riding in the first 2 days. Here's to hoping for MANY more
Hi Grubeda,my 1090RR's gearbox was the same,now at 8000klm its great,smooth and quick without the clutch,slipper must help along with Amsoil i had two changes with Motul but i think its mechanically quieter(valve gear etc) and the gearchange even better,i also had vibration early but didn't bother me, part of the style of the bike, but now its really smooth i could imagine touring with it,just soften up the suspension from how its set now,by the way us Aussies are envious of such great roads,that must have been a blast of a trip Cheers Steve
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 PM

Could also need the shifter spring service done.

Try shifting WITHOUT the clutch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Are you still running on thin oil,? have you had your first service yet?,they will change the oil ,make sure they use the proper stuff ,this will reduce your phantom gear changes ,and after a while it will become smooth as silk.

cheers eddy

I have had 2 oil changes done on the bike already. I will get to adjusting the rearsets and levers and that should hopefully help. I appreciate all the insight and welcome more.

Any particular mods/tips/tricks that people have found along the way? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode