Stall under heavy acceleration - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Stall under heavy acceleration

Tonight I went out for a quick jaunt with my girlfriend riding pillion. Under some hard acceleration up through the gears, the bike stalled out, leaving us rolling. I pulled over and the bike started right up.

Any ideas? I just bought this bike less than two weeks ago. It's a little disconcerting :/

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcity View Post
Tonight I went out for a quick jaunt with my girlfriend riding pillion. Under some hard acceleration up through the gears, the bike stalled out, leaving us rolling. I pulled over and the bike started right up.

Any ideas? I just bought this bike less than two weeks ago. It's a little disconcerting :/

Killcity would you mind telling us what bike it is that you have, maybe add it in the registry or under your signature. And then give us a bit more details before everybody goes on a guessing spree.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

It's a 2010 1090RR. I think this might've happened once before but it was more like I hit the redline and the tach dropped back to idle instead of stalling. I had thought it was some sort of rev limiter. I'll add myself to the registry.

Just a little upsetting since I was expecting to be on something newer without any issues.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I just discovered two completely unhooked cables that lead to the exhaust. Perhaps this is the cause??

Name:  ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371612734.723470.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  127.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371612749.022418.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  120.2 KB

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Took cover plate off and see the other ends (not connected). Side note: I found a receipt for a titanium feracci exhaust and some ecu flashing. I presume the guy that sold the bike kept the exhaust for his newer brutale. Looks like this was a quick "slap on" of the old oem exhaust without care to hook the exhaust valve cables back up? What does the exhaust valve actuator do and also would this cause my problem?

Thanks everyone

Name:  ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1371612943.324869.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  144.7 KB

Last edited by killcity; 06-18-2013 at 10:47 PM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
killcity;
the usual default position is the valve wide open, regardless of the connection/position of the cables

is there a user accessible error code available on the new MVs?

i have no idea.....

but my '03 built Aprilia RSVR has that

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

There's no error code. I didn't even notice this until I sat down and started looking at the connections on the bike.

I'm wondering if this ecu still has the mapping for the old exhaust and the exhaust valve actuator MIL deleted? Is there a way to tell if its stock or not? I would think running the map for the titanium exhaust with the stock exhaust could cause mondo problems.

Fortunately I have the name of the two former owners in the paperwork that came with the bike. I'm going to try and contact the last one (hopefully without creeping him out!) regarding what he did with the bike and any problems he might've had.

Last edited by killcity; 06-18-2013 at 11:58 PM.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 AM

I would say the previous owner had a decate and race ecu ,therefore these cables would have been tied up under the bike,we did this on tony brutale 1090rr,any idea what ecu you have back in the bike,and is it the original or have you got a race ecu. cheers eddy
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
I would say the previous owner had a decate and race ecu ,therefore these cables would have been tied up under the bike,we did this on tony brutale 1090rr,any idea what ecu you have back in the bike,and is it the original or have you got a race ecu. cheers eddy
Not sure - what's the easiest way to tell? Do you also happen to know how to hook the exhaust valve cables back up (do I need to remove the tank to hook them to the actuator?)

Thanks again!

Last edited by killcity; 06-19-2013 at 07:31 AM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

So I got in touch with the former owner and I also took the tank off. The ECU is indeed flashed by Ferracci. I'm thinking the stock exhaust + Ferracci map is causing a problem.

I left a message for Eraldo (the previous owner actually sent this bike to PA to have them install and tune it for the titanium system) to see what he recommends as he was the one that did all the work. I definitely cannot afford to spend $2500 on that same system.

I figure I can do the following:

1) remove ecu and send it back to Ferracci to be stock flashed
2) buy an aftermarket slip on and hope the Ferracci map will work with it
3) buy a power commander and set it to work with stock exhaust

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode