more electrical woes (dash and tachometer) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

more electrical woes (dash and tachometer)

Hi y'all- So I've just developed a new problem. I've got no dash display (mph, odometer, temp, etc.) and my tachometer is dead also. The bikes staarts and runs fine, the tunrn signals and lights work, and the little LED's on the dash (such as kick stand, neutral indicator, etc.) DO work. The fuses are all good. Is there something else I could check, or do I assume it's my CDI/SPU? Is there any way to test that this is the problem, or do I simply replace it and see if things work?
Also, is there any place recommended to order one from, or is the dealer the best bet?
Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk View Post
Hi y'all- So I've just developed a new problem. I've got no dash display (mph, odometer, temp, etc.) and my tachometer is dead also. The bikes staarts and runs fine, the tunrn signals and lights work, and the little LED's on the dash (such as kick stand, neutral indicator, etc.) DO work. The fuses are all good. Is there something else I could check, or do I assume it's my CDI/SPU? Is there any way to test that this is the problem, or do I simply replace it and see if things work?
Also, is there any place recommended to order one from, or is the dealer the best bet?
Thanks,
Michael
If I may quote Pink Floyd-"Is there anybody out there?" No suggestions or recommendations?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM
cus

those displays probably share either power or ground ,could be SPU or something more technical but start with the simple (and cheap) stuff first, connectors first then power and ground supplies, a simple multimeter will be invaluable. A good jiggle does wonders sometimes,

keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 AM
cus

Especially since you were playing around in the headlight area it`s quite possible you may have bumped the wiring to the dash. I`ll have a look at mine in case there is anything that looks easy to knock loose
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM
cus

Ok, you need a 2.5mm allen key and remove the dash cover, it slides forward after removing the two bolts. There are three connectors but the one you really need to check is on the right as you sit on the bike and it should have a rubber boot over it. Before you unplug it check for damage,loosness etc, then disconnect and inspect all pins are in place and clean ,maybe spray with some elec contact cleaner and reconnect and see what happens. If no joy someone else on here may be able give details of wiring schematics.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
Ok, you need a 2.5mm allen key and remove the dash cover, it slides forward after removing the two bolts. There are three connectors but the one you really need to check is on the right as you sit on the bike and it should have a rubber boot over it. Before you unplug it check for damage,loosness etc, then disconnect and inspect all pins are in place and clean ,maybe spray with some elec contact cleaner and reconnect and see what happens. If no joy someone else on here may be able give details of wiring schematics.
Thanks Mark- Take things apart and put them back together- that'll be the first thing I try, well within my capabilities! (Famous last words!)
best,
Michael
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM

mrossk,
I just had the same issue with my 750.
After checking everything (Connections, fuses, metering all of the earth points on the bike) I had to bring it to a dealer.
Turns out the dash was defective, they luckily had one from an F4 parts bike kicking around.. They quoted me $1300 from MV, you can probably find one on the forum though.. Check the SPU part number and make sure it's the new one (see CAG's sticky at the top of the brutale forum page for more info).
If you have a friend near by with an MV see if you can borrow their dash to do a swap/test?
Good luck, and keep us posted
Nate

Last edited by Nhonor; 06-19-2013 at 12:07 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I took a chance and installed a new SPU and I'm happy to say it worked. Thanks to Star Twin for the really quick shipping and delivery (Less than week from Holland to New Mexico!). Not a cheap fix, buit it worked. As an FYI, one has to raise the tank some to be able to remove/replace the SPU- I supported the tank with a block of wood and the rest was straightfoward. As a few others have mentioned, it seems like the bike is a little smoother at parking lot speeds. Is that possible or am I imagining things?
Thanks for the input and advice!
Michael
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 AM
cus

Good one ,we like happy endings
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM

so im having this same problem. I took the dash apart to find resistor 1 ahhh let's just say "VERY WELL DONE" can anyone find the value of R1 for me Please

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode