About to pull the trigger - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

About to pull the trigger

Hello all, I'm new here, and about to pull the trigger on a Brutale S.

It has been over a year now since I test rode this bike, and to this day I cannot get it off my head, I tell it to go away and try everything to shoo it away, but the Brutale has always been in my head the whole time. So I know it's serious.

I almost purchased it a year ago for $12k, but held back because the local MV dealership was going to close down. I was nervous about the prospect of not having a dealer nearby in case I needed repairs. Now I have an opportunity to buy it at less.

I am an experienced rider, and seemingly have had all kinds of bikes, my most recent purchase was a Ducati 749R last year (I can go on for pages about how I love this bike, but will spare you the details!). But the Brutale is a bike I feel I must own.

Now this is where I need some help: I have gone through almost every thread on the Brutale here, and (when it was working) on the BrutaleForum.com as well, but I cannot seem to find commentary from a High-Mileage owner of the brutale S.

I WANT to put plenty miles on this bike, a little more than the 4 or 5k miles I would usually put towards my other bikes yearly. I WANT to own this bike for a little more than the "few" years (4, at most) that I usually kept my other bikes. My concern is the bike's longevity, could anyone help me out with making this final decision? Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
G'day Ziggy48. I got the first Brutale intop Australia about 3 years ago (flew it direct from the factory). Same as you I just had to have one. I wanted it as my more touring (if that is the right word) bike while still being essentially a sport bike. I use it for my annual pilgrimages to Philip Island Races about a 3,000 km round trip. I have over 16,000kms and no problems to speak of and I ride it hard. I have a MV 1000 now also for the road but I am about to track that. I raced a 748sp for a number of years and had numerous Dukes on the road.
If you are worried about longevity then don't these machines are far superior to the dukes your used to.
Go for it.

MVA Sydney
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Greg, I appreciate it, and in fact am surprised to hear that a Brutale can possibily be more reliable than the Duc (I mean, at least the more recent models). Can you picture a Brutale 25, 30k miles and up, still running strong with just regular maintenance? Since I am looking in the used market, the bike I am likely to get probably already has a 5-10k miles head start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 AM

I have 12,000 miles on my '04 thay I bought new last March. While I have had some mechanical flukes, they've all been taken care of quickly and under warranty. I imagine it'll be hard to find a Brute with more miles, since they only came out 3 years ago, but I'm sure they're out there. The bike begs to be driven, and it's never left me stuck anywhere.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM

The very vast majority of parts are shared between F4 and Brutale, no matter if you're talking 750, 910 or 1000. I would not worry about long term reliability.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
The very vast majority of parts are shared between F4 and Brutale, no matter if you're talking 750, 910 or 1000. I would not worry about long term reliability.
Yes, ditto on that, and James certainly has many miles and years on his F4!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
many years on his F4!
Only 3.5yrs. I'm a newb relative to the likes of some on here!!

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I have been giving it a lot of thought as well and have decided to just go for it. And so my hunt for a nice used 750 is on. Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
You won't be disappointed. It will take some adjustment from your Duke riding but well worth the experience. Hey lifes dull without new experiences.

Enjoy the hunt

MVA Sydney
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Good luck on the search!!!! You won't be disappointed when you get her in your possession...the absolute BEST BIKE you will ever ride. The only way you'll ride a better bike, is when you go up a model, lol.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode