Advice on chain and sprocket - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joanne
Advice on chain and sprocket

After a truly awful winter. My chain and sprocket aren't looking so good keep cleaning and oiling but the rust shows through.

So advice please, i'm thinking new chain and sprocket maybe a nice gold one?
Just wondering what make ? type? x ring O ring? same sprocket or different size. Any advice will be welcomed.
I am pretty much resided to changing it and don't mind too much about the cost. with in reason!
It's the Brutale 1099rr 2012 model, with about 2500 miles on it.
Thanks for any help..
Jo

It's all very funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by joanne; 05-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink new stuff?

Hi Joanne;
at only 2,500mi there is no reason to change the chain and sprockets

a fine wire brush in an electric drill will fix the rust
wear gloves and safety glasses

then use chain wax on your chain....it doesn't really lube the chain (its sealed) but it stops the rust and helps the sprockets

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Established Member

Our choices are limited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne View Post
After a truly awful winter. My chain and sprocket aren't looking so good keep cleaning and oiling but the rust shows through.

Just wondering what make ? type? x ring O ring? same sprocket or different size. Any advice will be welcomed.
I am pretty much resided to changing it and don't mind too much about the cost. with in reason!
Thanks for any help..
Jo
The chain on my MV has a bit of rust on it too (Have to heat the garage this winter). Anyhow, the chain is easy, any quality x-ring will do (pic attached of my setup on the Duc) Sitting next to the MV and no rust. Not sure about the rear sprocket choices for the MV. Our rear sprocket setup sucks due to our redesigned sprocket / cush from 2010 on and it does not look like the aftermarket has many choices yet for 2010+ Let us know what you find...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:

Thanks for any help..
Jo
What Noel said Joanne, or if you do want a new Gold one, RK or DID and make sure it's the right size ie 525 I believe. No need for sprockets at such low mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones525 View Post
The chain on my MV has a bit of rust on it too (Have to heat the garage this winter). Anyhow, the chain is easy, any quality x-ring will do (pic attached of my setup on the Duc) Sitting next to the MV and no rust. Not sure about the rear sprocket choices for the MV. Our rear sprocket setup sucks due to our redesigned sprocket / cush from 2010 on and it does not look like the aftermarket has many choices yet for 2010+ Let us know what you find...
Lot's of options out there mate, rear sprockets are the same type as the 06-09 MV's, not sure about the front sprockets though, but that would be easy to check via part list's.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
There isn't a chain in my collection that clean.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joanne
Jones525! I have definite chain envy.
What a smart set up, how much did that cost u? were from?
I just think the build quality of the chain is no of a good standard to go that quick.
Just cannot stand to look at it people think i don't look after it.
Gonna try and clean it up with the wire brush idea first. then.

It's all very funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Established Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Jones525! I have definite chain envy.
What a smart set up, how much did that cost u? were from?
I just think the build quality of the chain is no of a good standard to go that quick.
Just cannot stand to look at it people think i don't look after it.
Gonna try and clean it up with the wire brush idea first. then.
The EK525 chain was $110
The AEM hub was $150
The Supersprox sprocket was $90
The Ti cush drive nuts were $45

All US suppliers. PM me if you'd like the actual vendors, not sure if I can list them here.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

No problem sharing Jones525, as long as it doesn't turn into a advertising campaign, at the end of the day it's about the options for the forum members.

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agus...ains_Sprockets

Many options here Joanne, just make sure you don't confuse your bike options with the earlier B4's as previously mentioned.. If you're in the UK it might be easy to pick up the phone and ring Al at Design Corse for first hand info.
Good Luck

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink rust?

Joanne;
i'm assuming your MV came with Regina Extra chain
both my MVs and my Aprilia have them as OEM equipment
i only use Regina Extra, i have had the same one on my push bike for 57 years, and it was used when i got it
the original one on my Aprilia RSVR went 30,000mi...it wasn't worn, it was kinking from lack of lube
my F4 ('05) has 16,000mi no chain problems
the 910R ('08) has 19,000mi adjusted once by me (bought it with 4,100mi)

derusting, i use a 0.006" wire dia. stainless wire brush in a pneumatic die grinder, run it perpendicular to the chain plates NOT parallel....you will eat the O,W or X rings if you do

spray some WD-40 in there beforehand

also remove the rear wheel and mask the brake disc off

i get 2,800mi to a Japanese push bike chain and bend Shimano Dura Ace sprocket teeth

they are junk.......but they were free

PS; i used to sell motorcycle chain in 250' rolls

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 05-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones525 View Post
Wow, that is the gleamiest rear end I've ever seen.....a joy to behold...what's the secret

Brutale 910S 2006, KTM SMT 990 2009, Suzuki V-Strom DL650A ABS 2010 (ex BMW R1150RT 2002)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode