Throttle Sensitivity - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Throttle Sensitivity

Hey everyone!

06 910s here, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the throttle being very sensitive and if there is any adjustment for that.

I understand that is how the throttles are on this bike, but I was wondering if any of you had found a fix to make the throttle response more smooth and less stressful on the wrist. My wrist gets super sore because i tense so much trying to keep the throttle smooth and consistent when riding.

Please chime in!

Thanks all.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Established Member

A Microtec ECU has made the world of difference to mine. Not that it's reduced the sensitivity but because it fuels so much better, it's easier to manage.

There's still a hint of sensitivity plus I prefer a short throttle action, so I'm going to put a QAT on next.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Can you elaborate on what the ECU will do? As well as what the cost is and who can pull off something like this?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith176 View Post
Can you elaborate on what the ECU will do? As well as what the cost is and who can pull off something like this?

Mark
It's a replacement for the stock ECU so controls the fuelling, ignition etc.

Chris at X-Bikes is your man - see the site sponsor links for his website/contact details.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
A proper tuning of the TPS, throttle body synch and idle CO% trim can make a big difference. the key is finding an MV tech that knows how to do that properly.

One of the best MV techs in the country is the service manager at the BMW-Triumph-Ducati-MV dealer in Charlotte NC. Ask for Michael in service.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Established Member

Easy fix

For many years i have used throttle friction devices to hold the throttle at a fixed position when I release my hand. All the old English bikes I learned to ride had Amal throttles and an adjustable friction was standard. BMW used the same strategy until the mid 90's.

The side benefit is the added friction and small force required to make minuscule changes in speed help the rider smooth out their riding. Once one gets used to a bit of friction in the throttle, they almost never go back to the old ways. On the MV and my other bikes, I simply snap an o-ring with a cross section around 4-5mm between the bar weight and the end of the grip. You need a ring big e'nuff as to not get stuck inside the narrow gap.

Select a ring just big e'nuff to still allow the grip to slowly close when the bike is vibrating down the road and try several sizes till you gain the friction you want. This will definitely smooth out your control.

If you tire of the friction while riding, simply roll the ring onto the bar end weight.

This big yellow one comes from your local Caterpillar tractor dealer.

Ciao,
Dick
Attached Images

Last edited by racasey; 05-12-2013 at 06:22 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 AM

That's a good tip Dick.

My Beemers have throttle friction and it is ace when touring for obvious reasons. This is great tip for bikes like my Guzzi which have no friction screw.

I think the op is asking about throttle rate of opening the butterflys.

My Jota can have a fast throttle fitted or a slower version where unit angle of rotation results in less opening of the butterflys . A smaller circumference is the key at the throttle.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Established Member

my power commander 3 did wonders for the hyper sensatvity of a 910r. It's much cheaper than the microtech too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Don't forget the old trick of disconnecting the spring on the left of the throttle bodies. It makes transition from closed to open throttle much nicer.

Dave.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I was referring to the sensitivity that the throttle causes, so if I hit a bump, my wrist moves 1mm and the bike goes flying to 100 mph, lol. But I will look into the spring thing but I'm afraid that it will cause the spring that is left to wear out?

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode