Iím a bit confused here - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Iím a bit confused here

During my maintenance jobs Iíve done to my Brute, I took off the clutch master cylinder from the handlebars and noticed a hole on the fixed part of the mounting clamp wich I think itís used for the correct positioning of it on the handlebars. Also noticed a similar hole on the handlebars around the same area (see photos below).

I thought to myself that there must be a pin going through those holes wich helps positioning correctly the clutch/brake master cylinder on the handlebars on both sides of it.
Start looking into the parts manual and found part #29(page D04), code: 6AN155034, wich seems to be the pin I needed. Next stop made an order to StarTwin and, among other parts Iíve ordered, those pins arrived very fast (you can see it in the photo).

I was very happy and tried to place it in to align the master cyl. correctly. Surprise: no way those pins (Iíve ordered 5 of them for spare) will fit in any of those holes. The difference in diameter is not very big and, even though they have a ditch (as you can see in the photo), they canít be adjusted due to the hard material theyíre made of.
So, can someone enlighten me if those pins should fit there or there is something else wich helps align the master cyl. on the bars. And if it is what are those pins for?

Thank you,
Laur.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 910_spare_parts.pdf (127.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Laurtm1; 05-09-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM

New Site Garage
Can't see your pictures matey.

Excuse my ignorance Laur, not sure what to call you, you have a very long name.
My name is Theodorus Bernardus if you want to have a laugh.

But............ what happened to the pins which where in the M/C ?

Many people remove these pins when they install custom parts, so that they can reposition to a new spot.
In most cases, we install the Clutch M/C or Front Brake M/C where we need it and tighten the clamp up, this works in most cases.

You can also drill the clamps or the bars to position them as you need.

Cheers

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Now I hope I've fixed the photos problem.
Laur it's o.k. Donsy. My full name is Laurentiu Toma (wich translates Lawrence Thomas in english I believe)
When I took off the MC there was no pin in those holes so that's why I don't know how it should look like.
But I don't think that the pin in the photo is the one that fix the MC in the correct position.
So what are those pins for?

Laur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM

That pin in your hand looks just like the pin I took out of the original bars that locked them in position to a hole in the clamp. The pins I removed from mirror mount is brass looking & ribbed.
I have put Rizoma bars on now & don't use any of those annoying pins on my 990r.
Jon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

That pin you've mentioned, the one that locked the bars in position, has a different part code: 6AN155037 and the ones that I have should be 6AN155034 so not the same I think. At least that's printed on the bag label, but in the bag are the ones that you see in my hand.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM

pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurtm1 View Post
During my maintenance jobs Iíve done to my Brute, I took off the clutch master cylinder from the handlebars and noticed a hole on the fixed part of the mounting clamp wich I think itís used for the correct positioning of it on the handlebars. Also noticed a similar hole on the handlebars around the same area (see photos below).

I thought to myself that there must be a pin going through those holes wich helps positioning correctly the clutch/brake master cylinder on the handlebars on both sides of it.
Start looking into the parts manual and found part #29(page D04), code: 6AN155034, wich seems to be the pin I needed. Next stop made an order to StarTwin and, among other parts Iíve ordered, those pins arrived very fast (you can see it in the photo).

I was very happy and tried to place it in to align the master cyl. correctly. Surprise: no way those pins (Iíve ordered 5 of them for spare) will fit in any of those holes. The difference in diameter is not very big and, even though they have a ditch (as you can see in the photo), they canít be adjusted due to the hard material theyíre made of.
So, can someone enlighten me if those pins should fit there or there is something else wich helps align the master cyl. on the bars. And if it is what are those pins for?

Thank you,
Laur.
Yes, the pins are used to align the master cylinder to the handlebars. The pins that you have look very similar to the ones I have, although I believe that my pins were a 'brass' colour.

The starter button assembly also has a pin to ensure that the starter assembly also fits / aligns onto the handlebars correctly.

When I switched the placement of my starter assembly and moved my master cylinder, I had to drill another hole in the handlebar, so that it would fit together.

The pins are very hard to remove, so not sure why you don't have any - they would be almost impossible to fall out ?

Besides alignment, the pins stop the master cylinder / starter assembly from 'rolling' around the bars.

See my thread:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...light=mistress

Post # 14

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

The pins that I'm missing are just the ones from brake and clutch M/C. The left/right command units are ok. Someone mess with MC's and lost the pins. Does anyone has a picture of one of this pins from MC so I can see how they look like?

Laur.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down pinned?

Laurentiu;
being old and having fallen down a few times

i prefer my levers at different angles than stock.....so i remove the pins

i drill and safety wire my levers bolts at a torque that they won't break the levers ......when i fall down again

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM

I to have removed the pins, gives more adjustment and when tightened up they aint moving unless in a crash when you want them to move, I think you are stressing needlessly.

James
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 PM

I had to grind off the pin in the indicator switch mounting and the one on the accelerator housing. Ditch them all as they are a pain for adjusting things and not nessecary to hold things in position. I used a little bit of rubber on the indicator mounting to get a tighter fit.
I gather the manufacturer uses these pins as it would save time in installation but it means the rider can't adjust to suit, hence a real pain in the arse and MV please stop doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode