Help: 2010 Brute 990R re-starting issue when warm - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Amer Send a message via Yahoo to Amer
Help: 2010 Brute 990R re-starting issue when warm

I recently started having an issue similar to the post in "1090RR will not crank (occasionally)" Here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52550

Basically if I start the bike when cold I have no issues. If go ride for about 20+ mins...Turn off the bike wait for a few mins and then try to start the bike and then is when it struggles.

When I turn the key, the pump primes w/out issues then I hit the starter button and that is when it struggles to start. If I leave the bike to cool down for 30mins it starts fine.

I have cycled through all the gears and still does the same issue when warm. It also does not make a difference if the kickstand is up or down. Clutch always engaged when starting.

I sent a PM to RACasey but have not heard back, but in the above post that I reference he asked the question if the trip meter resets...In my case it is YES. Yes the trip meter resets when trying to re-start the bike when it is warm.

Any ideas what it could be?

I did take a video of the starting issue and apologies for the bad footage...I was alone and was holding the phone camera and starting with one hand, while the other was pulling the clutch it.

Bike starts on the 3rd try and the trip meter automatically goes back to zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8LHAXe5O1w

A little bit about the bike: 2010 99R w/~4K miles. I have a race ECU installed along with a HP Corse Hydroform pipe (Pipe and ECU installed 12 months ago..TPS was also reset after the install) Never had any issues.

Any help, advice, guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

/Amer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM

New Site Garage
The same thing happens to me occasionally (2010 1090RR 5K miles) but only after I stall at a green light with a warm engine. I think putting it back to neutral helps but most of the time I have to push it out of the way under the honking of cagers and after 3-4 tries it restarts with a zeroed out trip meter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that Pierre....Have you by chance spoken to Munroe Motors? I'm hoping this is a simple fix as it's a pain to take it there from where I live but will if I have to.

Btw....Good to hear from you...Last we met was when Alvin organized the ride to HMB for lunch a few yrs ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Had the same issue. Haven't had it since I went through all the battery-relay-starter-earth connections with dielectric grease. There was a noticeable increase in cranking speed after the greasing.
People commonly blame a dud battery, but mine was fitted with a Yuasa from new.
I have not read of this happening with F4's, it appears to be a Brutie only issue. Quite interesting, as the basic components are the same...
If it happens again my next testing will be looking at the battery cable sizes, earthing area and the voltage drop across the relay when it is hot. One of my buddies with a Moto Guzzi fixed a similar issue by changing the engine earth to a larger bolt connection.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM

When you find out what it is let me know,i HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS FOR MONTHS.My bike has done this for months.And yes my speedo resets also
cheers eddy
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM

Just saw your video exactly the same issue,please what ever you do let me know what the hell it is.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM

I am just wondering if the race ecu might be causing this issue,?,I will put my old ecu back in and do a test ,will get back to you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Sure try it as it won't hurt....But it does seem like an evolving common issue but you never know.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Eddy et al,

If I don't get help here then I will most likely take it to the dealer to see what can be done. I will let you know the outcome. But hopefully others with similar issues and a fix can chime in.

I know you have a 1078 but one dealer mentioned that some 990R's were fitted with older style relays, but MV released a newer version to address some problems. No part #'s were mentioned and again they would need to see the bike to diagnose.

My 990R is one of earlier 2010 series so it "could" be the issue. Could also apply to the 1090's, possibly the 1078 but not really sure.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Keep in touch .would really like to know what part is causing this issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode