Surging/Corse/Titanium/Arrow Carbon Content! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Surging/Corse/Titanium/Arrow Carbon Content!

Hello. I wanted to share some developments concerning my new to me ’08 Brutale 910S (Euro 3) I have been scouring all related post and need some advice.

My bike has a surging issue between 6K-7K rpms while trying to cruise on the freeway. I know it’s a known issue with our bikes and is one of its “character flaws.” I have taken the bike to my local dealer and they made a few adjustments (TPS and throttle sync) which did not solve the issue. Further testing determined the bike is running lean at these RPMs. They claim not much else can be done.

Bike has just over 8K pampered miles and the only engine mods are slip on Arrow carbon cans. From my research just adding the cans did not require any software upgrades. I have the opportunity to buy a brand new full MV Corse titanium exhaust w/ race ECU at half price! They told me dumping the Arrows and replacing the entire system should take care of the surging. Aside from getting a really nice OEM exhaust system, I would really like the bike to run smoothly on the freeway. I think the OEM cans are gorgeous but I do prefer the look of the carbon Arrows. Choices!

The second option offered (and the one I actually thought off too) was to get Arrow pre- Euro 3 headers and Euro 3 mid pipe (to drop the anchor) and retain my nice Arrow cans. Any surging issues then can be resolved by getting a Power Commander and dyno tuning. The cost of both recommended fixes are about the same. I put a deposit on the Corse system until I can decide which way to go.

So now, I know some of you may have a 3rd option. (Keeping the bike above 7K rpm on the freeway is not an option I want to use frequently!) It seems there are several fixes for the surging but I’m confused which work for which model year etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

88 BMW M5 (Dinan Stroker -Euro Conversion)
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
2016 Range Rover SVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 AM

I have the Arrow setup on my Euro3 910R : headers, decat mid and ti twin cans. Microtec was the answer to my surging and throttle issues.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick de V View Post
I have the Arrow setup on my Euro3 910R : headers, decat mid and ti twin cans. Microtec was the answer to my surging and throttle issues.
Thanks! Yes Microtech was one of the companies I found to have a fix. Was your fix to just purchase the software/hardware and have someone tune it? Was is it a pug and play fix? Thanks

Looks like Microtech is giving the ECU for free?
http://motocorseperformance.com/nopc...and-d16rr.aspx

2016 Range Rover SVR

Last edited by M5zealot; 04-29-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: adding link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 AM

It would have been plug and play had I been technically literate in those things. Also I'm all Mac at home and the Microtec software runs with PC only (as far s I know). It took a while to sort out the mapping but all came good in the end when the guru himself (Chris from XBikes) visited Australia and mapped the thing himself.

Best to contact him directly as he may have suitable standard maps to ship with the gizmo.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM

New Site Garage
M5zealot,

Microtech from Chris at XBikes. Just make sure your tuner (if you need one) is willing to talk to Chris first.

Cheers

Deano
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5zealot View Post

Chris (X81) has been very generous with his time.......

but i don't think he is giving MicroTecs away

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM

Highly recommend Microtec and Chris at X-Bikes !!

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5zealot View Post
Thanks! Yes Microtech was one of the companies I found to have a fix. Was your fix to just purchase the software/hardware and have someone tune it? Was is it a pug and play fix? Thanks

If you click on the link, the page show the ECU cost $0.00!

2016 Range Rover SVR
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 AM

New Site Garage
Then get one for free.... hahaha.
You're looking in the wrong place mate. Look in the Market Place section here on the forum.
And for what it's worth, the surging is not a character flaw, my 910 had no such issues, neither my 1000R.

You might be able to tune it out with a PC, or you might not.

I would keep those lovely tailpipes and get a decent mid-pipe and headers, ride the bike, and then decide where to go next.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks guys, I found the sticky for Chris x81. I have to admit a lot of this stuff is foreign to me. (I also don't have Windows machines - Mac family here) After working on my 95 Ducati for years, plugging a bike into a laptop to fix it is all new to me! If I needed to make the engine run rich, I just re-jetted or turned a screw.

So from these recommendations I take it you think I should keep the exhaust I have and fix my issue w/ just a Microtech ECU upgrade right? Getting the MV Corse Titanium system w/ dedicated ECU is a waste of my $$$$?? Any thoughts on this option? (This option may cost much less time and money since I will be installing the system myself minus the ECU tunning. Thanks for all you patience...

2016 Range Rover SVR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode