910R Brutale - front brakes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

910R Brutale - front brakes

Well, here's the story:
I've bought my Brutale last year in november and during the winter I've done some maintenance stuff so she can be ready for the start of this season and to check all those "weaknesses". Among other things, I found that the front wheel bearings were busted and, having the wheel off, I've noticed something interesting: front brake discs are not a pair, although they seem to be.
On the left says MIN.TH.4,0 mm and on the right MIN.TH.4,5 mm.
I've measured the discs and now they are: left aprox. 4,3mm and right aprox. 4,8mm. Searching through the service manuals, it says that 910R Brutale has 4,0mm discs fitted as standard and 312R has 4,5mm discs as standard and both bikes seems to have same brake calipers.
So, my questions are:
1) The brake calipers on the 910R Brutale can work with any of the above brake discs size ?
2) How will those different size brake discs affect the braking on short term ?

What do you think?

Laur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Laur;
i wouldn't worry about it......since they obviously aren't worried about Brutale discs being 0.5 mm thinner when worn out

F4 riders take note

you can wear your discs down to 4.0 mm before replacing them

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 PM

New Site Garage
Yeah they only crack at about 3.8mm

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

So what are you saying is that it doesn't matter that one disc is thicker than the other? Will have no negative effect on front braking?

Laur.

Last edited by Laurtm1; 04-24-2013 at 01:09 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurtm1 View Post
So what are you saying is that it doesn't matter that one disc is thicker than the other? Will have no negative effect on front braking?

Laur.
No problem Laur, the calipers don't know what they're squezing.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

I was worried about those discs and almost bought another set but didn't know if the 4,5mm ones were ok.
Now I can relax and enjoy riding it.
Thank you guys!

laur.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The thicker discs can take more heat....the F4 is designed to have higher top speed than the Brutale. Thicker disc also adds weight. Other than that, like Donsey said, calipers don't care. Braking power will be equivelant. Sounds like someone damaged one disc on your bike and got a replacement that didn't match.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess something like that happend and, because the 910R Brutale discs are not easy to find, he replaced it with one that looks like it but was not aware of the differences in discs thickness.
Does this means that a disc from 312R with MIN.TH. 4,5mm ca be worn till 4,0mm thick without any worries of breaking it ?

Laur.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Yeah they only crack at about 3.8mm
well, the Brembo warning was at 4.0 mm on Brutale discs, 4.5 mm on F4 discs so what was the problem?
could it be that you went 0.7 mm under the limit? you tell me

we raced 5,000km in a day, in endurance racing, rotors went over 2 years......

oops, they were iron rotors, not street, sintered stainless POS

oh, yes we didn't use flexy Brembo calipers or pads either

just Lockheeds with racing metallic pads that were obviously full of a brass (?) alloy

the discs were always perfectly flat and shiny.....
just like on serious race cars......unlike the Brembos on my BMW GS

Donsy, go measure the line pressure in a hard stop......i did ~300PSI....on my Aprilia (as close as i could measure it while doing a hard stop)

cars run 1,000 PSI......think about it.....you have no tire contact patch area in comparison to cars

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm bringing this thread up cause I need your knowledge again regarding my front brakes.
The front brake line fittings of my Brutale were realy rusty so I tried to clean them and give them that shiny look again. It worked but for a short period of time, now the rust has come back.
I've found some nice looking brake lines for sale but they are off from a 989 Brutale and I don't know if they will fit on my 910R calipers. The caliper end fittings looks the same like on 910R but I'm not sure if it's the right angle or the right length.
If anyone knows this details please let me know, so I can give her back some of the old brilliance.

Cheers,
Laur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode