possible new brutale owner - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

possible new brutale owner

hey everyone i just registered here. ive been looking into buying a used brutale 750. its a 2004 with 6000 miles on it. it has some after market stuff done to it like exhaust, chip, seats, and some other minor stuff. it was dropped but there is very very minor damage. the seller is asking 5000. any opinions? thoughts? things i should know? oh yea this would be my first motorcycle.
thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Established Member

That seems a little high even with the extras. I got my 750 a couple of months ago. Standard but with just 900 miles and just under 5k.

Do get one though and enjoy - a great bike! :-)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Established Member

Might I inquire, 5000 what? Dollars, Euros, Pounds? Where are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

dollars. sorry i havent updated my info yet.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

so would 4000 seem like a fair offer?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Established Member

$5000 US for a 6000 mile 2004 750 might be OK if it is in excellent condition. Not sure how many 750 Brutales were sold in the US - you see 910's for sale much more frequently. You say minor damage - that can be expensive to repair if it's scuffed engine cases, gas tank, etc., so take that into consideration (easy enough to get replacement part pricing and use that for negotiation). Look for obvious signs of abuse, seeping oil or coolant, dry chain, worn sprockets and see if maintenance records are available. No harm in making an offer, you may be pleasantly surprised (worst thing the seller can say is no, maybe you'll end up in the middle). Most MV buyers take very good care of their machines. Ask the right questions and use common sense when looking the bike over. Look over the forum a bit - it may lead you to ask about specific issues. If you can snag a test ride all the better. BTW, sorry I missed the Pennsylvania location on your profile. I lived in Carlisle many years ago (late sixties). It sure can snow there - I remember digging snow tunnels through our front yard...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Thumbs up

Scoring a MVA as your first bike would be great!! I first thought about buying THE legend 36 years ago - finally got one!!

BTW, welcome to the MVA forums.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
$5000 US for a 6000 mile 2004 750 might be OK if it is in excellent condition. Not sure how many 750 Brutales were sold in the US - you see 910's for sale much more frequently. You say minor damage - that can be expensive to repair if it's scuffed engine cases, gas tank, etc., so take that into consideration (easy enough to get replacement part pricing and use that for negotiation). Look for obvious signs of abuse, seeping oil or coolant, dry chain, worn sprockets and see if maintenance records are available. No harm in making an offer, you may be pleasantly surprised (worst thing the seller can say is no, maybe you'll end up in the middle). Most MV buyers take very good care of their machines. Ask the right questions and use common sense when looking the bike over. Look over the forum a bit - it may lead you to ask about specific issues. If you can snag a test ride all the better. BTW, sorry I missed the Pennsylvania location on your profile. I lived in Carlisle many years ago (late sixties). It sure can snow there - I remember digging snow tunnels through our front yard...
oh yea im in west chester about 2 hours from carlisle. a good friend of mine goes to school up there. luckily there hasnt been much snow here the past few years. theres a chip on the gas tank and a little rub mark by the seat. other then that the bike is really clean and well maintained.

Last edited by jeepdude90; 04-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM

HEY! I'm in Malvern PA. Message me when you get it. We'll go for a ride together. We'll have our own little Brutale parade.

I think that's a great deal, as long as it's just very minor nicks and scratches. Things that you can live with and not have to spend extra money to fix. If you don't think it's a deal, I challenge anyone to try and find a decent 750 for less. You may not think it's worth $5000 US, but pretty impossible to actually buy one for less.

As for this being your first bike, kind of makes me nervous. Not the power, just the likelihood of brainfarts. It'll be a painful day if/when you tip it over just cause you weren't thinking.

Brutale 750
Ducati 696
BMW R75/6
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Established Member

When I was in search of my first Brutale I almost bought a perfect 750 for 4500 with 1600 miles. I'd offer the guy 4k. He knows it's not worth five. To own such a piece of art for 4 grand is outstanding, but as mentioned by everyone else look at it first. My rear hub went at 6500 miles. May be the reason he is selling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode