1090R First ride - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

1090R First ride

It has finally happened.
Yesterday was the first day i took my new 1090R out for a decent ride.

I can start by saying it exceeded all my expectations.
Now i understand what the feeling must be if you ditch your Porsche 911 Carrera 4 for a Ferrari 458 Italia.
Overal that's the feeling this bike gave me after a good 120 km's ride.

The day didn't start as planned. I would go to a good friend of mine so we could make our first ride with our brand new bikes. Good company as he has to break in his Panigale Tricolore too! Instead he had to ride to my place because the 1090R had no intentions to start. Battery flatlined. So we had to make a push start. Not an easy thing on the Brute but after 4 attempts it came alive and off we were.

The seat position is spot on. Everything matches and it is very comfy. Didn't expect this and i can tell that i can ride this bike all day without being sore or exhausted. The new dashboard screen is also a big surprise. It deflects the wind superbly till about 160 km/h. Big surprises for me, and not the last of the day.

The brakes were not good from the start because they gave me a feeling like they were too hard for the discs. Genuine feeling from a brand new bike but something i never experienced with my Ducs in the past. After a good 30 km's they began to 'bite' the discs. So you just have to be carefull in the beginning. Now they work fine and build up stopping power on a progressive way. Nice.

The steering is light, very quick and very stable at all speeds. Holding the brake till the apex of a turn makes the front dig itself in the tarmac and holds every line you have in mind. And it loves to do so. The more aggressive, the more the bike's comes to its purpose. The suspension is getting harder the more you make the bike work. A dream for the open roads, maybe a bit soft for the track but i will find that out later this year. The roads and temperatures were not on that level for much leaning angel but yet i had fun, lots of fun!

And then there's the engine....
What can i say about it you allready don't know? After 17 years riding 2-cilinder bikes (with an occasional ride on L4's and V4's) i really had to recalculate myself. I wasn't expecting this. The throttle is so direct. The way this thing revs is hard to imagine at first. I made the mistake of trying to change gears even after i had hit sixth!
Every gear change gives you the same amount of power. Riding in 6th trough town and moving the throttle almost gives the same feeling as if you do it in 4th. The power is everywhere, from low to midrange level (breaking in so never above 5-6000 rpm). Changing gears at those figures is like punishing the engine every single time. It allways wants to go faster, higher up the rev scale and you feel at those rpm's it wants to be unleashed till the rev limiter. And what about that sound? I love it. At every rpm it sounds and feels aggressive, raw, pure and powerful!
Sorry for the die-hard Duc fans but next to this a Testastretta feels lame! This is really something special. I had short rides on previous MV models and never noticed this because the rides were too short.

The look of the bike is also stunning in real life once its outside the dealers showroom or your garage. Everywhere we stopped people came around the bikes and had a very long look at them. Standing next to the Panigale Tricolore from my friend i had lots of questions like .... Is that a new Brutale? Have they changed something? I never saw one like that before? Everybody is attracted at that Tricolore and then they see the Brutale next too it and you see them thinking: what the hell is this? Nice....

Do i have something negative to tell about the bike?
Unfortunatly yes. But a very small one.
The new heat shield on the right hand side still pushes your foot even further of the foot peg. But once you know you don't mind.

So am i happy? You bet!!!!
This can only get better after the break-in period. I think i will be around here for quite some time!

Greets!
Attached Images

Guy

2013 Brutale 1090R

Last edited by iBike; 04-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 AM

Nice write up on your impressions. Looks a real beauty. Stay safe.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Glad you are enjoying yourself and finally riding. Mine already have 2000km on the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Congrats, it's a great feeling when the promises of the purchase come true. I feel the same way about my Brute.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Glad you finally got to ride her. Nice write up. You just wait until the tarmac is warm and she is run in . Totally different animal .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

That's what I wanted to hear .

Did not take my bella out yet - max temperature today was 4c or 39F . Freezing at night.

Guy - you made me nervous .

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

... And you have every reason to be, Cherche

Guy

2013 Brutale 1090R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM

New Site Garage
Awesome review! I ride with a lot of people who've never ridden an MV and who have no freaking clue how good and fun these machines are in addition to being stunning to look at. I feel a bit sorry for them but no that much, I hope one day they'll see the light...
And wait until this thing is broken in and you can discover what's beyond 6,000rpm when you open up, completely bonkers and truly orgasmic if you have the ability to do that in a tunnel! One piece of advice is that if you have a good supension tuner nearby, spend the cash to get this dialed in to your weight ASAP, it'll get even better.

PS: Love the silver and red color scheme! Same as my previous Brutale.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM

I already have the Corse race kit lying in my garage. Will install it after 1000 km and first service .

I motori sono come le donne, bisogna saperli toccare nelle parti piu' sensibili.......
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2018 Brutale 800RR
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Would like to hear your feedback on the mileage. I am gradually getting better mileage with every fuel tank. Now averaging 230km when the light comes on. circa 16 to 17 liters can go in. Have fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode