Have I Understood The 1090 Correctly? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
72s

Have I Understood The 1090 Correctly?

Hi all, apologies for the newb questions, the nearest major MV dealer that I know of is a good few hours away so I've been reading up on the forum before planning a visit.

I'm looking at the 2013 1090 as my summer commuter, I ride 90 miles every day come rain, sun or (atm) snow. Mainly fast dual carriageway with some twisty sections and a block of fast filtering/splitting. I've got a tourer for winter/rain, my dream bike for "special occasions" and now need something for everything in between

It sounds like the Brutale is exotic, fast, grunty, comfortable and so hits most of the marks.

-Fuel mileage of 170 miles seems easily doable, perhaps 190 before dry?
-How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to.
-Is ABS really available? - I've seen no bike/prices/real details other than the initial announcement.
-What are the service intervals ? I'm assuming 5-6k miles from what I've read which would mean a dealer visit every couple of months in summer.
-Looks like the bike isnt too loud stock - I love to hear the pipe on the move but 6am starts with a loud can make you very unpopular!
-Finally, is there any real difference between a base model and an R ? I know that the RR has the difft engine but the R only seems to have cosmetics (led brake lights and integrated mirror/indicators) over the R.

I've got my eye on a white 2013 base model and I'm not a million miles from XBikes so a tune up would be in order immediately after running in.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72s View Post
Hi all, apologies for the newb questions, the nearest major MV dealer that I know of is a good few hours away so I've been reading up on the forum before planning a visit.

I'm looking at the 2013 1090 as my summer commuter, I ride 90 miles every day come rain, sun or (atm) snow. Mainly fast dual carriageway with some twisty sections and a block of fast filtering/splitting. I've got a tourer for winter/rain, my dream bike for "special occasions" and now need something for everything in between

It sounds like the Brutale is exotic, fast, grunty, comfortable and so hits most of the marks.

-Fuel mileage of 170 miles seems easily doable, perhaps 190 before dry?
-How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to.
-Is ABS really available? - I've seen no bike/prices/real details other than the initial announcement.
-What are the service intervals ? I'm assuming 5-6k miles from what I've read which would mean a dealer visit every couple of months in summer.
-Looks like the bike isnt too loud stock - I love to hear the pipe on the move but 6am starts with a loud can make you very unpopular!
-Finally, is there any real difference between a base model and an R ? I know that the RR has the difft engine but the R only seems to have cosmetics (led brake lights and integrated mirror/indicators) over the R.

I've got my eye on a white 2013 base model and I'm not a million miles from XBikes so a tune up would be in order immediately after running in.

thanks!
Welcome to the forum mate. I do hope you get one, these guys site is very well laid out and easy to go through - http://www.mvagustaimports.com.au/

As for your questions.
1. I don't see the point in buying a high performance machine and then worrying about fuel consumption, but I know some do and they might come along and comment shortly. Not too many 2013's doing a lot of mileage on the forum as yet.
2.Chris from X-Bikes can help with the Microtec, give him a Ring.
3.Yes ABS is out there.
4. Close enough on the service intervals
5. It's legal.
6. No, on the Brutale they all use the same motor, only on the F4's are they different. The base model is just de-tuned I believe.

You will note that there are various other difference's, like more sedate brakes, other wheels, less adjustment on the suspension ...etc

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 AM

72s
Welcome, I don't own a 1090, have ridden lots of Brutales mind incl 1078. So my thoughts.
As for fuel tank range of 190 miles, no chance even if you ride like your gran is pillion. Brutales drink fuel, our 910 used to get around 90 miles from full to light on, bit better now but more like 130 to dry.

Chris knows his stuff and will sort you a microtec but I would hold back a bit until you get some good miles on the bike and see why you feel the need for one. If you want more noise yes that's available, but get a full system and ditch the cat then go for a microtec. Keep the original set up for MOT time.

As for base and R etc, Donsy summed it up well, the spec is in the detail.

Good luck and report back when you get aboard.

jimboF4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 AM

300km out of a 1090, no problems,you will get that easy from full to empty,dyno tune the damn thing,how do i know ,we have one brutale 1090 rr

cheers eddy
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
72s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
1. I don't see the point in buying a high performance machine and then worrying about fuel consumption, but I know some do and they might come along and comment shortly.
Thanks for the comments Donsy. Apologies I should have been clearer, tank range concern is more about convenience than cost - I agree with your point, I'm sure the 1090 will eat tyres when pushed hard as well so it wont be the budget choice.

From what I've read about a Tuono for example I would be lucky to make a single round trip without having to fill up in the way. I hoped the large tank on the 1090 might just stretch to 1.5 or 2 round trips (about 180miles).

Thanks
Andy
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 AM

New Site Garage
If its going to be a pure commuter, perhaps the 990 might be a better alternative? - it's still an awesome bike, but perhaps not as mental (IMO)

...but welcome anyway, you'll love whichever one you choose.

cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Hi Andy
Not got a 1090,would of liked one but they were too much dosh . I've got a 2011 Brutale 920 . Great bike, rode it to Italy last year, superb apart from a hard seat after 4 days . On a long motorway run at about 75-80 mph I get just about 180 miles to a tank . How magazines reckon you get 200 out of a tank god knows . Service interval is about every 3600 miles . I've fitted MV Corse cans and they are slightly louder than stock .Done just under 5k miles so far and love it . No dealer near me either . I drove 5 hours upto Robinsons in Rochdale to buy mine .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM

Exclamation

Before I decided to place my deposit on the MVA 1090 base, I was tempted to buy a Monster, but the small fuel tank on the Ducati made the 1090 an easy choice. Anyway, the MVA logo on the tank is the stuff of dreams!!

Last edited by MVA Knight; 03-24-2013 at 06:54 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Established Member

72s,
I would love to give you any advice on the 2013 1090R as i have mine in the garage from the first week of january.
Crappy weather and snow (again ) have prevented me from doing any miles on it.

Looking in the garage however gives me the smile any day!

Have had 2 bikes on the shortlist. (ugly) Tuono V4 and the (beauty) Brutie.
Couldn't be more pleased by my choice and i even haven't ridden it yet ....

Guy

2013 Brutale 1090R
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM

"How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to"

I have a Mar 2011 1090RR with Microtec - I get about 170 km - sometimes more, sometimes less, depending how I ride.

And it rides like a weapon !

Ride safe and take care.

GETEC - Glenn
Vivere il sogno !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode