1000km service 990r Anniversary Edition - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Question 1000km service 990r Anniversary Edition

My Brut is going in for it's first service in a few days, I have a few of questions to the wise ones out there plz.
1. I have told the shop it takes 10w/60 as in the manual specs. Not sure I trust them to comply and if by chance they use a lighter grade should I demand it to be replaced. pretty hot here right now, not sure if that makes a difference.
2. As it is new but a 2010ish model, should I ask them to look for software updates for it. I don't even know if that's possible, maybe I'd need a Powercommander fitted for that. Totally ignorant here so any advice welcome.
3. Any thing else I should mention from your collective past experience.

Thanks
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Established Member

A few pointers

Hi Jon, as one who believes 'the customer is king' you have every right to specify what you want done to the bike, and every right to expect to pay for what you order.

One item you mentioned, trust, does give me concern. Trust is a two way street. If you have some concerns that you are paying for a service and you harbor a feeling that you may be cheated, I encourage you to discuss your concerns with a senior manager at the service shop before scheduling the work. The shop will want satisfied customers, and you should be able to walk out of the shop completely satisfied. Ask if they can provide you with a copy of the service checklist for your records. Most are only too happy to oblige.

Being a well informed consumer is the best approach. I will assume you have the printed maintenance manual that MV provided with your bike. Chapter 1.2 displays a maintenance schedule, line by line, for every item to be serviced. Before taking the bike in for service, I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the published schedule, as well as locating the references to the oil grades MV specifies. Speak to the shop doing the work, well before taking in the bike and ensure they have on hand the obvious consumables, like oil, filters, o-rings, etc. This will eliminate any delays with your bike sitting in a busy shop corner waiting for the parcel delivery guy to come from Italy.

The oil specification is shown on page 15 of the maintenance manual.

If you want a specific brand of oil, and they do not stock that brand, or stock the oil viscosity you are paying for, ask them to order it in advance or ask if you can supply it. A oil change with filter takes a bit less than 4 liters leaving a few cl left over in a 4 liter container. Tell the shop you want the remaining clean oil to 'top up' your bike as required. It's your oil, you paid for the full container.

Kindly note, an oil change is not specified by MV in the 1,000 km service, and you may have to pay extra for the work performed.

Software updates, there are none. There was at least one service bulletin concerning a replacement spring in the gear change quadrant, and an authorized MV dealer will know by VIN number if your bike is included.

And in closing, I'd encourage you to leave the bike stock, no Power Commanders, or electronic gadgets, at least until you have ridden the bike a few thousand km and fully understand the pluses and minuses in modifying a perfectly capable motorcycle.

Ciao,
Dick

Last edited by racasey; 03-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dick thats really helpful. The workshop manual I downloaded for the bike shows an oil change every 6000km after a change at 1000km so i assume thats happening and I have asked them about using 10w/60 so I will make sure its used.
Good advice about leaving it stock as I'm still getting used to it. Got the shocks balanced up today as the front preload wasn't set evenly at the shop.
Also did a gas check on open road and got about 12.2 km per litre so not too bad, only about 10 km commuting. That test was using 91 mixed with 95 petrol as some on this forum say it handles the lower octane fine. I certainly didn't notice any difference in performance or noise.
Refilled with 95 as a little nervous about using the lower octane.
Is there a consensus out there about 91 being safe to use. All the technical stuff goes over my head but others experience is very useful to hear about.
Our gas is expensive $220 a lt for 91, another 10c for 95.
I have tried putting a piece of heat reflecting sheet under my seat to keep my arse from overheating seems to be helping a bit. but damn this bike heats up. Be nice in winter. Considering how open the back end is its amazing how much heat comes up off the pipes and engine and heats up your lower extremities. Reminds me of how my old Buell was.
Hope i don't sound too moaning about it, I still love it to pieces just trying to get my head around its Italian foibles. So much about it is better than the Speed Triple so I'm satisfied.
Cheers
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Established Member

Hi Jon, I went back and rechecked my owner's manual. I was in error when I said there no scheduled oil change at 1,000 km, as MV did clearly indicate a change. I'm claiming poor reading skills, or perhaps, I really was looking out the school house window the day they taught reading. I apologize to you and any others I may have mislead.

Best wishes,
Dick
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 AM

Putoline Nano Tech 4 or Silkoline Pro 4 works well in the 1090.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

No problem, thanks again for the help
Jon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiki View Post
Refilled with 95 as a little nervous about using the lower octane.
Is there a consensus out there about 91 being safe to use. All the technical stuff goes over my head but others experience is very useful to hear about.
Our gas is expensive $220 a lt for 91, another 10c for 95.
95 is the way to go. Don't use 91 unless you have to and NEVER use any fuel with ethanol in it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
95 is the way to go. Don't use 91 unless you have to and NEVER use any fuel with ethanol in it.
Thanks for the input?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Aiki, using fuel with a higher octane rating than specified for your engine is a waste of money. You can range around in octane, but if you r engine starts to ping, you should go back to the original octane. Ethanol has a history of reacting with the plastic fuel tanks and causing them to swell, and some say it will interact with other engine rubber and plastic and cause problems as well. In the US, we have little choice. I have three bike with acerbis plastic tanks and all have been affected by the ethanol...no running issues yet. I do use an ethanol treatment in all of my gas.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Aiki, using fuel with a higher octane rating than specified for your engine is a waste of money. You can range around in octane, but if you r engine starts to ping, you should go back to the original octane. Ethanol has a history of reacting with the plastic fuel tanks and causing them to swell, and some say it will interact with other engine rubber and plastic and cause problems as well. In the US, we have little choice. I have three bike with acerbis plastic tanks and all have been affected by the ethanol...no running issues yet. I do use an ethanol treatment in all of my gas.
Thanks, I think the recommended rating is 95 for the Brut. We have in NZ 91, 95 & one company has 98 in some stations. Not so much ethanol mix yet but they are talking about getting more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode