1090 and 1090r seat question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

1090 and 1090r seat question

Hey there
I am thinking of buying a new brutale. I test rode the rr yesterday and was really impressed. Now I know the brutale isn't a touring two up bike but the 1090 and 1090r seem to have a better pillion seat. Can anyone give me feedback on pillion comfort on these 2 models?

I do a bit of 2 up stuff, 500klms a day with my wife who is an experienced pillion. I think the RR would be asking a bit too much from her! But she understands the balance between owning a nice sports bike and sacrificing a bit of comfort. I would be willing to sacrifice the better specs of the rr for an r or 1090 if it meant she was happier on the back for distances.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Established Member

the 1090 and R do look a lot more comfortable. My missus has been on my RR once and it was pretty uncomfortable apparently. seat was hard and small and she didnt really fit on it and she isnt a big girl.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Established Member

I own a 2013 1090R.
Due to bad weather i haven't had the chance to ride it.
But being on the seat for several times and seeing my R next to it's RR brother in the showroom i am sure of the comfort of the R. The RR's pillion seat is more flat and allot thinner. The R's seat is made in 1 piece and is sculptured the way the comfort for the rider is very good.
There is also a bump which, i think, makes comfort for the passenger much better then the RR. It separates the passanger a bit from the rider and makes them not sliding forwards all the time. The R's seat is also a more rough structure then the RR's which makes sliding over it less possible.
Beware of the fact that the standard 1090's seat is the same as the R's but with a different fabric. Also more slippier.
I would definitly choose the 1090 or 1090R for 2-up riding!

Inform yourself if the 1090R is available. I know the R isn't going to the US. Only the 1090cc and 1090RR will be available there.

Greets

Guy

2013 Brutale 1090R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

As far as I know there won't be any 2013 R coming to Australia, just 1090 and rr. There's a couple of 2012 R around, trying to find a local one to test ride with my wife.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Established Member

vjc...my wife will only gets on once in a great wild for very short rides as the seat and riding position is uncomfortable and tight. she sits at 5'6". only reason she goes for those short stints is coz she misses the addrediline rush!!

Frank
2010 MV 1090 Brutale
2012 HD CVO Ultra
2000 HD Ultra (Sold)
2005 MV F4 (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM

I'm thinking of going the other way -- putting a 1090RR dual seat on a 1090r. I always ride solo and like the single seat look.

From looking at the parts manual it looks like its just reclocating the locking mechanism and buying a few small parts -- and the seat and rear cowl. Anyone else done that?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Established Member

Indeed, that's what i'm planning to do also.
Just not decided if i'm going to get a passenger seat or a cover....

Guy

2013 Brutale 1090R
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Established Member

Yeah I was thinking the same today evening when was I was challenged trying to put the single seat back on my 2012 1090R model - huge hassle - kept bending the plastics inserts which lock in the metal frame. What's the trick to getting the seat on right the first time?

Also considering a split seat mechanism if possible. Lets me know if anyone has successfully done the conversation. Like to hear your feedback and also all the parts /time and effort required.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanman View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same today evening when was I was challenged trying to put the single seat back on my 2012 1090R model - huge hassle - kept bending the plastics inserts which lock in the metal frame. What's the trick to getting the seat on right the first time?
I tend to bend the seat a bit, get the front lined up, then push down and forward. Usually gets it clicked in, but it's definitely not the most user friendly setup. There are also a lot more cover options for the split seats than the one piece.

Can't say anything on the 2-up comfort since the wife won't even sit my motorcycles. Maybe hop yourself up on the pillion and sit there an hour or so jiggling a bit, see how it goes

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to psycho16161
My girl loves my Brute after I did a couple of mods, pegs & pillion seat are very slippery so I put Rizoma B Pro pegs on & Triboseat seat cover, only cost $25, its a rubbery mesh cover easily installed & removed, she realizes it aint a tourer but she can still walk after 250 kilometres so it can't be that bad. She's 5'6", 50 kg's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode