2012 Brutale 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

2012 Brutale 1090RR

I looked at a new 2012 Brutale RR today and wanted to introduce myself and get some info on the beast. I had a 2002 F4 and really enjoyed it. The main question I have about the bike has to do with its ability on longer rides. I live in the Pacific Northwest where there are some amazing roads that can be accessed very easily
I am also considering a BMW K1300s but it doesn't have the same thrill factor as the MV, the reality is I have to force myself to want it, so that is not a good way to start.
My riding varies from what I know the Brutale will do well to sport touring and that's the aspect I need advice on. Does anyone have suggestions for luggage that would work, tips about the comfort after 400 miles. It looks like it has a respectable size tank - what is the range? I recall the original 750 Brutales were terrible on the mpg especially when compared to my F4 that could go over 40MPG and they had a smaller tank making the range around 100 miles. For me anything over 200 is acceptable. My average riding is usually around the 5K mile/year range but I expect that with a K it may extend and hopefully the MV wouldn't be so brutal that long weekend rides could extend to longer multiday adventures.
My head says go for the K but my heart says nah!!!go for the MV...

small piece of trivia - I used to own the domain mvagusta.net

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:54 AM

Cant comment on touring, but i can ride my 2011 1090RR all day 500k easy and tank range is 240K until light comes on and then 6ltr left in tank so approx range 320-330k. Awesome machine!!

James
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Have you ridden them both? Which do you prefer? I ride my 910 through the hills on 4-5 hour rides, stopping every 100 miles for fuel of course.
Haven't done many freeway rides other than just around Portland to know the cruising range.
I love mine, it does everything I wanted it to. If I were to add bikes to my garage it would be the F4 and then the Rivale, I'm hooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Very comfortable all day, don't worry about arse, arm or leg ache, just a bit o strain on the old neck when you open the taps

Buggerlugs....Disturbing the peace since 1963
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm not much of a super slab rider, when I go places its usually via two lane roads.
The big picture of where I am at, and what I am shooting for is this. My main rides for the last quarter century + have been Laverdas. I have an RGS that I bought new that has been my main sport tourer for 28 years and its getting tired. I have a Jota that can be my "fun" bike or I could ride it for long weekend rides BUT every once in a while I get the urge to have something "modern" mostly its a temporary phase that has included various BMWs, an 750 F4s and a Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans - it only lasted 7 months since it couldn't keep up with the Jota in any comparison except brakes.
My intent is to take the RGS out of the long distance bike category and the BMW K1300s seems like a good replacement and as stated earlier has not really flipped the excitement switch. The reality is I have other bikes that could be ridden to provide that excitement factor. I sold my 750 because the Jota was usually picked for riding over it. I can say I've never had a bike that handled any where near as well as the 750F4 which was ridden and sold without taking a huge hit and the thought of getting a 1000 was always in the back of my mind. So the quandary I have is that the 1090RR is not a replacement for the RGS and is not comparable to the K1300s BUT it does have that excitement factor that the K is missing. I haven't had dealer support for the Laverdas since 1986 so that has never been an issue - I hear rumors that my local dealer will not be supporting MV - and I can live with that. The only obvious solution is to get 2 bikes but that would just create a storage problem.
Bottom line is that I am just trying to justify the 1090 over the K and from what I hear it could be pushed to fit the bill so it remains a brain v heart issue...

I appreciate all the responses so far

Bill
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
I'm not much of a super slab rider, when I go places its usually via two lane roads.
The big picture of where I am at, and what I am shooting for is this. My main rides for the last quarter century + have been Laverdas. I have an RGS that I bought new that has been my main sport tourer for 28 years and its getting tired. I have a Jota that can be my "fun" bike or I could ride it for long weekend rides BUT every once in a while I get the urge to have something "modern" mostly its a temporary phase that has included various BMWs, an 750 F4s and a Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans - it only lasted 7 months since it couldn't keep up with the Jota in any comparison except brakes.
My intent is to take the RGS out of the long distance bike category and the BMW K1300s seems like a good replacement and as stated earlier has not really flipped the excitement switch. The reality is I have other bikes that could be ridden to provide that excitement factor. I sold my 750 because the Jota was usually picked for riding over it. I can say I've never had a bike that handled any where near as well as the 750F4 which was ridden and sold without taking a huge hit and the thought of getting a 1000 was always in the back of my mind. So the quandary I have is that the 1090RR is not a replacement for the RGS and is not comparable to the K1300s BUT it does have that excitement factor that the K is missing. I haven't had dealer support for the Laverdas since 1986 so that has never been an issue - I hear rumors that my local dealer will not be supporting MV - and I can live with that. The only obvious solution is to get 2 bikes but that would just create a storage problem.
Bottom line is that I am just trying to justify the 1090 over the K and from what I hear it could be pushed to fit the bill so it remains a brain v heart issue...

I appreciate all the responses so far

Bill
Flip a coin. Heads MV Tails BMW. Done.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Whilst the 1090 is much softer than its predecessors its hardly designed for long rides apart from the 5 gallon petrol tank, its not designed for luggage or sport touring it will however make you smile when you ride it.....

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz3boy View Post
Have you ridden them both? Which do you prefer?
Not yet but I will see what I can do about that this week
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Established Member

I have no dramas doing 600ks a day on mine. Sometimes a gel seat would be nice. luggage is kind of an issue. I use an expandable tailpack for overnight trips and that holds just enough stuff.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Established Member

I've clocked up 10500 kms in 11 months with my brute, 700ks in a day no problem, as far as luggage goes swag or bag easily fits on rear seat. I replaced two of my underseat factory fixings with two swingarm spools, which enables straps to be used for tieing down gear. Average about 230 ks per tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode