Wont start - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Wont start

G'Day,

Came out of work yesterday and my 2009 1078 wouldn't start. had run perfectly on the way to work. Thought it may have been moisture under the cover as it had rained during the afternoon. Turned over fine until the battery ran down.

Got it home this morning and began the investigation. Fresh battery (spare). Checked the plugs were sparking which they seemed to be. Sprayed fuel down the intakes and it immediately fired on the two plugs connected. So I'm thinking fuel. Broke the black tank connector when taking the tank off so need to replace this before I hook the fuel back up.

Where do I start to look? Checked the fuse in the box and it looks good. Will replace or test it later to make sure. Running a Microtech from Chris if it's relevant. Help!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 AM

Dean,
Check the hoses in the fuel tank. Same thing happend to me.

Open the fuel filler cap and look inside as you turn the ignition on. If you see waves/bubbles, you have probably lost a hose off the fuel filter.

This will require the fuel pump to be removed from the tank and the hose reconnected, i put a clamp on mine so it wouldn't happen again.

Download the manual from Donsy's site to assist you but it's not that hard.

Let us know how you get on.

George
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by george4337 View Post
Dean,
Check the hoses in the fuel tank. Same thing happend to me.

Open the fuel filler cap and look inside as you turn the ignition on. If you see waves/bubbles, you have probably lost a hose off the fuel filter.

This will require the fuel pump to be removed from the tank and the hose reconnected, i put a clamp on mine so it wouldn't happen again.

Download the manual from Donsy's site to assist you but it's not that hard.

Let us know how you get on

George
george4337,

I was just going to post how I can hear the impeller spinning in the tank and a 'running petrol' sound. I think you may be right. When I looked in and turned the ignition on there were waves. Will pull it out shortly. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM

Yep Deano,start there,Get back to use

cheers eddy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
That was the problem

Thanks Gentlemen,

That was definitely the problem. It was the 'u' shaped tube that had come off. Well not really 'u' shaped just a straight tube bent and secured with a stupid clic clamp. No wonder they come off.

Also had to rig a new black fuel line as the male push in part snapped. Took the female part out and used a car union and elbow plus some 10mm fuel hose. Cut the fitting off the other end, clamped it all up and it works a treat. Definitely have to completely drain the tank for removal in future though. Such flimsy crap. So many good ideas on these bikes but sometimes poorly executed.

Anyway it's going. Thanks again!

Cheers

Deano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM

[quote=Deano;588295]Thanks Gentlemen,

Also had to rig a new black fuel line as the male push in part snapped. Took the female part out and used a car union and elbow plus some 10mm fuel hose. Cut the fitting off the other end, clamped it all up and it works a treat.

Love your resourcefulness Dean,
Just be a bit weary, that female part you replaced shut the fuel off when it ewas disconnected from the male part, i think you have negated that when you replaced it.

you can get both parts from the forum member CAG on this forum. Quality pieces at a good price.

Glad it all worked out for you.

George
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
george4437,

Yeah mate I realised that, that's why I said I'll have to fully drain the tank before removal. I have pm'd CAG about fittings. Don't want to put the same crappy ones on again so if he does a better quality set that'll be sweet. Cheers mate.

Deano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode