Race ECU, PCV or both for 1090RR??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Race ECU, PCV or both for 1090RR???

Currently i've got a HP Corse full system on my 2012 RR and running the MV Race ECU but im not entirely happy with how the bike is running. I know the race ECU isnt a great unit (which i was told after buying it) so now im looking at getting a PCV hoping that the bike will feel a little better and if need be get a tune done.

Now, do i totally ditch the race ECU or do i keep it and double up with a PCV? little undecided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The "race" ECU is the same ECU you have with different mapping. I will be having one of these mapped here in the USA this June. Were I you, and I had the cash, I'd start with a Microtec from Chris at X-Bikes. Then I'd schedule some Dyno Time.

Read this: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50743 and maybe wait for a bit. There may be programming very close to what you want soon.

I am not a fan of Power Commanders.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Really don't have $1000+ to just drop on an ecu plus tuning but thanks For the link, I'll have a read and keep updated on it to see what happens.

Some don't like PC's but I've used them on previous bikes with great success, thought I'd try different this time and not too happy with how it feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Established Member

Maybe ask the guys at trooper lus what they recommend. im planning doing pcv on mine soon but would br interested to see what the recommendations are
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 AM

The race ecu is different as it disables the lambda sensor, so you then can dyno tune the first 20 percent of the throttle,in other words you can dyno tune all the way from 0 to 100 percent throttle .If you leave the original ecu in you will not be able to dyno tune that region,and yes you will have to get the pc5 and have it dyno tuned .

cheers eddy

ps:be aware, add the cost up and you might be better going for the Microtec,your call at the end of the day,both give you great results.

Last edited by eddypro; 02-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_RR View Post
Currently i've got a HP Corse full system on my 2012 RR and running the MV Race ECU but im not entirely happy with how the bike is running. I know the race ECU isnt a great unit (which i was told after buying it) so now im looking at getting a PCV hoping that the bike will feel a little better and if need be get a tune done.

Now, do i totally ditch the race ECU or do i keep it and double up with a PCV? little undecided.

What you have to look at is value for money vs results desired.

So you've already bought fitted and are unhappy with the Race ECU, you're now looking at sorting that out so are thinking of a PCV plus dyno time which will be further $$$

The Microtecs aren't cheap i grant you but i know it'll transform your bike. I know that even with a base map supplied by me and possibly needing some dyno time your bike will be the best it has ever been and will only improve further.

Your main issues are not really fuel related, they are ignition related which can only be acccesed via a software hack (not perfected yet to my knowledge) or with a full access ECU (Microtec). A PCV is fuel only and whilst it'll help it's not working in the area that is causing the problems.

Other area's that Microtec allows access to is the traction control maps. Not only the trigger points per gear and RPM but also what each setting from 1-8 delivers.

You can also plug a quick shifter straight in to the bike with no further modification and the ECU will run it etc etc etc.

Like i said not the cehapest unit but price up the cost of getting all of that access and all of those features via other means and it's amazing value for money. Also being based in Sydney i have dyno's centres that i have worked with and know who can handle mapping for you.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
The race ecu is different as it disables the lambda sensor, so you then can dyno tune the first 20 percent of the throttle,in other words you can dyno tune all the way from 0 to 100 percent throttle .If you leave the original ecu in you will not be able to dyno tune that region,and yes you will have to get the pc5 and have it dyno tuned .

cheers eddy

ps:be aware, add the cost up and you might be better going for the Microtec,your call at the end of the day,both give you great results.

Eddy, yes, you can tune that area and switch off the labmda sensor in the stock ECU...it is simply a 5SM or 7Bm or 1.6M unit.

This has been done on my '08 F4 312R

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 AM

I agree,so do we send you the ecu and then get it back,like I have said before the ecu is very similiar to a computer bios,but you need the tools to get inside it ?.you no what I mean.Devil rr is in sydney,Now ,the way I see it mv should realease its software and make the correct leads available so we can totally stuff up our mv's .lol.

I understand it is not rocket science,but unfortunently we are miles away.and there is very little over here.Thats why it would be easier for us just to buy a race ecu,but if you can offer this service at a reasonable price and return rate,that would be great.
cheers eddy
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM

The key comes from the Dyno Tune. If we have identical bikes, in identical atmospheric circumstances wit identical flow rates on our injectors, and identical valve tolerances, then perhaps, a map I have might work well for you.

The difficulty is that no two bikes are the same and what works on my bike may, or may not, work on yours. This is why, when you get a map-in-a-can from DynoJet or someone else, "they" recommend tuning on a Dyno...

I suppose it can be close, I'll leave that hanging for expert comment!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Chuck, I understand what you are saying.but maybe I did not explain myself correctly,if you know of someone who can turn off the Lambda sensor on the stock ecu,that would be great for those people who just want to put a pc5 on there bikes and not pay big dollars for a race ecu,then have it dyno tuned,maybe chris from X bikes has a lot more knowledge on this angle.This is just a thought.as Mapping of the original ecu would be altered by the pc5 and dyno tune,just hypothetical talking here.
cheers eddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode