Ignition issues Bruty 990 R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Ignition issues Bruty 990 R

Hello everyone.

PROFILE:
Brutale 990 R (2011)
expo-model purchased in August 2012 with 1500km from authorised reseller (first matriculation July 2011).
Presently with 3000Km and regularly serviced according to manual. Battery in full recharge every two days.

RECURRENT ISSUES:
1) Every time I try to re-ignite the bike after using it even for a few minutes, it won't ignite again. Only if I wait for at least 5 minutes it will. After almost each failed ignition attempt, all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset. When finally the bike switches on, I smell un-burnt gasoline, like at the fuel station.

2) A few mornings per week, bike would crank for a few seconds before igniting for the first time. If the attempt is unsuccessful, all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset.

EXAMPLES:
1) at the fuel station:
stop bike for fuel, switch bike off, time to go... bike won't switch on again!
I have to push it out of the way and wait the necessary minutes.
2) running errands around the city:
park the bike, switch off the bike... run the errand. If errand takes less then 5 minutes, go back to the bike, bike won't switch on again!

RARE EVENTS (happened only once):
1) in strong acceleration: first gear, second gear, third gear,
bike suffocates and switches off! Park on road side, bike won't switch on again.. for 15 minutes or so.
2) in strong deceleration: fourth gear, third gear, bike coughs, suffocates and switches off! This time I don't stop and while still running I put the second gear, release the clutch... I manage to switch it on again.

Reseller checked the bike at 2500km and said nothing of this happened to him.
Huge frustration... I'm now filming with my mobile and putting everything on a DVD!

Everyone volunteering to help, much appreciated.
Many thanks.
donVito

Last edited by donVitoCorleone; 01-25-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM

New Site Garage
donVitoCorleone,

My 2009 1078 did much the same thing although not to the same extent. Was hard to start after stopping for fuel etc., especially straight away. Cracking the throttle a bit usually worked. Fitted a Microtech from Chris at Xbikes which definitely solved this particular problem. That's an expensive fix but worth every penny. In the meantime open the throttle a bit when you crank it.

Cheers

Deano
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
donVitoCorleone,

My 2009 1078 did much the same thing although not to the same extent. Was hard to start after stopping for fuel etc., especially straight away. Cracking the throttle a bit usually worked. Fitted a Microtech from Chris at Xbikes which definitely solved this particular problem. That's an expensive fix but worth every penny. In the meantime open the throttle a bit when you crank it.

Cheers

Deano
I don't think Don Vito's bike will even crank within this 5-minute period as he is describing it. Probably nothing happens when he presses the starter button so he has to wait for a few minutes. But I agree this could be an ECU-related issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM

New Site Garage
abazhle,

That's what we need to clear up. donVitoCorleone what do you mean by wont reignite or switch on again? Is it totally dead electrically or just hard to start? When you say 'all warning lights in the display go on and all partial measurements in the display get reset' do you mean all the lights and dash displays come on and the tacho needle does the rounds and resets or that the trip meters reset to zero etc then no power. Does it still crank or stay dead for a few minutes (no ignition)?

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thank you so much indeed for your prompt replies, I was positive I could count on some professional expertise around here!

I'll try to answer you questions with a couple of videos I have uploaded on you tube. There are two ways bike responds to ignition:
one in which bike almost ignites but then fails (video 2), and one where it doesn't even try (video 1).You may find videos here:

1) www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XZhopoj8M

2) www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHH3eBAT6o

As you can see the needle does the round at each ignition attempt when bike behaves as in video 1. When bike seems to ignite and then fails (as in video 2), needle doesn't seem to move and also all warning lights don't go off in such cases. Bike is never electrically dead. Trip meters reset to zero.

Also, it rarely happens that in the mornings it wouldn't even consider switching on for the first time.. only solution there is to push the bike downhill in the garage's ramp and switch it on in second gear. I try to recharge the battery every two or three days, one week the latest. But you can imagine that's all too frustrating.. it's like having another cellphone. My previous Street Triple R would do nothing of all this crap.

Anyway, my reseller just kindly agreed to revise the bike again. I'm giving them the DVD with all videos, fingers crossed!

Should you have any further idea please do feel free to suggest as I may then pass info on to the mechanics who will deal with it.
Cheers
donVito

Last edited by donVitoCorleone; 01-25-2013 at 08:20 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
donVito...what batter is on your bike and how long has it been there?
If it is a Koyo, ditch it for the Yuasa and make sure you hook it up with the correct polarity.

My wife's 2010 Brutale 1090RR had very similar symptoms. Changing the battery solved the issue. Koyo (I am assuming that's what is in there) batteries are junk.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Last edited by silentservice703; 01-25-2013 at 08:30 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

If the dash is re-setting its because the voltage is dropping too far meaning the battery isn't up to the job, it also sounds very sluggish on the starter, in addition your auto start doesn't sound to be working as the starter is dropping out too early (am assuming the 990 has auto start). I would try a good quality AGM or Lithium battery first. Also sounds as if you have ECU/sensor issues with the bike cutting out.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Just drop the standard Yuasa in, after a 24 hour initial charge, and you should be fine.

Name:  ytz10s.png
Views: 217
Size:  74.5 KB

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM

,if it is not the battery.it will be the starter motor or starter solenoid,I had a similiar problem with my 1078 ,changed battery ,did not solve the problem ,changed starter motor,did not solve the problem.now just changed the starter solenoid ,now this looks promising,might have just found the issue.went for one ride on saturday past with no starting issues,tried to get out again just to make 100% sure that it was the issue,but it has not stopped raining.I have noticed that the starter motors are not made by Denso in Japan,they have a silvery gold look to them,probably made in china,just not sure.
Good luck,
cheers eddy

should be under Warranty

Last edited by eddypro; 01-25-2013 at 09:44 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM

There is lots of rubbish that comes out of china but its not all bad, so the fact that is made in China doesn't automatically mean its an issue, the Yuasa that was fitted to mine didn't last very long either whereas the Chinese made Lithium battery is very good once warm, they need coaxing back into life if cold or left for a while, buts that's the point they come back to life.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode