My not so great solo trip - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
My not so great solo trip

I haven't been on a multi-day motorcycle trip in about 10 years (got married, moved multiple times, had a kid - life happened!), and I finally did a couple of weeks ago. I live near San Diego, California and took off a few days to drive up to Monterey (where I stayed) along with a day trip from there up to San Francisco.

Sounds like the making of a good trip, right? Well, it rained the first three days of the four day trip. I watched the weather constantly leading up to the trip and it appeared I would miss the rain. I got as far as Santa Maria before it started raining. The best part of the road along the coast south of Monterey, I spent dodging rocks large and small and having no rest because it was raining the entire time.

I gave it a rest the next day by renting a bicycle and riding around Monterey before it started raining again. Third day, all looked clear, so I went up to San Francisco. Yes, it started raining, in Santa Cruz. I didn't bring any rain gear with me (left it in the hotel) and just kept riding through it. After a while it did stop raining, but traffic was far worse than I had hoped it would be and San Francisco ended up being a short visit because I hadn't thought it would take so long to get there. And, of course, near Santa Cruz on the way back I got rained on again all the way back to the hotel. Ugh.

Last day was all clear though chilly, and I did have a nice ride along the coast. By the time I made it Santa Barbara, though, I was done, simply physically and mentally spent. For the next few hours, all I could think about was home - though I stopped several times just to get take a break from the monotonous freeways.

Some lessons learned:
- Put everything in a plastic bag in the saddle bags - rain covers don't work well enough (I learned this years ago, but forgot).
- Don't put so much faith in weather forecasting
- I should not have gone to San Francisco, but gone on a shorter ride locally and visit Laguna Seca for example!
- Hotels suck when you are on your own and it is raining.

The icing on the cake? At one of the gas stations I went to in Malibu, someone got my credit card information and started using it in Glendale. Fortunately I am not liable, but still, really? After that trip I get my credit card information stolen, too?

Anyway, some photos below. The last one shows the bracket I made that attaches behind the license plate and keeps the saddle bags from leaning against the turn signals. Obviously I took it off after the trip, but it worked great.

Anyway, thanks for reading my sob story!
Attached Images

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Sorry to hear about all that. I had my credit card info stolen some time back as well. At least you didn't wreck the bike (I'm always a glass half-full kind of guy...)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM

If I could get the time away I would not care about the card matter (since you're not responsible). You should have headed inland away from the coast, still great roads, just no ocean view.

Either way congrats on the good parts.

Should have gone 150 to 33 to 166.

Last edited by Red Baron; 10-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Look on the bright side - at least you weren't at work!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

lc_brutale;
put WeatherBug and the National Weather Service Radar on your phone....you can "see" the last 1/2 hour of weather, 7 minute delay

fuck so called sealed saddle bags(like my POS BMW ones)...... use SealLine bags, expedition rated stuff
http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline

put your cameras or other electronics in a Pelican case;
http://www.thepelicanstore.com/?gcli...FSmCQgod-UwAjw

or a Haliburton case

get a real rain suit.....
mine is from '71, its made of Hypalon, a DuPont product.......no it does NOT breathe AT ALL......but it is WATERPROOF.....its what they make Zodiac boats out of
and its safety orange too
put waste basket liners in your pocket.....when it starts to rain take your boots off and put the liners over your socks.....the boots will get wet but your feet will be dry......in 12" of water

same thing with your hands, use silk glove liners inside nitrile workshop gloves......the outers will get wet but your hands will be dry and warm

my AeroStitch Darien jacket leaks....
as to the Frank Thomas's et al

so far my 2 MV Lookwell 4 season jackets have been perfect......wish they made pants too

you might look into some of the bicycle stuff.....i carry some Marmot pants on the BMW

in the '70s i lived in Heidelberg, Germany and worked near ZŁrich Switzerland......and spent a lot of time on the E4, in between, as long as it was above freezing......

nothing like 225 mi at 115MPH in 35deg F to make your knees get stiff

PS; when it starts snowing.....put plastic bags over your gloves, the noise is horrible.......but your pinkies will be warm

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM

How was that song again, It never rains in California...

Sorry Guy, just could not resist. Beutiful pics though.

My touring experince is limited, but I learned the hard way to get water tight bags for every thing.
Last summer I vent for a trackday, we had rented a hut by the track so I had to bring a sleepingbag. When we started out in the morning it was really hot, so rain was the last thing on my mind... Sure enough when we had about 100 km left to the track the sky busted open. Instead of the last one hour ride it took two. Coming to the hut absolutly everything, including my self in the leathers, were soaking wet. We turned the heater on max, hanging up the wet sleeping bag and the rest of the gear. Went down town to dine and a few pints. When we returned the sleeping bag was dry, but the hut had turned in to a Sauna! We could not sleep due to the heat and damp. This year we stayed in a hotel instead. Well hope you will not be put off, as they say after rain and so on.

Cheers!
/m

Last edited by CBBOO; 10-30-2012 at 12:25 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Man I been wanting to do something like that for the longest time. Sucks about the weather but I am still jealous! Now I need to get a Brutale!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Wow that's a lot of luggage for a four day trip .

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I know exactly how you feel I rode from the UK to Rimini for the San Marino Moto GP in September. Took 3 days riding down 1000 miles and it bucketed down all the way. Got there Thursday just after lunch and it didn't stop raining until Saturday Lunchtime.
While there the news was full of floods all over Italy
I would show you some pictures but I couldn't be ar**ed to take any
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
Wow that's a lot of luggage for a four day trip .
I could've certainly done with just the saddle bags if necessary, but it wasn't really necessary - none of it was particularly heavy. Just a pair of shoes and jeans practically took up one saddle bag and the underwear, socks, shirts took up the other. The tail bag had food and beverages for the day plus my rain suit.

In order to save money, I didn't eat out and I don't have "travel" shoes that would maybe take up less space (and I didn't want to wear my boots the entire time). When I got to my hotel, I bought food from the grocery store for the rest of my stay (the hotel had fridge and microwave). So... yes, I could have packed lighter, but since I didn't need to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBOO View Post
How was that song again, It never rains in California...
/m
Exactly! Down near San Diego, we haven't gotten any significant rain since probably April of this year - but it is different farther north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
lc_brutale;
put WeatherBug and the National Weather Service Radar on your phone....you can "see" the last 1/2 hour of weather, 7 minute delay

get a real rain suit.....
mine is from '71, its made of Hypalon, a DuPont product.......no it does NOT breathe AT ALL......but it is WATERPROOF.....its what they make Zodiac boats out of
and its safety orange too
I actually do not have a smart phone, but I do have an iPad which I lugged along. On the day I went up to San Francisco, there wasn't any rain on the radar maps and it was still raining!

I actually arrived at the hotel completely dry with the exception of some wetness on the front of my shirt near my neck, so I am pretty happy with the rain suit and boots. I was also wearing my leather/armored pants and jacket underneath. It was everything in the saddle bags that got soaked (I had to go to the Laundromat that night because I needed clothes to wear!). Fortunately, everything in the tail bag (cell phone, iPad, camera, etc) stayed dry. You'll notice in the first photo that the tail bag has a rain cover on it but the saddle bags don't. I had discovered by that time that the rain covers on the saddle bags were actually making it worse, so I just removed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
If I could get the time away I would not care about the card matter (since you're not responsible). You should have headed inland away from the coast, still great roads, just no ocean view.

Either way congrats on the good parts.

Should have gone 150 to 33 to 166.
This is exactly what I should have done instead of going up to San Francisco - stay local around Monterey and enjoy some of the roads. Oh well. Next time!

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode