R1090 hard to start, rough idle when hot - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

R1090 hard to start, rough idle when hot

Hi,

About 4 weeks ago I installed a Microtec on my 2012 R1090 to smooth out the throttle snatch at slow speeds in traffic which it has done brilliantly. Install was fairly easy, the only tricky part is big hands in a tight space and nuts that ideally should be retentive but weren't. That was discovered after loosing the first one and taking 30 minutes to find and retrieve it. The power is smooth at the lower rev range and comes in with a mid range surge with a bonus of better fuel economy, although still nowhere near a friends claimed 4.3L/100Km from his speed triple on a recent 1000Km, 2 day trip

On the down side, starting in cooler weather (between 10 and 16C in the mornings) requires the "choke". Once started it runs OK, and this isn't really the issue. We have had a few hot days recently and I have found that once hot, the idle starts to increase. Initially to around 13-1400rpm and fluctuating but after a couple of hours riding it can get to 1800rpm and lumpy as hell, fluctuating by up to 200rpm or more on the dial. The temperature gauge doesn't get higher than the 1st bar, second segment on the gauge, which is as high as I have ever seen it get. With the microtec the temperature seems to run warmer. Prior to microtec install, the running temperature would generally be cooler when continuous, out of town riding, but maximum temp is the same when the fans kick in.
Bike is almost on 6000Km, running 95RON fuel. No surging or pinking that I can tell, so assuming that fuelling is good and no preignition. The exhaust valve settings are different to standard. Whereas it used to open around 3-4000rpm (and start to snarl) it appears open once running. Not sure if that would be a factor.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what might be going on. I know Chris will get back to me (X-Bikes from whom I bought the Microtec), but he is pretty busy. We have hot weather this weekend in Perth, so was hoping to pick the forum brains for something to try.

Cheers and thanks for any advice

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Wayne;
sounds like a temp sensor problem, ambient or water, the tests are in the manual......you need water, a heat source, thermometer and an Ohm meter

i have a MicroTec on my 910R

no choke ever.....even at 6C last weekend

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Noel,

I did wonder about that and had a look to see if mybe I had disturbed a conection when installing the microtec assuming that it was working OK before. Chris did say that he didn't have starting problems. I will give it a test.

Cheers

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Mine was a pain to start after the Microtec was initially fitted by X bikes, much much better now after the bike went back to Xbikes however it still needs the fast idle when cold and hot and starting isn't as good as std though. Do you have any problem with the map switch or neutral light? As you say though fueling is much better.

K1300R
Diavel
Pushbike

Last edited by billywhizzz; 10-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Tested the temperature sensor and that all works fine. Will reinstall and go for a ride.
Billy Whizz, I haven't tried changing the maps as they are both the same. I do see a lot more neutrals between other gears - the light flashes on regularly when changing gear. It would be great to have Chris somewhere within riding distance, or even the same time zone!
The rideability of the bike is much improved around town with the microtec, which was my main reason for getting it. The starting is a very minor issue, the erratic idle is more of a pain as it is just coming into our warm to hot period. Not knowing the cause of the elevated and erratic idle is a concern as it may be reflected all through the fuelling.
Does your bike get up to temperature faster since installing the microtec? I am sure mine does, but can't be positive. If it was an F4 (a 5 minute job to change ECU's, by the look of it) I would swap it out to see.

Cheers

Wayne
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Wayne,

My 910R runs a lot cooler since installing the Microtec. It did require some finetuning by Chris when he visited downunder earlier in the year, as well as minor follow up by his mate Dominic in Port Macquarie. In particular I had an issue of rough idling when it got hot which coincided with the fan coming on at 84c. This was ironed out by Dominic by altering a couple of settings as well as raising the temp trigger for the fan to come on.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mick,

That's interesting. I have just been out for about 3 hours and even filled up with 98RON out of interest. Temperature is mid 30's today on the way back. No problem at all until coming back through town. After a period of the fan being on constantly, regardless of riding at 80km/h on the freeway, the revs cam e up to ~1600 and hunting. Do you know a bit more of what was changed i the map and configuration?
Other than that, had a fantastic ride!

Cheers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 AM

Wayne,
Sorry, but I'm not sure what adjustments were made by Dominic other than raising the trigger temp for the fan to come on. The thing is, the bike now very rarely reaches the "fan on" temp and when it does, there is no longer any rough idle or throttle issue. At least that was the case last time I rode it, a few months ago. I cannot ride until December but I hope it will still be ok then.
Perhaps you can give him a call on 02 6581 0830 or 0422 300 996
email : [email protected]
Cheers and good luck.
Michel

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode