Gear shift lever adjustment - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Gear shift lever adjustment

Hey there,
I have a 1090R and I wish to lower the gear shift lever just a little bit, so I can improve my up-shifts.

The manual states that, like many other parts, the lever is adjustable. But unlike many other parts, there is no more info about how to perform it.

Any tips?

PS: I was going to post a picture of the gear shift lever, but it seems that if I do so, I am immediately banned :{
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
The 1090R gear and rear brake levers aren't adjustable. I couldn't get comfortable with mine either so tracked down an RR gear lever. The toe piece of the lever rotates to provide the adjustment. Not sure where you are in the world but I have a brand new spare RR gear lever if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info lurch.

What a bummer. I was thinking that if I managed to unscrew that allen bolt right next to the rubber part I would be able to rotate it. But whoever screwed it in the first place used so much power that I could not do it. Afraid of breaking something, I thought I should ask around first

Kudos to the guys responsible for the manual then. Both the 1090R and 1090RR have the same manual, and when a feature is only available for the 1090RR it is clearly indicated. It happens in fact, inside that very page where it is saying that it is adjustable. Not for the gear lever, of course, but for other suspension related stuff. They always place a * near a feature that is only for the RR, which sadly they did not do in the lever adjustment paragraph.

By the way, I am in Brazil right now, so it will probably be a pain for you to sent it to me, but if you are willing to do so, please PM me with the price you are asking (+ shipping). Considering that here the 1090R (and any other vehicle) costs twice as much as in the rest of the world, it will probably be cheaper to pay for a gear leaver that is on the other side of the world than to buy a new one here.

By the way, if there is not way of adjusting (rotating) the tip of the lever, what is the reason of having a bolt there? (the one I circled in red in this picture, which I will not post, since I might get banned again. Simply copy the URL and remove all spaces to see it, and use . instead of "dot")

http:// www dot abload dot de / img / untitledd1u26.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM

There is a way to adjust the position of the lever, just remove the allen bolt from the shifter at the spline, pull the shifter out and turn it up or down and put back on. On my 1090RR I did this and used the toe piece adjuster to get the position where I wanted it.

Stop Global Whining
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

That would work for me, if by spline you mean the part that connect the lever to the bike itself. Could you please point out on that picture the bolt you are talking about, so I can gently ask my dealer to do it?

(sorry, English is not my first language, and I bet that I would not understand you even if you could speak Portuguese hehe)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM

It's the bolt that must come off to remove the lever. There is only one.

Stop Global Whining
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

OK. I will give it a try.

Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills View Post
There is a way to adjust the position of the lever, just remove the allen bolt from the shifter at the spline, pull the shifter out and turn it up or down and put back on. On my 1090RR I did this and used the toe piece adjuster to get the position where I wanted it.
Sorry Ferneu3, I should have mentioned this as well. I tried it on my R but still couldn't get comfortable without the adjustable toe piece
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I'll try, as soon as I manage some free time to go to my dealer. If the position still is not good, I will buy the RR's.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I just came back from the dealer. It turns out that my 1090R shift lever is indeed adjustable. Perhaps it is a 2012 model thingy, I don't know.

So there was a reason for that allen bold near the rubber part after all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode