Brutale 910R surging - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Brutale 910R surging

Hello, everyone. New to the forum and the MV Agusta family. Been dreaming of an MV for many years and finally score a beautiful '08 910R in Denver with no real miles on her. I have to say she's everything i expected. Handels like a hot knife through butter and pulls like a train. The bike's bone stock. Unlike most who own these beasts, being a racer, I like the sharp throttle. The only issue I have, and it doesn't bother me too much, is the surging while trying to hold a steady speed. It's more so at higher speeds but, none the less, always there. On the track it's really a non issue but I ride her on the street, too. Now, I'm no newbie to the two wheeled world and I assume a Power Commander, or possibly an eprom, with a good tune on a dyno will clear most of this up but before I go spending $350 for the PC and $200 on a dyno I thought I'd ask those who have tackled the problem first in case there's another solution I'm unaware of. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
There was a factory update on the ECU mapping to fix the surge at steady throttle 50~60 mph. Don't know if your bike got that or not. Don't know if still available, but Ferraci might as his son Larry was running MV USA when your bike was originally sold.

It can also be minimized with a careful tuning by a tech that knows what he is doing.

But if you want to make it run really good try and get the Corse exhaust and kit ECU !!!! Or if you have bucks get a Microtech.

The PC III won't work well on your bike because of the o2 sensor. The DynoJet oxygen sensor eliminator won't work either, since it sends a constant flat line signal and the ECU wants a varying signal so it knows the sensor is working. Flat line will throw a trouble code and ECU goes to limp home mode.

Many discussions on this subject. Search is your friend.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Welcome Altra Donna. It's strange to say that, for me. I purchased my '06 910S 5 days ago. I am in "new Brutale owner" bliss mode as well.

I have the surge issue, but I'm glad to report that it's only when trying to maintain a specific speed -- at least on my bike. Winding through the canyons, the engine was "true" to throttle adjustment. Doesn't surge when receiving refined instructions, just when trying to hold the throttle absolutely still. That first ride in the canyons, when I had this realization, was a huge relief to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Old Wing Nut

Red Scalpel...the '06 Brutale has the 16M ECU and no o2 sensor. If it is surging then it needs some tuning. And the Power Commander III works well on your bike.

The '08 is a completely different EFI system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 AM

Got it. Thanks. I have the first year of the 910, and EFI wasn't quite perfected, you might say.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Established Member

get a power commander 3 & a good dyno tuner & you will be in heaven!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Esq'z me, thoughts on an FBF Stage 1 EPROM. Just received my Arrow Thunder full exhaust and BMC air filter and, as you've said, PClll is apparently not an option for my '08.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
There is no eprom for your ecu, only on the early ones. You have to swap the entire unit.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Kit ECU?

Altra donna;
you need a Kit ECU for a 910R?

PM me

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Altra donna;
you need a Kit ECU for a 910R?

PM me
And there is your answer....

Just remember, after installing the kit ECU you will need to hook up VDST and set the TPS...and with the kits ECU it will be advisable to hook up the gas analyzer and trim the idle CO.

Both of these essential tuning steps require the VDST software and cable. If you are near Atlanta I would be happy to help, as I have the tools needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode