Confused - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Confused

I literally came of a Honda CB1000R (now a write off) Prior to the CB1K I had a Cagiva Raptor. Reason for the trade in was the in my opinion superior handling of the Honda.

But since then I felt that Honda is to mainstream for me and I have always loved the Brutale. However reading this forum and different tests combined with different options I begin to feel confused. Here is my candidates:

2006 Brutale 910 S with only 9500km on the ODO hub and PSU changed and well looked after 8.777

2007 Brutale 910R with only 600 km on the ODO with full 2 year warranty, 2010 Hub and Corse decat and ECU chip 13,000

2012 Brutale 1090R only 1500 km on ODO compleatly stock and 2 year warranty 12,000

Obviosly I will get around 7.777 for the Honda and I opt for the Brute 910S for financial reasons and it looks really good..

But I am also into one of the others. But some one told me that the new Brutales like the 1090R are more "budget" builds and that the 910R is the way to go.

But what I am looking for is Handling, handling, handling and after that sexappeal. I am not a novice and are slowly becoming more of a advanced rider. But I am not the guy fiddeling around with the suspention all the time. The bike is mainly used for twistie B-roads and track days.

Can you guys help me sort things out I am going crazy and on top of this just waiting around for the insurance company to give me the verdict...

Since I am injured I cant make any test drives right now and all the bikes are at different locations all far from where I live,,,

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sorry to here of your injuries and the write off of your Honda. Hope you heal well and quickly.....and welcome to the forum/family!!!

My opinion (for what it's worth...which is very little) get the 910R......the 910S you are looking at is the older 16M ECU. The 910R has the later 5SM system which fires the plugs and injectors sequentially (the old tech 16M system fires them in pairs).

The 910R has superior brakes and suspension...not to mention the ultra light wheels !!!

The newer bikes have their advantages, but getting the 910R with the corsa exhaust and ECU (not a chip in 5SM system) AND the updated rear hub....with 2 years warranty!!!! No brainer for me.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.
Qustion though, what are the advantages of the newer 1090R except for the year of make?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM

If I had the funds I would take the 910R every time.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM

I would go with the 910R too, but those prices seem a bit too high.
Where are you located?
BTW that 910R has the Corse system or just the decat mid pipe?
Heal up quickly and welcome.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Its just the decat midpipe and BMC filter..
Well prices are what they are...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBOO View Post
Thanks for your input.
Qustion though, what are the advantages of the newer 1090R except for the year of make?

Cheers!
The 1090R has newer and better fuel mapping and more torque (which you probably will never take advantage of). Also has a new improved (maybe) meter.

The disadvantages is the suspension is not as upgraded, the wheels are not as light, and (some say) the build quality is downgraded.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Big Randaddy

The cool kids all ride 910Rs........As for sex appeal, get ready, because the chicks dig Brutie riders. It's a scientific fact.....look it up.

Now our weak wristed F4 brethren will protest vehemently, but you must forgive them, because they are all posers.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 10-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM

I would say the 910S is out. For me the brakes feel barely adequate on the 910 S.

Between the other two, each has its advantages. Before you decide between the other two consider a few things:

How tall are you? The 2010 and newer models are significantly roomier. Anyone over 5'10" may feel cramped on the 910.

How experienced and agressive rider are you? The newer bikes are a lot smoother and more civilized. The more well mannered behaviour of the newer bike make it easier to ride especially in town, around traffic and commuting. I think for an average rider the newer bike is better suited and it still is a fun ride for any rider.

The 910 has a very agressive, somewhat unrefined, hot-rod character. I like it because it is not perfect. You need to understand and be able to adopt to the bikes strengths and weaknesses to truly enjoy it, i.e. you need to be a more experienced and agressive rider. The harder you ride it the better it feels.
If you have the skills to do that, there is hardly a more rewarding motorcycle out there - BUT, most riders' skill levels are not high enough!! That is why most magazines kind of bashed the 910R - defenitely not for everyone, especially compaed to nakeds from othe manufacturers.
It's kind of like a double whiskey straight up vs. a Mai Tai cocktail!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4-1NXS View Post
Q.? does the 910R have built in grab rail under tail like the new 920, 990 & 1080

I cannot remember, just curious.
yes, Roy, it does

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode