oil spill - weird place - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

oil spill - weird place

I've never had oil regurgitate from a bike in this particular location, to the side of the kickstand (area in blue). I didn't think to take a picture at the time, but the blue area is exactly where the outline of oil was. Should I be worried? And why could I not find any leak? I took it for an 8 mile ride (arguably a longer rider than my last 5...still a little nervous after last summer, bear with me), left it in a parking lot for 10 mins, came out, notice about 400ml (!) of oil in a nice round patch jut off to the side of the bike. The oil wasn't there before, where the hell would it come from.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 PM

New Site Garage
It's probably coolant. This happened to me last year.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...hlight=coolant

Brutale 910R Hydrogen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And White bullet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

definitely oil - just short of tasting it, I did give it a whiff.
the only other explanation would have been someone parking another bike very close to mine in that 10 minute space, just to dump some oil, presumably. i would have noticed the oil on the way in, as I would have dismounted in the pool.

Last edited by two_daily; 03-22-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Is it related to the weld you had done?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

no - that was absolutely the first place I checked. unless someone, honestly, really, for whatever ridiculous incentive, dumped a half liter of oil on the lot next to the bike. freaking mystery.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 PM
cus

maybe someone parked an early triumph next to you. check sump/pan gasket near sidestand as they can distort and leak, mine did and loosening pan bolts and realigning gasket fixed it. Don`t ever sit on an MV with the stand down (as in putting your body weight on the stand) they cant handle it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
maybe someone parked an early triumph next to you. check sump/pan gasket near sidestand as they can distort and leak, mine did and loosening pan bolts and realigning gasket fixed it. Don`t ever sit on an MV with the stand down (as in putting your body weight on the stand) they cant handle it.
Well already broke that rule about 100 times,
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 PM
cus

"they cant handle it", might be a bit harsh but the stand mounts to the cast aluminium(aluminum if you`re so inclined) sump and puts side load on same. Cast aluminium doesn`t like that very much. The stand is really only there to support the bike. That`s just my opinion.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Thruan
Hi. Pic won't show up for me at the moment. But from the area you describe, check the oil pressure sensor. They break internally and oil runs out the middle of the sensor.

It's the forward most sensor on that side of the engine.

If it is that. There is an alternate part, a whole $8. It's close enough to the exact same thing. Same thread, depth, elec connector, only difference is it measures a slightly different pressure range. Compared to the price that mv want for the same thing. and it works perfectly.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
400 ml of oil would be a huge puddle (a little oil makes a big mess), and you should have seen a noticeable drop in your oil level in the sight glass.
Clean everything thoroughly with brake cleaner and then use a non-scented dry foot powder spray (original desenex works well) to coat the areas of the engine where oil may have come from. The oil leak will quickly show as a brown stain in the white powder.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode